Covid Party | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Covid Party

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't look good...they'll have to hand out discipline, the question is what. I do agree that a full blown suspension seems like the worst outcome -- for both the school and kid.

No matter who you are—a member of the Greek community, a student-athlete or anyone else—if you break the rules, discipline will follow.

A suspension for a student, means better luck next semester. For an athlete, it means they lose eligibility. Not equal punishments.

Hypothetical. What to do if it was Devito, Schrader, Black, McKinleys place?

Doesn't look good...they'll have to hand out discipline, the question is what. I do agree that a full blown suspension seems like the worst outcome -- for both the school and kid.

No matter who you are—a member of the Greek community, a student-athlete or anyone else—if you break the rules, discipline will follow.

A sternly worded letter in the kid's permanent file should do the trick.

A suspension for a student, means better luck next semester. For an athlete, it means they lose eligibility. Not equal punishments.

Hypothetical. What to do if it was Devito, Schrader, Black, McKinleys place?

They wouldn't lose a season of eligibility. Just the spring.

Therein lies the problem...if suspended they lose their eligibility with the NCAA.

They could keep them in school but suspend them from all athletic activities.
CL knows

If they have a semester where they don't earn a credit towards their degree, they lose eligibility. Nothing could bring Shy back from that one.

Would highly doubt they would suspend them from academics due to the nature of how classes are being held right now. My guess is they will be suspended from spring football practices/workouts in an effort to save face with the rest of the university community. Don't agree with it but at the same time, the University has been reminding students constantly off the potential infractions.

Would highly doubt they would suspend them from academics due to the nature of how classes are being held right now. My guess is they will be suspended from spring football practices/workouts in an effort to save face with the rest of the university community. Don't agree with it but at the same time, the University has been reminding students constantly off the potential infractions.
For those that host, SU has suspension/expulsion listed. Academic, I presume. Academic is the problem.

If a few suspended from the facility for x weeks? OK. If its 30 players suspended for spring? Ouch. Long term, that could cost the University income, cost coaches jobs, etc.. Either way, athlete consequences carry more weight than student consequences. Not to minimize students, or to say they should get special treatment.

The Unversity will have to discipline the 50...40... 30 ...15 whatever the # athletes. Full suspension simply is not feasible. They will find alternative disciplinary action. It’s common sense.

I just want to get this straight. They can bus and fly the entire team all over the country to play a sport that brings in millions of dollars for the university while putting themselves and the campus at risk but these kids have a party and all of a sudden they are the spawn of satan. If the university gave a crap about the student athletes they would have canceled last season. Give me a break with this nonsense, these are kids, tell them don’t do it again and move on and go back to counting your acc money they busted their butts to get for you.

I just want to get this straight. They can bus and fly the entire team all over the country to play a sport that brings in millions of dollars for the university while putting themselves and the campus at risk but these kids have a party and all of a sudden they are the spawn of satan. If the university gave a crap about the student athletes they would have canceled last season. Give me a break with this nonsense, these are kids, tell them don’t do it again and move on and go back to counting your acc money they busted their butts to get for you.
Wait a minute. Hold on...are you saying their is hypocrisy here? In college athletics and academics? No way.

Wait a minute. Hold on...are you saying their is hypocrisy here? In college athletics and academics? No way.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the school's argument would be that the planes and buses are controlled environments and they 100% knew everyone on board had recently tested negative for COVID and were able to contact trace if someone did have COVID, you can't do that with a party that happens off campus in a non-controlled environment.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the school's argument would be that the planes and buses are controlled environments and they 100% knew everyone on board had recently tested negative for COVID and were able to contact trace if someone did have COVID, you can't do that with a party that happens off campus in a non-controlled environment.

Exactly the reason.

I think the hypocrisy will be in how the punishments are handed out.

From a letter to the Orange community from Chancellor Kent Syverud:
"To our students who continue to host and attend large parties and ignore public health guidelines, I don’t know what more anyone can tell you. Your actions put your health and the health of others at risk. Your actions put the semester for the entire campus at risk. Your actions put the Central New York community at risk. And your actions put your status here on campus at risk. No matter who you are—a member of the Greek community, a student-athlete or anyone else—if you break the rules, discipline will follow."

From a letter to the Orange community from Chancellor Kent Syverud:
"To our students who continue to host and attend large parties and ignore public health guidelines, I don’t know what more anyone can tell you. Your actions put your health and the health of others at risk. Your actions put the semester for the entire campus at risk. Your actions put the Central New York community at risk. And your actions put your status here on campus at risk. No matter who you are—a member of the Greek community, a student-athlete or anyone else—if you break the rules, discipline will follow."

As it should be.

Those might be but what about the other teams, refs, reporters, Stadium workers. They also are getting rapid tests which aren’t 100% accurate. Also Students are tested every 7 days now.

As it should be.
Yeah let’s see them toss 1/2 the football team that just competed for a full season or the basketball team. Let’s see what happens after another 1 win season. Putting the community at risk is rich. Why didn’t they shut down the university for a year if this is such a huge thing.

Yeah let’s see them toss 1/2 the football team that just competed for a full season or the basketball team. Let’s see what happens after another 1 win season. Putting the community at risk is rich. Why didn’t they shut down the university for a year if this is such a huge thing.

It's always just about football isn't it. The only thing that matters right?

Many schools are testing the entire student body weekly - and they have a very strict no party policy.

With that said, the optics on athletes being able to get away with a party is not good.

Syracuse is testing weekly. If you don't test, they remove your access to myslice and blackboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.