DA Declares War. | Syracusefan.com

DA Declares War.

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
http://t.co/tZaCvPso

Syracuse, NY - District Attorney William Fitzpatrick today accused Syracuse Police Chief Frank Fowler and Deputy Chief Sean Broton of criminally "leaking" a witness affidavit in the Bernie Fine case in an effort to embarrass the prosecutor's office.

"This should frighten every person in the city of Syracuse," Fitzpatrick said. He went on to accuse Fowler of implementing new procedures restricting prosecution access to all reports in the possession of police and to suggest police officials may be responsible for the vandalism of one of his investigator's cars.

"You do not have a police chief. You have a fiefdom," Fitzpatrick angrily claimed in a late morning press conference in his office.

The DA said he believes the police actions aimed at his office are designed "to deflect attention from what they did or didn't do in 2002" when former Syracuse University ball boy Bobby Davis claims he first reported to police that he had been molested by Fine, the SU associate basketball coach.

» Complete coverage of the Bernie Fine investigation

Fitzpatrick called on Mayor Stephanie Miner to get some answers about how the Fine case witness' statement was leaked to The Post-Standard for a story in today's newspaper when the mayor announced Monday that there would be no piecemeal release of information to anyone until the police investigation was completed.

Because the matter involves a grand jury investigation, Fitzpatrick said the leaking of the witness' statement is a Class E felony. While he said he did not expect the newspaper would voluntarily reveal where the statement came from, he said he has the power to issue subpoenas to get to the bottom of that as part of the Fine investigation his office is conducting.

Fitzpatrick said he has had numerous conversations with Miner about his office's problems with Fowler for a couple of years, but he has never gone so far as to call for Fowler's firing. He stopped short of that again today.

But his criticism of the chief was bitter.

"These are paybacks of a juvenile mind, somebody who really doesn't belong in law enforcement," Fitzpatrick said.

"You think I'm going to stand for this?" he asked angrily. "You think I'm going to allow this emperor to think he's going to undermine public safety?"

Fitzpatrick accused Fowler and Broton of "intentionally trying to sabotage" his office's proper investigation of the Fine matter. That includes both Davis' allegations of being molested and what police did or didn't do about those allegations when they were reported to police in 2002, he said.

"I will do that with or without Frank Fowler. He is irrelevant to me," Fitzpatrick said.

original.gif

Syracuse PD

Again this really doesnt mean anything in regards to the big picture. All of this back and forth of "you screwed up"..."no YOU screwed up" really doesnt matter unless it is proved that it happened to other people.

This really is turning comical.

Seems like Fitzpatrick lobbed the first grenade last week and now it's been tossed back.

Man is he pissed. Can't wait for the return fire. Makes the city of Syracuse look like a 3-ring circus. Certainly won't helped the city's or school's rep nationally.

What exactly is the leaked statement he's referring to?

What exactly is the leaked statement he's referring to?

Roach's statement that she had contacted the DA's office.

Basically, this gets worse every time anybody outside of the University opens their mouth.

It means a lot IMO.
As you've said before, it has turned into a pissing contest and not an investigation.

It seems to me like the SPD and DA are more concerned with one-upping the other, and then maybe investigating this case if they have time. It's only a matter of time before the both of them get called out by the national media.

So glad the DA and SPD are, ya know, doing their jobs rather than throwing each other under the bus. Glad the University is handling this well, since it doesn't seem like anyone else is.

Do you believe the DA would go after the police like this if there was nothing there?

Also if the DA hasn't gotten the records how do they know what is there or not there?

Expand why?

If this was nothing more than 2 drugged up lying brothers and a crack whore making up lies, as some here have described the situation, we wouldn't be seeing this all out war between the SPD and DA. You don't have to know a single fact or think Bernie is guilty or innocent to be able to read into the actions of these 2 law enforcement groups.

If I am interpreting this correctly it is Roach's sworn statement that has Fitzpatrick's panties in a bunch. Post Standard was interviewing Roach. Isn't it possible that Roach gave them a copy of the statement and not the SPD? She could have insisted on getting a copy as a condition of giving the statement.

It only does if others were involved. If that is what the hangup is over then fire away Fitz.

You keep saying if others are involved. I wont say whether there are or aren't others, but why do others have to be involved?

If this was nothing more than 2 drugged up lying brothers and a crack whore making up lies, as some here have described the situation, we wouldn't be seeing this all out war between the SPD and DA. You don't have to know a single fact or think Bernie is guilty or innocent to be able to read into the actions of these 2 law enforcement groups.
pre penn state i would def agree with you -- POST not so sure--