Covid Party | Syracusefan.com

Covid Party

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryOtto

All Conference
New article that 50 athletes were at a party without masks. Speculation on the BB Board said it may have involved members of the football team. Anyone have any information. That would suck because it could cost them spring ball or another form of discipline.

50 players seems like a lot, so either a men and womens mixer or football team or both... Guessing thread will be locked or deleted soon though

it was the football team from what I’ve seen from Instagram videos etc.

The student body is pretty angry that it appears no punishments are being handed out.

The student body is pretty angry that it appears no punishments are being handed out.
How many players were involved

The student body had their own issues, and the FB guys stayed clean 1st semester. If it was all athletes and they are all tested, not sure it’s z big deal. Not sure what others received as punishment.

So it was a gathering of folks who have been largely quarantined in pods together, get tested frequently, presumably have been tested before and since returning to campus, and have already been in contact in the weight room, film room, ipf, etc?

It wasn't all football players. There were athletes from different sports teams.

And these kids are tested 3 times/week for covid. I don't think the general student body is tested that often.

The student body had their own issues, and the FB guys stayed clean 1st semester. If it was all athletes and they are all tested, not sure it’s z big deal. Not sure what others received as punishment.

There were frats and sororities that were suspended for having less of parties than this one.

this was at least 50 student athletes plus all of the others that attended.

This party was advertised to the student body and they were told to be at the party by 12:30 and then the doors would be locked and no one else allowed in.

I really don’t care that they were partying to be honest. But I think it’s a little unfair to punish some of the student body for having a party but not the football team.

these kids can’t even go to a dorm that’s not their own without the punishment.

Many schools are testing the entire student body weekly - and they have a very strict no party policy.

With that said, the optics on athletes being able to get away with a party is not good.

as does Syracuse.

Syracuse says if you’re found to have any parties you are immediately suspended for the entire semester.

The loophole here will be it was an off campus party.

however, in the student body pledge they signed it stated that they would wear masks off campus at all times. in the video, there is literally not a single person in the house with a mask on. And they are packed in like sardines.

at the end of the day off football players are still students at the university and should be held to the same standards.

my argument is, if you aren’t going to punish them, that’s fine, but don’t punish the rest of the student body if they also do similar activities

If there are repercussions this is the last thing Dino needs going into a must win season with this entire regime on the line. Not good.

this might end up like the lacrosse situation again...

the Syracuse city police showed up but continued to let them party, or at least that’s what I originally heard...

so if it was 50 kids who knows how many kids and from what sports.. did the kids in the frats get suspended from school or did the frat get suspended cause thats a different thing?

I know ours the frats got shut down for a period or put on probation but the kids didnt get suspended from school.

so you suspend the team who took part for the rest of the semester.. they lose spring practice? it doesnt count for anyone anyway. but it would send a message. and Dino didnt want a spring game so that helps with that message

There are ways to administer punishment to a large group without an “armageddon” scenario taking place unless the penalty is expulsion but I thought it was suspension or something.

so you suspend the team who took part for the rest of the semester.. they lose spring practice? it doesnt count for anyone anyway. but it would send a message. and Dino didnt want a spring game so that helps with that message

I think we need all the practice we can get.

Except for the OL. They need to be put in bubble wrap until August.

The loophole here will be it was an off campus party.

however, in the student body pledge they signed it stated that they would wear masks off campus at all times. in the video, there is literally not a single person in the house with a mask on. And they are packed in like sardines.

at the end of the day off football players are still students at the university and should be held to the same standards.

my argument is, if you aren’t going to punish them, that’s fine, but don’t punish the rest of the student body if they also do similar activities
Anyone suspended for a semester would not earn a credit to their degree, making them NCAA ineligible- forever.

3 tests a week, all classes online, in a "bubble". Pods of players. 16 living together on a floor, 48 breathing the same air from the shared HVAC system. Working in the same weight rooms and ipfs.

Personally? I dont think its a big deal. They had 100 of them playing football against each other without masks. Breathing down each other's throats(literally), against another group of 100 doing the same - for the benefit of the fans and University's.

Rules are rules, that the University bent for sports...

Status
Not open for further replies.