Could Chukwu develop into Rudy Gobert. | Syracusefan.com

Could Chukwu develop into Rudy Gobert.

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
FYI: Gobert just signed a $102 million dollar contract extension today. However, here was his nbadraft.com profile and his NBA comparison player was Shawn Bradley.

Rudy Gobert | NBADraft.net

Sounds funny, but Bradley did play 12 years in the NBA. Gobert was a steal as the 27th pick in the draft three years ago (and wears 27 as a reminder). His first season, as a 21 year old, Gobert averaged 2.3 ppg and 3.4 rpg in 9.6 minutes. Last year, his third, he averaged 9.1 ppg and 11.0 rpg in 31.7 mpg.

Last year Gobert led the NBA in defensive FG% within 5 feet at 41%. Could this be where Chukwu is in three years. Not today, but in three years. You can't buy height and you can't buy length and Chukwu has both.

Last edited:
Baby steps. I want to see him be an effective college player on the defensive end first.

Gobert has a ton of drive. He really wants to be great.

If that's what Chukwu has, we're in for something special.

I think Gobert's on a different level athletically. His shoulders are much broader, and he has exceptional agility. Not having seen Chukwu, I'll be interested to see his lateral movement. But he's never going to be strong like Gobert.

can he develop a dependable hook shot plus one other real low post offensovr move?

if so, he's got a shot

I think Gobert's on a different level athletically. His shoulders are much broader, and he has exceptional agility. Not having seen Chukwu, I'll be interested to see his lateral movement. But he's never going to be strong like Gobert.

And a 7'9" wingspan with a solid offensive game that includes a midrange jumper.

0% chance.

Give chukey some credit. Did you see the list of names on the Jabbar watch list. It's very nondescript. There is no way that you will know how he will develop over a three year period. Fab Melo could have been a contender with his progression from year one to two, but his demons won the battle.

Holy smokes the Nba is giving away money.
They're rolling in cash. Revenue is up and they have a peaceful labor situation (50/50 with players). There are fewer players in the NBA compared a 40-man roster for baseball or 53 for football, so that money is divided up between a handful of guys. The only thing keeping it from getting cray-cray is their salary cap. If LeBron wasn't restricted, he'd be making $100m a year.

That was my first thought; I've never seen Chukwu play; but I find it really hard to believe he has the ability to move like Gobert.

FYI: Gobert just signed a $102 million dollar contract extension today. However, here was his nbadraft.com profile and his NBA comparison player was Shawn Bradley.

Rudy Gobert | NBADraft.net

Sounds funny, but Bradley did play 12 years in the NBA. Gobert was a steal as the 27th pick in the draft three years ago (and wears 27 as a reminder). His first season, as a 21 year old, Gobert averaged 2.3 ppg and 3.4 rpg in 9.6 minutes. Last year, his third, he averaged 9.1 ppg and 11.0 rpg in 31.7 mpg..

Just for some perspective, Chukwu has been 21 for nearly 6 months already.

The NBA literally has to spend the money they are. It's like, collectively bargained and everything.

Give chukey some credit. Did you see the list of names on the Jabbar watch list. It's very nondescript. There is no way that you will know how he will develop over a three year period. Fab Melo could have been a contender with his progression from year one to two, but his demons won the battle.

It's not about giving 72 credit, but what about the credit to Gobert and the work he's put in. He's 24 years old, averaged 9.5 rebounds and 2.3 blocks a game as a 22 year old in 26 minutes a game and 11 RPG as a 23 year old. Gobert didn't come from nowhere, he may have been drafted #27 but there were talks that he could end up in the lottery. Couple of things you can't learn, 9'7" standing reach and a 7'9" wingspan.

Gobert is legit, if 72 was half of the potential of RG he wouldn't have sat out a year to come here, he would have gone to the NBA draft instead.

It's not about giving 72 credit, but what about the credit to Gobert and the work he's put in. He's 24 years old, averaged 9.5 rebounds and 2.3 blocks a game as a 22 year old in 26 minutes a game and 11 RPG as a 23 year old. Gobert didn't come from nowhere, he may have been drafted #27 but there were talks that he could end up in the lottery. Couple of things you can't learn, 9'7" standing reach and a 7'9" wingspan.

Gobert is legit, if 72 was half of the potential of RG he wouldn't have sat out a year to come here, he would have gone to the NBA draft instead.

I think the issue here is that we don't really know, right? I don't know Gobert -- this is literally the first time I've heard his name -- so I'll take everyone's word for the fact that Chukwu won't be Gobert. But that doesn't prevent him from being a really good player, a defensive force and a guy who carves out a relatively long, fairly lucrative NBA career. Will he do that? I don't know, but if JB and staff are willing to take a chance on a transfer who's 7+-feet tall, that's an indication that they at least believe there is more there to develop.

Regardless, he'll be an interesting one to watch and the question that is certainly relevant will be just how good could the kid be? Hibbert was a guy I thought was a stiff for the most part and then he got pretty darned good and had/has a solid nba career. It's not impossible.

Is he 100 million legit?

Is he 100 million legit?

With the current NBA economy, his age, his measurables, and what he's been able to do in such a short time. I'd say so. I'd take him over Adams any day of the week.

My posts are not knocking PC at all, but you have to remember that PC couldn't get off the bench in the Big East while Rudy was playing more minutes in the best league in the world at the same age. Two years since, one is signing a 100 million dollar contract and the other may not even get half the minutes at the center position for us.

To be quite honest, the only similarity between the two is that they're both between 7'1" and 7'2".

He's probably the best rim protector in the league. I would say he's easily $100 million legit.
Gobert stifled your 7'3" guy today. Had a nice posterizing dunk and then blocked him on the other end.
14908326_1462663033751815_4734550509645829371_n.jpg

Just so we're clear on how good Gobert is. Here's a link to his rim protection stats. (limited to players who defended a minimum of 200 shots at the rim last year). Last year, Rudy was the best rim protector in the league, holding players to 41% shooting at the rim. When he was at the rim, opponents shot 41% on the easiest shots in the game! Jerami Grant is actually pretty high up the list as well.

NBA.com/Stats

Just so we're clear on how good Gobert is. Here's a link to his rim protection stats. (limited to players who defended a minimum of 200 shots at the rim last year). Last year, Rudy was the best rim protector in the league, holding players to 41% shooting at the rim. When he was at the rim, opponents shot 41% on the easiest shots in the game! Jerami Grant is actually pretty high up the list as well.

NBA.com/Stats
He has a 9'7" standing reach. He could pick someone's pocket from across the room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom