Covid Party | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Covid Party

Status
Not open for further replies.
as does Syracuse.

Syracuse says if you’re found to have any parties you are immediately suspended for the entire semester.

...my son lives in a house on Comstock. He says last semester DPS would drive by slowly at night and shine spotlights into the windows of student apartments trying to count bodies. If the gathering was deemed too large, they'd come to the door and ask questions.

what a time to be a student

...my son lives in a house on Comstock. He says last semester DPS would drive by slowly at night and shine spotlights into the windows of student apartments trying to count bodies. If the gathering was deemed too large, they'd come to the door and ask questions.

what if you go all home alone with cardboard cutouts?

Yeah, 100 cases at Syracuse (22k+ enrollment) and 100 cases at say Iona (3k) are like oranges and walruses.

walrus GIF

Dealt with nosy townie neighbors who liked to try to call the cops and put the kibosh on parties when in college. Solution was to move the festivities to the basement, and cover the basement windows with beer boxes so they don’t know the lights are on down there.

I found this about violations of COVID protocol for the 2021 Spring semester. It looks like those who attended will get a sanction of disciplinary probation and a campus ban (worse if it is not a first offense). Whoever hosted it will receive a "higher" sanction.
Interestingly, the sanctions were harsher for the Fall semester when the sanction for hosting a gathering was Suspension or Expulsion. So, just maybe, we won't lose anyone.

SUs number will now be about 700 which is stupid because you can’t control 700 cases with the possible spread on a school campus. SU will never hit that number so it doesn’t really matter. The 100 made more sense. It’s not about how many students there are but the number of cases. 100 is 100 on a school campus and has the same potential to spread to others whether the others are 3000 or 14000.

What if they don't answer the door?

SUs number will now be about 700 which is stupid because you can’t control 700 cases with the possible spread on a school campus. SU will never hit that number so it doesn’t really matter. The 100 made more sense. It’s not about how many students there are but the number of cases. 100 is 100 on a school campus and has the same potential to spread to others whether the others are 3000 or 14000.
Your saying Ohio St. with 45 k should be the same as WF with 3,000. I agree it shouldn’t be one flat % but I also think their shoul d be some sort of sliding scale.

Your saying Ohio St. with 45 k should be the same as WF with 3,000. I agree it shouldn’t be one flat % but I also think their shoul d be some sort of sliding scale.

yes. 100 is 100. Both schools would have to manage those 100 positive students and to minimize spread to anyone.

I’m pretty sure the county executive said the sports related party resulted in ZERO cases, but the frat related parties were responsible for many cases.

because the athletes are constantly tested so the likelihood any would be positive is far less.

I’m pretty sure the county executive said the sports related party resulted in ZERO cases, but the frat related parties were responsible for many cases.
How can they even know this though?

I'm so over COVID. This is getting ridiculous. Finally someone put logic and math to the data...

Let's start getting back to normal and stop allowing ourselves to be held prisoner. Did the COVID guidelines protect our 76 yr old coach? His son? Our President? In a perfect world, it could only be slowed and not contained. The testing is and was always faulty. Candidly, I'd rather die than live another 6 months the way that we've all been forced to live the last 12. People need to realize that we've been the equivalent of "free" prisoners for almost a year of our damn lives. I lost the most influential female in my life 40 days ago to leukemia and she was lost shortly after diagnosis. I was not able to go to the hospital in Albany to say goodbye to the person who sacrificed for me to earn the education that landed me where I am today. I couldn't say goodbye to the person who taught me unconditional love, because of some asshat's rules not to allow people into the hospital to visit those that are sick. People are literally dying alone for fear of an infection spreading that kills less than the god damn flu.

Don't suspend the players or students. Make them wear the contract tracing stuff and move on.

Last edited:
I'm so over COVID. This is getting ridiculous. Finally someone put logic and math to the data...

Let's start getting back to normal and stop allowing ourselves to be held prisoner. Did the COVID guidelines protect our 76 yr old coach? His son? Our President? In a perfect world, it could only be slowed and not contained. The testing is and was always faulty. Candidly, I'd rather die than live another 6 months the way that we've all been forced to live the last 12. People need to realize that we've been the equivalent of "free" prisoners for almost a year of our damn lives. I lost the most influential female in my life 40 days ago to leukemia and she was lost shortly after diagnosis. I was not able to go to the hospital in Albany to say goodbye to the person who sacrificed for me to earn the education that landed me where I am today. I couldn't say goodbye to the person who taught me unconditional love, because of some asshat's rules not to allow people into the hospital to visit those that are sick. People are literally dying alone for fear of an infection spreading that kills less than the god damn flu.

Don't suspend the players or students. Make them wear the contract tracing stuff and move on.
i agree with a lot of this, but i think april is a bit early im thinking by summer as i think the 6.5 times reported cases is too high to assume for asymptomatic covids

also dont include the former president as he got his at rallys where masks werent required

i agree with a lot of this, but i think april is a bit early im thinking by summer as i think the 6.5 times reported cases is too high to assume for asymptomatic covids
I don't disagree with this, but the precipitous drop over the last 6 weeks is very telling. I'm in finance, so I understand that the assumptions are obviously only as good as the people making them. However, notice there have not been any headwinds to his analysis publicly...

Also, the comment on the former president wasn't a political statement. But you and I both know that he was the most "protected" individual on the planet at the time he was diagnosed. Rally's or not, the point still holds... Nobody is safe, regardless of any number of protocols. It was systematically slowed, but there never was any real data to determine the number of positive tests that were asymptomatic. The precipitous drop indicates that the number of people that showed no symptoms that likely contracted COVID was significant.

Simply not true.

The campuses are constructed with those numbers in mind.

Resources at Syracuse to handle the mitigation of the 700 cases is far greater and more doable than at Iona.

It makes perfect sense to me. A lot more sense than 100 being 100 no matter what.

also dont include the former president as he got his at rallys where masks werent required
Also the story/research cited (the op Ed) is highly flawed. it was done by a surgeon who’s responsible for previously flawed research. Well known experts refuted the analysis. People just need to take the vaccine and then we can safely move on. The hard work is almost done. I get the fatigue but we’re almost there.

I don't disagree with this, but the precipitous drop over the last 6 weeks is very telling. I'm in finance, so I understand that the assumptions are obviously only as good as the people making them. However, notice there have not been any headwinds to his analysis publicly...

Also, the comment on the former president wasn't a political statement. But you and I both know that he was the most "protected" individual on the planet at the time he was diagnosed. Rally's or not, the point still holds... Nobody is safe, regardless of any number of protocols. It was systematically slowed, but there never was any real data to determine the number of positive tests that were asymptomatic. The precipitous drop indicates that the number of people that showed no symptoms that likely contracted COVID was significant.
im guessing most of the asymptomatic or non confirmed cases were back in january thru mid may before testing really got readily available after that the asymptomatic was probably much less closer to actual testing positive rate

Also the story/research cited (the op Ed) is highly flawed. it was done by a surgeon who’s responsible for previously flawed research. Well known experts refuted the analysis. People just need to take the vaccine and then we can safely move on. The hard work is almost done. I get the fatigue but we’re almost there.
its a good thing a bunch of asymptomatic already had it because no way 80 % of people will take the vaccine anytime soon

Status
Not open for further replies.