Cuse Will Disappoint This Year? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Cuse Will Disappoint This Year?

Our greater need for BJ is at the 3 but at 6'7" and 185 lbs, how can he match up against bigger stronger players at the 3? He is young for a soph and naturally thin. I like his talent and he showed it in Estonia. Does anyone know what position he played and whether his defender was a good compaarison for what he will see this season? If MG is played at the reserve 1 and 3, BJ could have the back-up 2. In a couple of years I could see BJ at the 3.
we play zone

For the life of me...I can't see this team winning more than 20-22 games. I see us as a borderline NCAA team. I don't see any go to guys on this team.
It's the flaw for sure. Not sure at the end, we won't have one though. Think roberson.

we play zone
3,4,and 5 are down low. 1 and 2 are on top. Please explain why you think that a 6'7" 185 pounder is beefy enough to go against players that are stronger. Maybe BJ can without being exposed? At the 2 he would be a matchup nightmare for the other team.

3,4,and 5 are down low. 1 and 2 are on top. Please explain why you think that a 6'7" 185 pounder is beefy enough to go against players that are stronger. Maybe BJ can without being exposed? At the 2 he would be a matchup nightmare for the other team.
it is a zone, it is not like there PF is going to post up BJ on the wing

Short answer: You're most likely wrong.

Why? Well, mostly because of this - (from John Gasaway's SU 2013-14 Team Preview) "the program hasn't entered the NCAA tournament seeded lower than No. 4 since the (George W.) Bush administration."

In fact, I'm wondering if you even realize that the kind of season you're predicting (22 or less wins) last happened to SU 7 years ago, when the 07-08 team went 21-14. And that 07-08 team is the only SU team in the last 15 years that finished a season with less than 23 wins. So you're suggesting that the 2014-15 SU team will fail to reach 23 wins for just the second time in the past 16 seasons?

Do you realize this? Do you realize that the last 5 SU teams won an average of 29.8 games per season? So you're suggesting that the 2014-15 SU team will fail to come within 8 wins of their 5 year average?

You really see that much reason to go against multiple data points (SU's recent history of results) that all suggest that Syracuse Basketball, year in & year out, will be a top 25ish team and a top seed in the NCAA Tournament when all is said and done? What are these reasons? Major upheaval in the coaching staff? Have we already suffered major injuries to players who were planned to be integral to the season? Major suspensions?

Honestly, if you are at all aware of SU's recent history of results/success (aka, many of the statistics I lay out above) and you still truely believe that SU will win only 20-22 games this season (and, thus, deviate GREATLY from that recent history of success)...then either you are privy to some shocking information about this year's team that I just do not have...or I greatly question your ability to honestly & objectively evaluate a team's prospect for success in an upcoming season, given the information we know about that team.

Past success does not always equate to future success. Every year is different, this is the least expierenced team we have had since 07-08. That year we won 21 games, not unreasonable to expect about 22 wins; this ooc schedule is very difficult compared to past years. Who on this team has experience besides cooney and Rak? Maybe silent G but he only averaged like 13 mins a game last year. Not counting Coleman because it doesn't seem like he will play. So many unknowns. All the time we hear how someone has looked good in practice and then they can't carry it over into the games. So like texanmark, I'm expecting a low 20 win count this year. Hopefully they surprise me but I just am not seeing it.

Like last year, it is extremely unlikely that BJ will see any appreciable time at the 2 this season.

3,4,and 5 are down low. 1 and 2 are on top. Please explain why you think that a 6'7" 185 pounder is beefy enough to go against players that are stronger.

Damone Brown and Hakim Warrick say hello. Nobody contests that BJ is physically underdeveloped at this stage of his career [although he's made solid strides from last year]. But like Damone / Hakim, BJ has exceptional athleticism and length, which will enable him to man the back line. Time will tell whether he can do it effectively or whether he gets exposed.

Last edited:
This is a great time of year because we really don't know what we don't know...All will be revealed very soon...

Damone Brown and Hakim Warrick say hello. Nobody contests that BJ is physically underdeveloped at this stage of his career [although he's made solid strides from last year]. But like Damone / Hakim, BJ has exceptional athleticism and length, which will enable him to man the back line. Time will tell whether he can do it effectively or whether he gets exposed.

I just can't wait to see your practice report!

I'm going to say, Yes. Revising my 20-22 wins to no more than 18-20 wins...Rakeem has elevated to a "go to guy" but no one else is close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom