Cuse player with the highest Court IQ | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Cuse player with the highest Court IQ

Despite his limitations (mediocre athlete, mediocre shooter, personal issues) I always thought Billy Edelin was an extremely smart player.
Loved Edelin's game. He couldn't shoot...and he knew it and accepted it and was able to thrive by doing other things.

I'm still depressed at how his career went after 2003. Having him and McNamara together for four straight seasons - our NCAA Tourney success would have turned out differently from 2004-2006, no doubt.

My Top 10 Smartest Syracuse Players

1. Carmelo Anthony
2. Laz Sims
3. Tyler Ennis
4. Lawrence Moten (his timeout in 1995 notwithstanding)
5. Preston Shumpert
6. Allen Griffin
7. Wes Johnson
8. Arinze Onuaku
9. Michael Gbinije
10. Billy Edelin

Last edited:
As far as our best defender, I'd place that on Stevie Thompson. Back when we played man to man, I remember when we would place Stevie on the opposing team's best offensive weapon/threat. JB would play the box and 1 as well, with Stevie being the 1. And, I recall the vast majority of the time, Stevie winning that battle...
Stevie was not only smart on the court he was also academically one of the smartest players.

Shumpert was a really smart player who hasn’t been mentioned much in this thread. Not the highest but definitely top 10 IMO.

Loved Edelin's game. He couldn't shoot...and he knew it and accepted it and was able to thrive by doing other things.

I'm still depressed at how his career went after 2003. Having him and McNamara together for four straight seasons - our NCAA Tourney success would have turned out differently from 2004-2006, no doubt.

It had a ripple effect. I conservatively count 10 losses probably would've been wins with a normal Edelin. Our NCAA seeds would've been better, we would've avoided the West in 2004 and Vermont in Worcester in 2005. His decline was crushing to the program. From a player development standpoint, it was a little like Tyler Ennis's early departure. McNamara had to play out of position and got worn down, Devendorf and Wright had featured roles too early, etc.

1. Carmelo Anthony
2. Laz Sims
3. Tyler Ennis
5. Preston Shumpert
6. Allen Griffin
7. Wes Johnson
8. Arinze Onuaku
9. Michael Gbinije
10. Billy Edelin

Interesting...1-6 and 10 make perfect sense, but your 7-9 I would put someplace below the 50th percentile. Not trying to be negative, just funny how different people perceive these things.

1. Carmelo Anthony
2. Laz Sims
3. Tyler Ennis
5. Preston Shumpert
6. Allen Griffin
7. Wes Johnson
8. Arinze Onuaku
9. Michael Gbinije
10. Billy Edelin

I don't recall Carmelo being particularly smart, he was just more naturally talented than everyone else he was on the court with. Only thing that really stands out in my mind was that when we were down he would just take guys down into the post and either get a bucket or go to the line every possession. Whether that was smarts or just being told what to do, I don't really recall anything that would put him near #1 on this list. Even among the 1 and done guys, I think Ennis would clearly be ahead of him.

"Cuse player with the highest court IQ":
Am I missing something here? I have not seen anyone mention Jim Boeheim.

SU team photographer in 1963: "Jim, even though this is a basketball picture, let's just have you pretend like you're bowling."
JB: "This is stupid, but OK whatever you say."

boeheim_player.jpg

Interesting...1-6 and 10 make perfect sense, but your 7-9 I would put someplace below the 50th percentile. Not trying to be negative, just funny how different people perceive these things.
Why is that?

I don't recall Wes Johnson making many mistakes at all. He always played within himself, a very sure-handed player. When you see a player with that kind of natural athleticism, you often see that player forcing it - trying to do too much to the detriment of the team. Rarely if ever did Wes take a bad shot. Played excellent zone D on the baseline. Those are many of what I think of when I hear/read "high court IQ". And all of those attributes contributed greatly to what I consider to be the best Syracuse team of my lifetime.

Onuaku had the best footwork of any SU big man I've ever seen (why I nearly put Otis Hill on this list). And he was always in proper position on defense.

Gbinije was a forward playing point guard. And all he did was lead his team to the Final Four.

Reactions: cto
I don't recall Carmelo being particularly smart, he was just more naturally talented than everyone else he was on the court with. Only thing that really stands out in my mind was that when we were down he would just take guys down into the post and either get a bucket or go to the line every possession. Whether that was smarts or just being told what to do, I don't really recall anything that would put him near #1 on this list. Even among the 1 and done guys, I think Ennis would clearly be ahead of him.
Couldn't possibly disagree more. Melo was an 18 year old child playing like a 20 year veteran.

I expected to see a list of white guys. I am proud of everyone. Times are changing!

The announcers identified Craig Forth as cerebral in every game he played.

You've got some soul searching to do if you really believe that.
We have a long way to go, but I believe it is a small sign of progress.

It is not even debatable that black and white athletes have been framed differently by media and fans. I am glad that does not appear to be happening in this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom