Cuse Announces $150M Fundraising Initiative to Create Unsurpassed Student-Athlete Experience: | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Cuse Announces $150M Fundraising Initiative to Create Unsurpassed Student-Athlete Experience:

If I give $26M, will they name it after me instead?

Will they take a personal check? Might have to wait until the end of the week to cash it.
Chip Center? Sounds like my house after i go shopping without my wife with me.

So if we won on Saturday (or for that matter the hoop team) they don't make this announcement?
It has nothing to do with hoops. It has been in the works for over two years. While announce it today when the lynch mob is calling for their head coach they can’t buy out.

What do you think the percentage breakdown is between small donations ($250 and under) vs. huge donations to get to $150M?
Are there more than a handful of Syracuse boosters who can donate $500k and above?

You hear stories about Alabama and Texas alumni who love throwing money around for football. This is obviously not the same situation. Just curious if big donations will be critical for this.

Also, private businesses are going to get in on this too, right?

Hopefully this is a general war chest and not earmarked for anything. Also I hope it heavily leans towards football but I know basketball is just as, if not more popular.

Doubtful. You don't get people donating millions for a discretionary fund. Major donors want a legacy. A building named after them or a scholarship endowment. Something concrete.

I’m not buying it and neither is the majority of the fan base. I’m sorry.

The majority of the fan base has never run a D-1 athletic department and has no concept of how hard it is to put together todays announcement.

I don’t blame people for being skeptical, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t wrong.

Last edited:
The majority of the fan base has never run a D-1 athletic department and has no concept of how hard it is to put together todays announcement.

I don’t blame people from being skeptical, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t wrong.

Yep a massive capital project like this has very little to do with the outcome of a game or two. You make the public announcement when you're ready to do so. Not as a pr blitz to overshadow a bad sports weekend. That's just silly.

Oh yeah I remember when it was built. I’m talking in relative terms, and 12 years is a lifetime in student housing, especially with the recent explosion of amenity-laden developments, both in Syracuse and across the country. They are certainly “adequate” but when you look at the housing options for other high major athletes, it pales in comparison, to put it mildly.
They are imho a major update over the south campus digs the athletes used to be housed in. Those truly were old.

We aren’t ever going to have the best housing for athletes at Syracuse. I think moving to housing like this nicely addressed out housing issues.

Glad we are focusing on other issues now. But that is just one man’s opinion.

If you're implying that I'm sneaking over to your house when you go out shopping, I categorically deny it.
Haha no I'm implying that when I go shopping without my wife and end up with a cart full of chips. A wonderful assortment. Corn, potato, chocolate.

Still waiting for weitsman to donate some cash to the program (maybe I missed something?). Flying tom Brady in is nice and all, but not exactly helping to get the program on track.
The kicker is he pays for every single one one of those celebrities to come sit with him and act like his friend.

He goes through an official company who is the official company that connects brady with fans for these type of things (yes I couldn't believe it at first also), they have a lot of clients.

If he spent all the money he has on this and donated it to the athletic department he might be worth something to the school, otherwise he should carry on being a grown man in pursuit of insta fame.

It appears they have raised nearly all $150 million if they are breaking ground next spring. They don’t start projects unless they have nearly all the money. I originally heard $100 million, but they passed that total last year.
They definitely have not raised almost all the money. These projects have phases and they will start each when the money needed for that phase has been raised.

It is unfortunately going to take a while to raise $150 million.

They are imho a major update over the south campus digs the athletes used to be housed in. Those truly were old.

We aren’t ever going to have the best housing for athletes at Syracuse. I think moving to housing like this nicely addressed out housing issues.

Glad we are focusing on other issues now. But that is just one man’s opinion.

Definitely a huge upgrade. But my crappy first apartment in Liverpool would have been an upgrade from those too. Doesn’t mean they are anything special.

They definitely have not raised almost all the money. These projects have phases and they will start each when the money needed for that phase has been raised.

It is unfortunately going to take a while to raise $150 million.
I think they are doing well. Over 50%

Confusing teaser. This project is not replacing Manley, right? It's just adding to it and renovating it.

Yea I think it’s some major renovation and some additional new.