Cuse Announces $150M Fundraising Initiative to Create Unsurpassed Student-Athlete Experience: | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Cuse Announces $150M Fundraising Initiative to Create Unsurpassed Student-Athlete Experience:

I guess I just missed out on that at Oswego. We had Old City and Cheap Seats.
Bucklands...was the place!

I was there when 18 was the legal age. It was more a Freshman/Sophomore hangout but it was fun.

The kicker is he pays for every single one one of those celebrities to come sit with him and act like his friend.

He goes through an official company who is the official company that connects brady with fans for these type of things (yes I couldn't believe it at first also), they have a lot of clients.

If he spent all the money he has on this and donated it to the athletic department he might be worth something to the school, otherwise he should carry on being a grown man in pursuit of insta fame.
Yup, as far as I am concerned, he’s not worth looking at as a “booster.”

The article mentions that the envisioned complex will include an “athletics village.” That might imply the construction of new dorms for the athletes although that is open to interpretation.
Does not include residences.

Lol and y’all thought we couldn’t afford the Dino buyout

Syracuse with this announcement is trying to stay relevant.

We lose to Pitt and you can figure Dino will be canned.

Syracuse wants football money
Sorry, bud, but you couldn’t be more off base here. This money was earmarked specifically for this project. And the chances of a Dino buyout this year is virtually nil. Goal for this year as stated by the AD was to be competitive again. As disappointing as some of the individual results have been it’s hard to argue that overall the goal has not been met.

Sorry, bud, but you couldn’t be more off base here. This money was earmarked specifically for this project. And the chances of a Dino buyout this year is virtually nil. Goal for this year as stated by the AD was to be competitive again. As disappointing as some of the individual results have been it’s hard to argue that overall the goal has not been met.

I certainly hope so!

I want nothing more than Dino to be successful.

How can you donate?
Contact the Cuse Athletics Fund at 315-443-1419 or email Michael Paulus or Brandon Hodgins. Contact info is in the directory. An informative email should be out to donors and season ticket holders shortly and will be posted here I am sure.

What do you think the percentage breakdown is between small donations ($250 and under) vs. huge donations to get to $150M?
Are there more than a handful of Syracuse boosters who can donate $500k and above?

You hear stories about Alabama and Texas alumni who love throwing money around for football. This is obviously not the same situation. Just curious if big donations will be critical for this.

Also, private businesses are going to get in on this too, right?

Football sucking for 20 years hasn't helped but the stock and real estate market run should shake out some new prospects. If the tax rules change as expected for 2022 that will help too.

I think they get there but it won't be easy. They absolutely need about 10-20 different multi million dollar gifts. Joe 6-Pack and young donor giving isn't going to get them there but still is important for fan engagement and maybe a long term play.

Does not include residences.
Mostly OT, but somewhat related...

Does SU have any plans to replace the Soviet style south campus apartments? I'm sure that would be another huge capital project but was curious if they're going to make any changes there.

(Not sure if you know this as it's not directly SUAD related)

Does SU have any plans to replace the Soviet style south campus apartments? I'm sure that would be another huge capital project but was curious if they're going to make any changes there.

I could be wrong, but I believe the University’s eventual long term goal is to have no student housing on South Campus and have everyone on campus proper. Not sure the timeline of that, but I’m pretty sure I heard that related to their long term strategic plan.

I reached out to Mike Paulus and asked him to consider a campaign focused on small donors and suggested he enlist the support of administrators of this website as part of his marketing effort.

I realize hitting up former NFL players and business owners is the #1 objective but a large number of small donations can go a long ways to meeting their goal of $150 million.

I could be wrong, but I believe the University’s eventual long term goal is to have no student housing on South Campus and have everyone on campus proper. Not sure the timeline of that, but I’m pretty sure I heard that related to their long term strategic plan.

It was included in their last "30 year plan".

Build dorms on all the parking lots west of the Dome and move all the students closer to campus. Turn South Campus into a giant parking lot.

Of course, 30 year plans change every 5 years.

Bucklands...was the place!

I was there when 18 was the legal age. It was more a Freshman/Sophomore hangout but it was fun.
Greek Social Hour on Friday afternoons were always interesting. Watch a bunch of drunk clowns who can't fight...attempt fighting. Priceless.

The athletes were moved out of those in 2019. (I posted the link).

Putting the Athletes on Main Campus would be a BAD idea. Is there a 5AM bus to Manley? Do they have to walk 2 miles now? Keep em next to Manley. The quicker they can get to their dorm, the better. Every minute is precious. Especially if it means they can now take a 30 minute nap, to add to their 5 hours of sleep. Adding 30 minutes of travel time? BAD BAD BAD.

Putting the Athletes on Main Campus would be a BAD idea. Is there a 5AM bus to Manley? Do they have to walk 2 miles now? Keep em next to Manley. The quicker they can get to their dorm, the better. Every minute is precious. Especially if it means they can now take a 30 minute nap, to add to their 5 hours of sleep. Adding 30 minutes of travel time? BAD BAD BAD.
Apologies if I missed info in a posted link.

I agree that athletes on main campus would be suboptimal.

I was wondering if the administration had a plan to significantly change south campus in general - not specific to SU Athletics.

(Probably not meant for this thread anyway as it doesn’t involve speculation on paying a buyout)

I was wondering if the administration had a plan to significantly change south campus in general - not specific to SU Athletics.

(Probably not meant for this thread anyway as it doesn’t involve speculation on paying a buyout)
Not directed at anyone, in particular.

The common theme of folks blaming our housing for recruiting woes has been mostly inaccurate since after 2018. They're better than what I've seen of Michigan's, BC, etc... Things can always be improved , but they're fine.

It's not the housing. Its the winning.

Contact the Cuse Athletics Fund at 315-443-1419 or email Michael Paulus or Brandon Hodgins. Contact info is in the directory. An informative email should be out to donors and season ticket holders shortly and will be posted here I am sure.

Lol what a small world, I played college football with Brandon Hodgins in Buffalo.

Last edited:

Olindo Mare lived in Day Hall when I was there. No idea why but I always found that to be interesting that the kicker wanted to be on Mt Olympus

University Village isn’t exactly “next to” the Melo Center. In fact, it’s a 3/4 mile walk. Shaw Hall to the Melo Center is a 1 mile walk. I bet most guys do not walk, especially in the winter.

I reached out to Mike Paulus and asked him to consider a campaign focused on small donors and suggested he enlist the support of administrators of this website as part of his marketing effort.

I realize hitting up former NFL players and business owners is the #1 objective but a large number of small donations can go a long ways to meeting their goal of $150 million.
I'm sure they'll do both but the big money is with the whales.

Not directed at anyone, in particular.

The common theme of folks blaming our housing for recruiting woes has been mostly inaccurate since after 2018. They're better than what I've seen of Michigan's, BC, etc... Things can always be improved , but they're fine.

It's not the housing. Its the winning.

They aren’t bad. I’m fact, they’d make for a great senior living facility. The reality though is that this is the type of stuff we’re competing with:

I just got the email.

They aren’t bad. I’m fact, they’d make for a great senior living facility. The reality though is that this is the type of stuff we’re competing with:

I think it is likely that at some point, the housing at South Campus is going to get shut down, new dorms will be built west of the existing campus (think football parking lots) and a lot of students will move there.

When that happens, I would expect SU to reserve some land, close to Lally Athletics Complex and the Melo Center for state of the art housing for athletes. It makes no sense to put them way over west of the dome. Just think the timing is not right today. We know South Campus housing is eventually going away, so why not wait for that to happen?

University Village is a great stop gap that addressed a bad situation.

Let's focus on the biggest remaining issues immediately and keep in mind the long term plans of the university.

That would be a well planned phased approach to making our athletics facilities competitive with other schools. I like what we are doing here.

University Village isn’t exactly “next to” the Melo Center. In fact, it’s a 3/4 mile walk. Shaw Hall to the Melo Center is a 1 mile walk. I bet most guys do not walk, especially in the winter.
Yepp. 3000 feet from the furthest UVA apartment to the field house. Be great to have it right next door, but its far better than being on Main Campus.