Covid Party | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Covid Party

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone suspended for a semester would not earn a credit to their degree, making them NCAA ineligible- forever.

3 tests a week, all classes online, in a "bubble". Pods of players. 16 living together on a floor, 48 breathing the same air from the shared HVAC system. Working in the same weight rooms and ipfs.

Personally? I dont think its a big deal. They had 100 of them playing football against each other without masks. Breathing down each other's throats(literally), against another group of 100 doing the same - for the benefit of the fans and University's.

Rules are rules, that the University bent for sports...
Therein lies the problem...if suspended they lose their eligibility with the NCAA.

They could keep them in school but suspend them from all athletic activities.

The suspended for a semester is ridiculous. The punishment for anyone is you shouldnt be allowed on campus but can go to school virtually.

these are college kids so i have empathy but also dont be a dumb a**

About to look like this in March

1613593031187.png

I just got an email looking for volunteers to be "Procedural Advisors" for students who are being charged with attending an off-campus party.

Kind of want to say yes just to see what the process is like.
"Charged"

Therein lies the problem...if suspended they lose their eligibility with the NCAA.

They could keep them in school but suspend them from all athletic activities.
If football players get suspended from all athletic activities, they might as well shut down the program. If this team is going to have any success next year they can’t miss another off season program.

make the kids at the party volunteer there time to the university clean up project in summer and remote only the rest of the semester

Anyone suspended for a semester would not earn a credit to their degree, making them NCAA ineligible- forever.

3 tests a week, all classes online, in a "bubble". Pods of players. 16 living together on a floor, 48 breathing the same air from the shared HVAC system. Working in the same weight rooms and ipfs.

Personally? I dont think its a big deal. They had 100 of them playing football against each other without masks. Breathing down each other's throats(literally), against another group of 100 doing the same - for the benefit of the fans and University's.

Rules are rules, that the University bent for sports...

once again, I don’t disagree

Does anyone remember the name of the team that sat out 4 practices demanding more testing from a rudderless NCAA? I do. At that point, the NCAA had no procedures, other than, if you don't like it? You can opt out. (Yes, cuse was testing)

Their actions may have let the NCAA know that players weren't going to play unless they adopted a comprehensive testing procedure, to protect the players, the coaches, their Universities and communities.

Of course, there were many more unknowns then. If we knew what we know now? I don't think we would have had any opt outs. Things change.

I'm going to laugh when we find out that among the 50 people was every single offensive lineman.
At least it would give Dino even more time to hire an OL coach.

At least it would give Dino even more time to hire an OL coach.
Or it creates a bigger issue convincing a new coach to come...yeesh ...just imagine.

Dino: "Hey coach Mattox, I want you to come to Syracuse and take my Oline to a new level!".

Mattox: "Sounds interesting, what do you have that I can work with?"

Dino: "Well until yesterday I had a boatload of untapped talent. "

Mattox: "Until yesterday?"

Dino: "Yeah the whole oline went off campus, partied w/o masks and will likely be suspended making them ineligible. The good news is that we have a fullback who can play oline and some walk ons!"

Mattox: " Click"

Dino: " Coach? Coach?

If nothing else, it just creates a big disconnect between most of campus (students) and the athletes. The optics come across as favoritism, even though we understand the situations are different (athletes are tested, etc, etc).

Do sports get shut down for two weeks when that happens?

Edit: I’m pretty sure they do. So don’t worry about basketball missing the game today their season is going to be done soon anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.