Court storm | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Court storm

FWIW, Duke stormed the court against Va Tech in 2005. Duke was ranked #1 at the time, Va Tech was unranked.

When I was a student at UNC we stormed the court after beating Duke one year. It was just one of those things. I would prefer if we didn't, but I don't really have a problem with it. Have fun. No reason to take things so seriously. At the end of the day it is just a game, after all.

North Carolina is #26 in the AP Poll this week they aren't really struggling that much. They have What losses, but also had wins over Louisville, Kentucky, and Michigan State already. North Carolina is one of the top 3 teams of all-time I get this win was cool, but if they are storming the court I guess everyone can do it.

If it was a last second shot it would have made more sense to me to storm.

I liked the idea in that thread a couple weeks ago about storming the court after every home win. Duke, UNC, Louisville, Indiana, Nova, Pitt, Cornell, St. Francis, Fordham, High Point, who cares. Hell, storm the court after an exhibition win against D2 Ryerson. That would be awesome.

All I know is if we win I am so storming the man cave.

On second thought, why wait until the game is over before they storm the court? Why not storm during pre-game or even at the halftime whistle? That would really throw the LOG into the opponent. And it could be our tradition, like the standing before the first basket, except this would actually be original.

This is Duke vs UNC. This is THE game of the year for both schools. This likely goes beyond Georgetown for us. Many more years of rivalry than the two of us. Think how you'd feel at if your biggest rival was 8 miles away.
Add this to the fact that UNC has struggled mightily early this year and it makes perfect sense to me.

People seem to have short memories. UNC students have been storming the court after big Duke wins for almost two decades. Even when UNC was #2 and Duke was #1 in '98, UNC students stormed the court. UNC students stormed the court in 2005 after beating Duke for the ACC Title. That was a national title year. Seriously. Who cares? Does anyone diminish the '05 title because students stormed the court after defeating Duke a month earlier? I'm probably one of the few who even remembers that. This is just another media-generated talking point that will have people exerting useless energy on a useless topic. Sports are supposed to be fun and the irony is, as soon as "blue blood" fans begin referencing their elite status, the same people admonishing the court storming will be calling those fans arrogant or "wine and cheese." Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Oh, by the way: Duke students stormed the court in 2005...after defeating Virginia Freaking Tech.

Last edited:
People seem to have short memories. UNC students have been storming the court after big Duke wins for almsot two decades. Even when UNC was #2 and Duke was #1 in '98, UNC students stormed the court. UNC students stormed the court in 2005 after beating Duke for the ACC Title. That was a national title year. Seriously. Who cares? Does anyone diminish the '05 title because students stormed the court after defeating Duke a month earlier? I'm probably one of the few who even remembers that. This is just another media-generated talking point that will have people exerting useless energy on a useless topic. Sports are supposed to be fun and the irony is, as soon as "blue blood" fans begin referencing their elite status, the same people admonishing the court storming will be calling those fans arrogant or "wine and cheese." Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Oh, by the way: Duke students stormed the court in 2005...after defeating Virginia Freaking Tech.

I am not a Duke fan, but storming after a miracle shot like that is understandable. If Ennis shot to beat Pitt was at the Dome I could see the heat of the moment people celebrating. North Carolina is the best program of all-time IMO or 2nd at worst behind UCLA. I couldn't believe a team that is 26th in the AP Poll and had beaten Michigan State, Louisville, Kentucky earlier this season stormed the floor after beating Duke. I honestly though UNC was favored in that game because Duke was playing its 3rd game in 6 days and Carolina fans were jacked up for this game. I just couldn't believe UNC fans stormed the court all this taught me is that when I yell at our fanbase we shouldn't storm the floor because we expect to win I am wrong.

I am not a Duke fan, but storming after a miracle shot like that is understandable. If Ennis shot to beat Pitt was at the Dome I could see the heat of the moment people celebrating. North Carolina is the best program of all-time IMO or 2nd at worst behind UCLA. I couldn't believe a team that is 26th in the AP Poll and had beaten Michigan State, Louisville, Kentucky earlier this season stormed the floor after beating Duke. I honestly though UNC was favored in that game because Duke was playing its 3rd game in 6 days and Carolina fans were jacked up for this game. I just couldn't believe UNC fans stormed the court all this taught me is that when I yell at our fanbase we shouldn't storm the floor because we expect to win I am wrong.

Yes, Duke hit a miracle shot, but that seems to support my point because everyone knows, or should know, the unique context of last night’s game. UNC has dealt with losing its best player, media coverage of the academic scandal, and having the game canceled a few hours before tip-off when it was assumed students would dominate the crowd. UNC, despite not being a prohibitive underdog, is not considered a legit title contender this year. Duke is considered a legit title contender. They’ve lost 6 games but any team with Parker and an entire line-up that hits over 40% of its threes is a legit threat to win it all in tournament format. You mention UNC's big wins but are you willing to put them in the legit title contender category? They have one consistent three-point shooter who plays 38 mpg and runs point. Stats don't tell the entire story.

So there’s the unique context for last night’s game.

Well, no one ever accused the Cameron Crazies of being smart. ;). Maybe they thought it was football? :noidea:

Yes, Duke hit a miracle shot, but that seems to support my point because everyone knows, or should know, the unique context of last night’s game. UNC has dealt with losing its best player, media coverage of the academic scandal, and having the game canceled a few hours before tip-off when it was assumed students would dominate the crowd. UNC, despite not being a prohibitive underdog, is not considered a legit title contender this year. Duke is considered a legit title contender. They’ve lost 6 games but any team with Parker and an entire line-up that hits over 40% of its threes is a legit threat to win it all in tournament format. You mention UNC's big wins but are you willing to put them in the legit title contender category? They have one consistent three-point shooter who plays 38 mpg and runs point. Stats don't tell the entire story.

Sure there is unique context, but I don't think any of that went through the minds of the kids that stormed the court. At first they looked apprehensive to even venture out there. A handful did then the rest followed.

They are also one spot away from being ranked so clearly not as bad as you're making them out to be.

They are also one spot away from being ranked so clearly not as bad as you're making them out to be.

I never made them out to be "bad." I said they aren't considered a legit title contender like Duke. Duke has the parts to win it all, even if they've underachieved a bit.

Sure there is unique context, but I don't think any of that went through the minds of the kids that stormed the court. At first they looked apprehensive to even venture out there. A handful did then the rest followed.

Why would it not "run through their minds," assuming they follow the team? Do you realize how much crap we've gotten from State and Duke fans who live in the same area over PJ and the academic scandal?

UNC and SU both beat Duke at home.
UNC stormed the court
We didn't
Duke and Carolina are ARCH-rivals.
It's about geography, culture and a little about basketball.
Those are the games the REALLY count for each team.
That passion is behind the court storming.
Besides winning the National Championship...the ARCH-rival game is the only time fans should even think about storming the court.

We used to have an ARCH-rival.
Now all we have are their nets.

Outisde factors also have to be considered. Eight days prior, 20, 000 students were anticipating a once in a lifetime opportunity that didn't come to fruition. For eight days they then had to wait to even see if they could get a ticket. Of course the ones that did were pumped. This year started with many saying an NIT berth was out of reach much less a win over dook. The February 8, 2012, Austin Rivers' shot--that resulted in the dook bench storming our court, btw, and that is ok in my book--still hurts. And lastly, Wednesday, two 200+ year old buildings were vandalized with blue spray paint spelling DUKE and sporting the acronym GTHC. Eight days of adrenoline and a game where we were down eleven and not really decided till last minute of game birthed the storm. Kids are criticized for a lot of just things these days. This is not one of them. GO HEELS! Cheering for Syracuse to beat dook on Saturday!

Basically admitting you are surprised you beat Duke, your arch enemy. Insane.

I don't think it was surprise, more like joy/glee.. Lets all meet at the center of the court and "feel" each other, and there's nothing wrong with that.. :D

That one too! Though as tough as Pitt was and as dramatic as that game was, that game deserved a court storming(or three).

But Rutgers? (Small group, but they were out there)? Missouri? Even ND...they were ranked 10th I believe, but still. It's ND basketball who we almost always beat.

We've had many more questionable court stormings than an unranked UNC having a rough year beating top 5 Duke. I just named 3 worse ones in one season(our NC season!)
The Rutgers game was the final home game of what we all knew as Carmelo's last game.

I wonder if the Cameron Crazies will rush the court if they beat us on Saturday?

No, the Orange Nation is going to storm the court at Cameron when WE win. Have to think we're going to take over their arena, just like we do everywhere else. (j/k)

If I'm a UNC fan I don't think the birth of my child and a win against Duke in February are on the same level.

UNC has beaten Duke 133 times.
Or they pulled an upset and don't care about history and all that stuff because they're young. And storming the court is fun, and how many chances do you have to do that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom