Corner Turned | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Corner Turned

My hesitancy in saying the corner is turned, is that while this is a "different" offense, I thought the corner may have been turned after last years WVU game. We were all giddy then too. We know what happened. So, like Jeremy, while I am greatly encouraged, they have to show me a couple more times to be fully convinced. I hope we have turned the corner.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

My hesitancy in saying the corner is turned, is that while this is a "different" offense, I thought the corner may have been turned after last years WVU game. We were all giddy then too. We know what happened. So, like Jeremy, while I am greatly encouraged, they have to show me a couple more times to be fully convinced. I hope we have turned the corner.

From a big picture 1-85, what they are capable as a team, it's night and day based on yesterday. They ran a bunch of guys who hadn't played a snap of D-1 football out there that performed well. Two of five best players on the team were wearing baseball caps, and will be back for the majority of the season.

They get the right guard position improved, and get Jones, Walls and hopefully Raymon rotating inside and this thing will really take off.

I am not so sure how good NW really is. Their D looked really weak especially the secondary. I like the new look offense and I think the D was improved but I would not get so excited after losing to a very average at best NW team. I am sure we will get better but so will everyone else. Time will tell.

We're not sure either. Like SU, there are lots of question marks for NU after this one. Venric Mark was a bright spot, but the secondary doesn't look much better than last year's at least yet. SU looked like a good offense (at least once they adjusted in the 2nd half). It certainly was an entertaining game, which is something we've gotten used to.

One other note: There were a lot of predictions on the season prediction thread here that had SU beating NU, but losing to Minny. After yesterday, I would be more confident that SU will win in the Twin Cities.

Northwestern will be lucky to win 4 Big 10 games this year, which is saying something because they don't get Ohio State or Wisconsin and get a walking on fumes Penn State program (where they have a shot).

I liked the play calling and way the offense was formulated. I thought our offensive line, especially our left side, was very good. But there were SO many mistakes. Mistakes that simply cannot be made. Mistakes in all facets of the game.

To me nothing has changed whatsoever with regard to how I viewed this season. SU had 10 winnable games, one game it should definitely win and one game they should definitely lose. Well we dropped one of the winnable games. I would fully expect that we will play well for one quarter against USC until Monte Kiffin is satisfied that no SU skill players can beat physical man-to-man coverage. At that point, we will struggle mightily to move the ball. As for the rest of the season, excluding Stoney Brook, are toss-ups in one form or another. We indeed do have depth finally. This should help as the season toils on.

As for the poster that thinks Nassib is going to be drafted in the 2nd round of the 2013 NFL draft ... umm... I hope Nassib is successful beyond his/our wildest dreams. But even should he lead SU to a 11-2 record this year (including nice bowl victory), he will NOT be drafted in the first two rounds of the NFL draft. Simply won't happen. Thinking so, is simply not understanding NFL football, NFL scouting and the draft.

An observation from a friend who called me last night. Hes not a Syracuse fan, was flipping between the PSU game and Cuse game. Watched most of our game. Says verbatim "holy **** you guys looked good, how the **** did you lose!?" I said did you see all the mistakes, special teams blown assignments and penalties? He says "yea but at least thats correctable, your offense is damn good".

I agree, but we cant make those mistakes and that seems to be a recurring theme now with Marrone teams.

We took NW to the woodshed and lost. For a team that desperately needs to make a bowl game and is staring at a probable 0-2 start after USC next weekend, this better be the last game we outplay someone and lose.

Side question.. Our defense looked solid but I expect USC to put points up on them, but how is USC's defense? Could our offense possibly turn this into a shootout?

I can't disagree too much with the 4 wins in the Big (Indy, Minny, PSU, either Iowa or Ill). That and 3-1 in OOC gets us to 7-5, which was my expectation. Vandy next week scares me.

quote="TheOrangeBuddha, post: 344015, member: 157"]Northwestern will be lucky to win 4 Big 10 games this year, which is saying something because they don't get Ohio State or Wisconsin and get a walking on fumes Penn State program (where they have a shot).

I liked the play calling and way the offense was formulated. I thought our offensive line, especially our left side, was very good. But there were SO many mistakes. Mistakes that simply cannot be made. Mistakes in all facets of the game.

To me nothing has changed whatsoever with regard to how I viewed this season. SU had 10 winnable games, one game it should definitely win and one game they should definitely lose. Well we dropped one of the winnable games. I would fully expect that we will play well for one quarter against USC until Monte Kiffin is satisfied that no SU skill players can beat physical man-to-man coverage. At that point, we will struggle mightily to move the ball. As for the rest of the season, excluding Stoney Brook, are toss-ups in one form or another. We indeed do have depth finally. This should help as the season toils on.

As for the poster that thinks Nassib is going to be drafted in the 2nd round of the 2013 NFL draft ... umm... I hope Nassib is successful beyond his/our wildest dreams. But even should he lead SU to a 11-2 record this year (including nice bowl victory), he will NOT be drafted in the first two rounds of the NFL draft. Simply won't happen. Thinking so, is simply not understanding NFL football, NFL scouting and the draft.[/quote]

USC held Hawaii to 10 points and 267 total yards (209 passing / 58 rushing).

I can't disagree too much with the 4 wins in the Big (Indy, Minny, PSU, either Iowa or Ill). That and 3-1 in OOC gets us to 7-5, which was my expectation. Vandy next week scares me.]

RMDCat - I'm rooting for you to surpass the 4 conference win. But, if I were a NW fan, I'd be very happy that you notched the victory yesterday. But I would also be very concerned going forward as there are some major areas of immediate upgrade needed. Hopefully Vandy shot their wad last weekend and will come into Evanston uninspired. Good luck the rest of the way.

I agree that the program is moving in the right direction. I felt that Hack called a very solid game yesterday which in my opinion was the first game that he actually got to call on his own. The D is going to be something by the end of the year and the O Should average high 20's all year long. I actually think that this is the year we finish strong. I can see us coming in First or Second in the Big East if we catch a few breaks. I feel as if we need to play Morris this year and im not sure what type of role AAM will have now that we have gone to the Indy O. Kobena was very impressive came out his breaks much better than last year cant wait to see the kid improve each week. Other than the Specials which were beyond horrible again i felt that every aspect of the team improved. I also thought that Alexander in spite of back to back motion penalties settled down and played a solid game and yes i cant believe im saying this Mack played lights out. Lets give Doug that extension now and i had a little crow last night on the grill for Hack. Shafer continues to be a genius in my mind as he had many many new players on the field yesterday against a high powered O and they dominated. If we play NW ten times we win 8. Go Cuse nice to see a real team again.

As much as the offense has apparently improved, the defense is still poor, if not worse than a year ago. Let a backup QB who's never played before drive down the field for the game-winning touchdown. Pathetic.

I'm not going to jump up and down after that.

Barkley and Co. could put up 80 next week. And I'm not exaggerating.

Boy, I disagree. The defense played well yesterday- much better than lat yesr.

As much as the offense has apparently improved, the defense is still poor, if not worse than a year ago. Let a backup QB who's never played before drive down the field for the game-winning touchdown. Pathetic.

That QB played in 8 games last year and was fairly successful. And NW has a good group of WRs, including Prater the USC transfer who was out there on that final drive.

Fitzgerald made that substitution not because of an injury..that kid is a better passer than the starter and he made one hell of a throw on that last TD.

Are they Barkley and co.? Heck no...but you are selling them short

Barkley and company will try to put up 80, that's for sure. They need to keep up with what Alabama did last night. To match a neutral site 34 point beat down of Michigan, they will feel like they need to beat us by 60. They will not let up. Up to us to stop them.

USC held Hawaii to 10 points and 267 total yards (209 passing / 58 rushing).

I wasn't able see much of that game but did see a little of the 2nd quarter when the score was already 32-0. I am surprised that Hawaii was even able to score 10 points as the pocket just kept collapsing on their QB.

I think I may have had the same title to a post after the WVU game last year so be careful. We are clearly headed in the right direction on both sides of the ball and we outplayed a mid level b1G team rather significantly.

But IMO turning the proverbial corner can only happen if you pull out the W there. I certainly saw a lot that I liked but im going to save that "corner" moment until a bigger win later in the year.

I predicted 7-5 but one of those wins was NW. I'm going to keep my prediction at 7-5 though because I now think we will pick up an extra win down the road somewhere. 8-4, 9-3 may be a stretch but this is certainly a bowl team this year. It has to be.

And I hope people begin to appreciate Nassib a bit more this year. He's a nice career thus far and is going to break all sorts of record. I would love to see the kid do so going out with an 8 or 9 win season that's for sure. Hope you are right there.
I feel better about yesterday than WVU. WVU was all breakdowns. Great but not a blueprint. It's weird to say i feel better about a loss top a worse team than the one we beat. But yesterday tells me more about the future than wvu

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

USC might be a few pro teams. They have size speed and talent at every position. I will be shocked if they dont end up playing bama for the title. It will take a miracle to win this game

USC might be a few pro teams. They have size speed and talent at every position. I will be shocked if they dont end up playing bama for the title. It will take a miracle to win this game
USC would lose by 100 to every pro team. Don't even start with that.

And everyone thought they were unbeatable in 2007 when Stanford beat them. I don't think we will, but we'll give them a game.

And everyone thought they were unbeatable in 2007 when Stanford beat them. I don't think we will, but we'll give them a game.
No they wouldnt i believe they could stay within 30 points of half the teams and they might actually give a couple of pro teams a decent game. Their running back, QB, both WR's TE, at least two OL and two DL a corner a safety and one LB will be playing on Sundays. I think that Barkley starts for which ever team selects him in the first round. These guys are loaded and we are going to have our hands full. I do think we will play a good game but in the end i expect us to lose by 25 or more as they are going to be out for bcs votes

I feel better about yesterday than WVU. WVU was all breakdowns. Great but not a blueprint. It's weird to say i feel better about a loss top a worse team than the one we beat. But yesterday tells me more about the future than wvu

I'm in the same boat.

USC would only lose by 10 to the Bills.

Bitches

Totally cold post, haven't read the board or paper but SU dominated everywhere but the scoreboard yesterday.

I revise my season prediction from 7-5 to 8-4, and wouldn't be surprised if doesn't turn out better. The offense did that without it's best OL and WR, Holy cow. I was expecting improvement but I wasn't expecting that much. Different team out there guys and girls. I can see 7-0, 6-1 in the BE.

You spot a bad team 28 pts, let alone a mid level Big 10 team, you should get smoked, not lose on a nonsense PF with less than a minute left in the game. That was like NCST, OU (2x), UT, PSU (the fumble), @Minny giveaways. And that might not be the worst thing in the world, those were very good teams with What losses. If losing to a good NWestern team is a What loss, that tells me the program has come a long way.

This team has some ceiling left to, Pugh, Lemon, Stevens, Thompson, more Broyld, maybe Morris, the new DT's.

Ran into Alec Lemon and his family in the Armory, he thinks he'll be ready to go next week, and he really wants to play against SC. Before yesterday I would have wanted him and Pugh to sit it out, now if they both aren't pushing it before they are ready, give it go at shocking the world.

Quick hits: DE could turn out to be the best safety in the program since Darius. Shamarko is a freaking beast. Goggins has turned it up a notch. I don't think Nassib was sacked once on 60 passing attempts. Thanks for joining the program Chris and Markus. Send it in Jerome, kid is a different player, much faster than before. Who knew Kobena could catch the ball.

Disappointing outcome, but the program is heading in the right direction.

Corner turned? We LOST to a middle of the road team at HOME.

You, and Ottointhegrotto, may very well be right about that. I'm just a bit skittish on even uttering the phrase "turned corner" until we actually start stringing together a few more of these types of games. For the record, I think we're going to do just that.

Bitches

Totally cold post, haven't read the board or paper but SU dominated everywhere but the scoreboard yesterday.

I revise my season prediction from 7-5 to 8-4, and wouldn't be surprised if doesn't turn out better. The offense did that without it's best OL and WR, Holy cow. I was expecting improvement but I wasn't expecting that much. Different team out there guys and girls. I can see 7-0, 6-1 in the BE.

You spot a bad team 28 pts, let alone a mid level Big 10 team, you should get smoked, not lose on a nonsense PF with less than a minute left in the game. That was like NCST, OU (2x), UT, PSU (the fumble), @Minny giveaways. And that might not be the worst thing in the world, those were very good teams with What losses. If losing to a good NWestern team is a What loss, that tells me the program has come a long way.

This team has some ceiling left to, Pugh, Lemon, Stevens, Thompson, more Broyld, maybe Morris, the new DT's.

Ran into Alec Lemon and his family in the Armory, he thinks he'll be ready to go next week, and he really wants to play against SC. Before yesterday I would have wanted him and Pugh to sit it out, now if they both aren't pushing it before they are ready, give it go at shocking the world.

Quick hits: DE could turn out to be the best safety in the program since Darius. Shamarko is a freaking beast. Goggins has turned it up a notch. I don't think Nassib was sacked once on 60 passing attempts. Thanks for joining the program Chris and Markus. Send it in Jerome, kid is a different player, much faster than before. Who knew Kobena could catch the ball.

Disappointing outcome, but the program is heading in the right direction.
Agree with much of what you have to say. Everything I wanted done with the offense was changed, I was delighted at the approach for this game.

Will they stay with it the rest of the season? I hope so. Like you say, when Pugh, Lemon, Stevens and even HoneyBear return (maybe Flemming too), the tools available will just get better. We won't have the element of surprise anymore, but this approach at least has the capability of scoring a lot of points, captivating the fan base again and getting big name recruits on offense interested in Syracuse again.

If they stay with this, I can see Broyld being an almost ideal fit running things from QB. Though Allen looks like he could be tremendous as well, and Wilson looks really promising too (haven't seen as much film on him though).

The future looks bright. It is good to say it out loud (or type it silently but on a public forum, which feels like the same thing).

The Bills would beat USC 81-0. 11 touchdowns, two safeties.

Oh wait, USC has ten guys that will be in NFL rookie camp in a few months, they'll totally keep it close.

NWestern is a good team. They've been a very good to excellence offense for a long time. They saw Danny in there and attacked him with a wheel route. It happens.
Northwestern's DBs are terrible.

we lost to a middle b10 team.. reverse the punting and TO gaffs and we win by 40. much easier to fix 4 plays then try to fix 40 plays..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom