Could Shafer had duplicated Baber's success? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Could Shafer had duplicated Baber's success?

Shafe is a career coordinator who rose to his level of incompetence per Peter Principle.

Not his fault, but we are blessed to have Dino.

I think Shafer record is about the same to Dino's over the past two years...maybe a win or 2 more even. The difference is there's much more hope and optimism with Dino. With Dino, i feel like we could potentially compete for an ACC championship. I didn't have that feeling with Shafer...6 wins was the ceiling with him.

Let's hope Babers doesn't duplicate Shafers "success"

EjyxD.gif

Maybe, if the damn lawyers hadn't shutdown the NCAA Football video games.

I think OP just set me two steps back and the program 3.

The next 3 games will either validate the Clemson win and close games or not let's see 2 home wins !

You have to build a program from the ground up, there are always a few parts and pieces left over from the prior regime. Much like when Marrone took over, but you have to build depth, put your systems in and continue to build and recruit and always be developing the talent you have recruited. Much like when Marrone got us to a bowl game the 2nd year ( albeit in the Big East) but took a step back the 3rd year because of a ton of injuries, got off to a rough start the 4th year and then once Pugh came back we went on a hell of a run where things came back together and we played like a legit top 25 game the 2nd half of the season.

The thing about Marrone and Dino is there were moments one could believe we were heading in right direction. Marrone and Dino both had some nice wins along the way, Shafer did not. You could literally see the future. Shafer not so much.

Rebuilding a program doesn't always look like 4 wins one year, 6 the next, 7-8 the year after, 9-10 the year after that, it's just too simplistic to think that way, there are a ton of factors, bumps in the road, moments of brilliance and steps backward, it's the process for lack of a better word.

What I don't understand is that many fans act as if we have not been through this together and if Dino wins 5 games as if there is real cause for concern, there isn't you just have to continue to keep building, it will happen with this staff. People love the post game speeches but that doesn't change the uphill battle

The I Love Dino posts but we need 6 wins this year is hogwash, 6 wins and a bowl game would be great but does not change the long term vision one bit. Maybe some need to change from Miller Lite to tequila but it's still going to take some time. The other one that gets me is that when somebody states "Dino and his staff have never done it at the P5 level" pure crap, IMO. He just needs to keep upgrading talent, he also has inherited a brutal schedule which he has to try and sift through every year, it's not easy. I am not making excuses just living in the real world

I will throw GROB quote in there to end this, " you have to keep hanging in there, keep hanging!!"

HA!!!!!

Last edited:
I don’t think people gave Marrone enough credit for what he did here in building from nothing. I wish he had stuck around a while longer to see what he could of done

I don’t think people gave Marrone enough credit for what he did here in building from nothing. I wish he had stuck around a while longer to see what he could of done

A coach who is rebuilding has to pass the look test for year or two. Competing, building, plan in place, making staff better, stop gap fixes where needed as best you can. etc. Dino and Marrone -- YES. Shafer 100% NO. Cut and dry.

The home stretch of Marrone's 3rd year was just brutal but personally I learned a valuable lesson there, the guy was great his first two years, step back 3rd year for sure but why? Ridiuclous injuries and a lack of real depth on the roster due to many reasons. mostly from flipping the roster which was a necessary evil but you just have to hang in there.

Last edited:
not winning games and not having a chance to win are 2 different things even if both mean losses. to have had a legit chance to win these 4 road games with the talent gap is crazy..

A coach who is rebuilding has to pass the look test for year or two. Competing, building, plan in place, making staff better, stop gap fixes where needed as best you can. etc. Dino and Marrone -- YES. Shafer 100% NO. Cut and dry.

The home stretch of Marrone's 3rd year was just brutal but personally I learned a valuable lesson there, the guy was great his first two years, step back 3rd year for sure but why? Ridiuclous injuries and a lack of real depth on the roster due to many reasons. mostly from flipping the roster which was a necessary evil but you just have to hang in there.
Nice Grobinism.

not winning games and not having a chance to win are 2 different things even if both mean losses. to have had a legit chance to win these 4 road games with the talent gap is crazy..

Agreed and to pull and upset or two in the meantime doesn't mean that the talent gap isn't there and when we lose games it doesn't always mean we were outcoached either. The gap is still very prevalent, IMO. It doesn't mean that Clemson, FSU, Miami still don't have more talent than we have. What it means is that the current staff at Syracuse needs more time to continue to develop and recruit their guys for their system because I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Syracuse will NEVER have more talent than the big boys of the ACC. what we will have is a really good staff with talent recruited for their scheme who are developed from day one under their S&C program etc. It's the right plan, it was the right plan under Doug and the right plan under Dino.

True

Agreed and to pull and upset or two in the meantime doesn't mean that the talent gap isn't there and when we lose games it doesn't always mean we were outcoached either. The gap is still very prevalent, IMO. It doesn't mean that Clemson, FSU, Miami still don't have more talent than we have. What it means is that the current staff at Syracuse needs more time to continue to develop and recruit their guys for their system because I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Syracuse will NEVER have more talent than the big boys of the ACC. what we will have is a really good staff with talent recruited for their scheme who are developed from day one under their S&C program etc. It's the right plan, it was the right plan under Doug and the right plan under Dino.

Exactly. There is no inherent reason why Baylor should be winning double digit games in the B12, but they did. Fact is with this system you obviously need a quality QB and some some speed outside. You don't need 4 or 5 star OL, need nimbler guys who can block in space and work as a unit. Washington St. has been grobian bad in the Pac.

Absolutely not. The team got worse year to year. There was no improvement or anything positive you could take away at season's end.

Yeah, people who give Shafer the benefit of the doubt are thinking of some of the positives, but recruiting was bad and his teams were trending worse. Two years out he'd now be fielding a team of 5'7" defenders and I'd hate to think of how the offensive line would look.