Curtis Dukes & SU? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Curtis Dukes & SU?

Just a thought, but how seriously would anyone want to transfer in based on the
line from the Dave Rahme article at syracuse.com/orangefootball, where it says:

"... Marrone believes he will need four backs ready to play this season due to the
pounding the position takes."

Is someone going to transfer in to be a part of a four RB rotation? Is a recruit - a
top, top flight guy - going to want to hear that as part of the pitch? It's conceivable
they already have 6-7 guys (Smith, AAM, PTG, Rene, Morris, McFarlane) who
could be a focus back. I'm of the opinion that you find THE guy, use him 75-80%
of the time, and maybe find an exact opposite change of pace guy for a few carries
a game, not run four guys in and out. That guarantees you'll never sign a Ray Rice,
aMarcus Lattimore, an Alvin Kamara, etc. The rotation of Carter-Bailey worked
because they were totally different guys; last year's original thought of
Bailey-PTG-Rene would've gained nothing, because they're the same player.

Kev

"... Marrone believes he will need four backs ready to play this season due to the

Is someone going to transfer in to be a part of a four RB rotation? Is a recruit - a
top, top flight guy - going to want to hear that as part of the pitch? It's conceivable
they already have 6-7 guys (Smith, AAM, PTG, Rene, Morris, McFarlane) who
could be a focus back. I'm of the opinion that you find THE guy, use him 75-80%
of the time, and maybe find an exact opposite change of pace guy for a few carries
a game, not run four guys in and out. That guarantees you'll never sign a Ray Rice,
aMarcus Lattimore, an Alvin Kamara, etc. The rotation of Carter-Bailey worked
because they were totally different guys; last year's original thought of
Bailey-PTG-Rene would've gained nothing, because they're the same player.

Kev

You like to have a "big back" and a "small back".

When your big back gets banged up (and you know he will), you'll need a 2nd big back.

When your small back gets banged up, you'll need a 2nd small back.

That's why you need at least 4 RB's to get through a season.

Guys with legit NFL talent will be noticed and make the league. Better not to be too banged up by then, so you can have a longer career.

Figure you have 35-40 times a game the RB will get the ball between rushes and receptions. 4 back rotation could look like 20, 10, 5, & 5 touches per RB but you also need guys to block or run routes on passing plays so there's another 30-35 snaps a game as well unless we go empty backfield.

I imagine some of those RB's will get PT that doesn't show up on the stat sheet and the amount of touches per RB will flucuate between who's the hot hand, who's healthy, and who progresses most as the season wears on.

Marrone has seen RBs go down with injury on the field, injury off the field, get suspended for punching someone in the face, etc - of course he'd want capable backups for both of the RBs he uses in his system. We saw what he'd like the rotation to be Delone's senior year, which certainly featured Delone enough as a top flight talent and yet still got lots of touches for Bailey as the change of pace back/receiving back.

What coach wouldn't want guys ready to play backing up the starters?

In my reading, I mistook "4 RBs ready to play" as "4 RBs to rotate".

Just the same, if they happen to determine that Morris, McFarlane, or Ameen-Moore is
capable of rushing for 1200 yards, I want them in the game all the time, without
a change of pace back. I'm not high on the others, especially after Rene gained all of
22 yards returning punts last year.

Kev

Guys with legit NFL talent will be noticed and make the league. Better not to be too banged up by then, so you can have a longer career.
Penn State has traditionally been a running team, with their featured RB getting a ton of carries. But if you look at some of the most successful RBs to come out of Happy Valley, it reads like a list of the most notorious NFL busts: Booker Moore, D.J. Dozier, Blair Thomas, KI-Jana Carter, Larry Johnson and Curtis Enis. I forgot which coach said this, and I may be paraphrasing, but the comment was that a RB only has so many carries in their legs during their career.

I forgot which coach said this, and I may be paraphrasing, but the comment was that a RB only has so many carries in their legs during their career.

Which makes sense watching how NFL teams rotate RB's now.

In my reading, I mistook "4 RBs ready to play" as "4 RBs to rotate".

Just the same, if they happen to determine that Morris, McFarlane, or Ameen-Moore is
capable of rushing for 1200 yards, I want them in the game all the time, without
a change of pace back. I'm not high on the others, especially after Rene gained all of
22 yards returning punts last year.

Kev

If any RB seperates themselves in camp and stays healthly then that kid will get the bulk of the carries. It's as simple as that.

The problem is there is no returning production and a couple of them have injury histories. Right now, you need 4 backs ready to play.

If any RB seperates themselves in camp and stays healthly then that kid will get the bulk of the carries. It's as simple as that.

The problem is there is no returning production and a couple of them have injury histories. Right now, you need 4 backs ready to play.

Good post.

Penn State has traditionally been a running team, with their featured RB getting a ton of carries. But if you look at some of the most successful RBs to come out of Happy Valley, it reads like a list of the most notorious NFL busts: Booker Moore, D.J. Dozier, Blair Thomas, KI-Jana Carter, Larry Johnson and Curtis Enis. I forgot which coach said this, and I may be paraphrasing, but the comment was that a RB only has so many carries in their legs during their career.

Hard to call Larry Johnson a bust, IMO.

Ha. You know my kid, he's been going to games since he was 3 and only misses them when it conflicts with his sports schedule. We will both be at the game, it's only a matter of how much or little of the tailgate and orientation do we/he attend.
Wasnt Ennis hurt a lot?

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Don't forget that Broyld will see a lot of action at RB.

Smith, PTG, Moore, Broyld

If he uses a 4 back rotation, those are the backs.

Don't be. Smith is going to be our next 1,000 yard back. Kid's ready to go.
Can't have too many good backs in your stable; he would be a great addition. I also hope Smith has a breakout season.

I agree with the born man on Smith thought he looked very good in the spring game my concern with him is that he is going to take a pounding. If he hasnt changes his running style i doubt he last the year. My dark horse is AAM i know i harp on him but he was so good in HS great feet and vision. I hope that he is back. If not i actually hope that the staff redshirts him this year as they should have done last and plays one of the frosh Morris if he makes the grade.

wasn't johnson the clown who got into trouble for using gay slurs a few seasons back...the sandusky ripple effect

Not sure but he likes to beat up women. Slapped a woman and threatened her with a gun in 2004 and grabbed and shoved his then girlfriend to the ground in 2005. Also heard some stories from alums on campus when he was and he just wasn't a good dude but he and the rest of the players ran around with immunity.

He was, however, a top tier fantasy football Rb for few season.

Not sure but he likes to beat up women. Slapped a woman and threatened her with a gun in 2004 and grabbed and shoved his then girlfriend to the ground in 2005. Also heard some stories from alums on campus when he was and he just wasn't a good dude but he and the rest of the players ran around with immunity.

He was, however, a top tier fantasy football Rb for few season.

He's a complete clown. All of the above is true.

I've always wondered how he became such an arrogant a$$hole with his upbringing. His father is loyal, beloved by the kids who play for him, and quiet.

I've always wondered how he became such an arrogant a$$hole with his upbringing. His father is loyal, beloved by the kids who play for him, and quiet.

I remember when he was in pampers. Seriously.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

How bout the pouring drinks over coeds and such?

I also heard Posluszny got in fights ALL the time. Would punch people out and get ushered back to his room by campus security and charges never filed. Same exact type of thing that our starting RB got suspended and charged for.

They always gushed about PSU's disciplined teams, but apparently that must have been swept under the rug just like Sandusky.

Guy that sits next to me at work is a PSU Alum. I'll see if I can get some more stories and report back. Players were treated with impunity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom