DA Declares War. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

DA Declares War.

I honestly dont know how one can even form an opinion on what this means other than it is a huge clusterf**k.
Spot on, IMO. There's clearly an ongoing feud here, and the visibility of this situation is exacerbating it.

Pretty much where I'm at. Just hoping SU was as thorough as they needed to be. If there was an SPD or DA cover up, they did it on their own.

It's hard for people to separate this from Penn State, but that's what I'm doing. If Bernie did this, then justice should prevail against him, I just hope he really did hide that secret life from JB, SU, etc.

Not at all taking the somewhat popular fatalistic view that this is the end of the program.
if boeheim didnt call victims liars i would agree- but that changed the game imo--- regardless if bernie is guilty we should be talking about BB we should be worrying bout the victims

if it is that simple then there is nothing that spd can do to undo that. so why the delay?

SPD can't undo lack of diligence, etc., that took place in 2002, but it can mitigate those failings by doing an aggressive, thorough job now. SPD can then hope that the public focus is more on the present results than its past omissions.

If that's what is going on (which is what I surmise), there's no necessary connection between SPD's stall tactic and Bernie's being guilty or innocent.

Not at all taking the somewhat popular fatalistic view that this is the end of the program.
Yeah I don't get it either. If Bernie did this without anyone else being aware, then he gets fired and we move on. Nobody else is culpable unless they knew and took no action.
Baylor covered up a murder and they're in the top 25 and better than they've ever been- and that's Baylor.

if it is that simple then there is nothing that spd can do to undo that. so why the delay?
Same reason Sandusky repeated the question and mumbled an answer when Costas asked him that question. Stalling. They know they blew the record keeping then and are scrambling now.

If Fitz didn't know anything prior to Thursday than there is no way he is up to speed enough now to know who is guilty if who is not.

I am banking on the fact that the big 2005 investigation looked into that. those guys were thorough. Cantor would have shut it down then.
I'm thinking more recent. Some infraction in the program is uncovered that has occurred since 2005.

SPD can't undo lack of diligence, etc., that took place in 2002, but it can mitigate those failings by doing an aggressive, thorough job now. SPD can then hope that the public focus is more on the present results than its past omissions.

If that's what is going on (which is what I surmise), there's no necessary connection between SPD's stall tactic and Bernie's being guilty or innocent.

so it is a cover up? whether bernie did these things or not, it is almost unfathomable to me that spd would just blow off a complaint of sexual abuse knowing that if true, it could still be going on with others.

My question is what are they investigating? This is a dead case correct? I mean no charges can be brought to BF on this? So I mean say they decided from the this BF is guilty then what? BF no longer works at SU? His name is already mud. There isn't going to be an expert eye witness all of the sudden who saw the abuse happen we would have heard about it already? There isn't going to be some secret video or would have seen it already. Really this comes down to the word of Davis and Lang versus BF. This lady that is coming out has no real evidence to contribute just the story Lang told her. If that is true or false remains to be seen.

The last couple of things I have read have been more SPD versus DA than Davis versus Fine.

Completely agree.

My question is what are they investigating? This is a dead case correct?

I asked that the day it broke and didn't get a solid answer.

so it is a cover up? whether bernie did these things or not, it is almost unfathomable to me that spd would just blow off a complaint of sexual abuse knowing that if true, it could still be going on with others.

It doesn't have to be--the more appearance of impropriety is what's causing DA / SPD to throw one another under the bus.

"Cover up" feels like just another conspiracy theory on the long list of rumors being bandied about with this case...but as long as this infighting continues and the DA / SPD aren't on the same page, the prospect of what transpired in 2003 being a cover up will continue to have legs.

Someone else said yesterday that there was another molester at SU who was forced into retirement at about this time, and that might have been the person to whom the investigator was referring with the "I know who you are talking about," comment. If so, then maybe the investigator thought the ongoing case(s) were enough, and adding another complainant whose case had expired (due to SOL) wasn't worth it.

It doesn't have to be--the more appearance of impropriety is what's causing DA / SPD to throw one another under the bus.

"Cover up" feels like just another conspiracy theory on the long list of rumors being bandied about with this case...but as long as this infighting continues and the DA / SPD aren't on the same page, the prospect of what transpired in 2003 being a cover up will continue to have legs.

seen very few "conspiracy theories"

Idk what you mean by "cover-up." What I'm suggesting, which is not different from what several others have said, is that it looks like SPD did not do a thorough job (or maybe even any job) in 2002 (presumably b/c the limitations period had clearly expired for crimes in NYS).

Now there are renewed accusations, a media frenzy, and enormous public scrutiny. It seems to me that SPD's thinking might be, "Well, we may have screwed this up 9 years ago, but we're sure gonna get it right now. And, we'll release everything at once, so that we don't get savaged in the meantime."

And, I don't see how that line of thinking has anything to do with the investigation necessarily having turned up evidence of wrongdoing by Bernie Fine. There's every reason to believe that SPD's current investigation (not to mention the work of the DA's office and the US Attorney's office) will be intended to withstand the intense scrutiny that is sure to come, regardless of the conclusions reached.

seen very few "conspiracy theories"
I'm beginning to think there are no conspiricy theories, maybe just one person in the SPD who took a call back in 2003 and never filed a formal report. Now the SPD is trying to cover their butt so they don't look like total incompetents. Then you have a DA that wants to shine a spotlight on it.

The prospect of an intentional 2003 law enforcement cover up would qualify.

yes it would and i didn't say there was one. i asked another poster if that is what they mean. also, you said long list.

yes it would and i didn't say there was one. i asked another poster if that is what they mean. also, you said long list.

No, I said a long list of RUMORS.

I'm not going to split hairs over what constitutes a conspiracy theory versus a rumor--I was typing fast above and didn't imply that there were a "long list" of conspiracy theories--but I have seen two brought up that clearly fall into the realm: one, that there might be an intentional cover up, and two, that Dennis DuVal being COP back in 2003 might have been a factor in how the SPD handled things.

Regardless, I agree with Nola that what we're seeing from Fitzpatrick and the SPD now are probably more motivated by being overcautious given the media scrutiny associated with this case than worrying about a 2003 cover up--that was the point of my response above.