DA Declares War. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

DA Declares War.

Well, there seemed to be something of a lull in the national news about this. So now the local authorities rachet it up a notch by getting into a publicly aired p*ssing match. And that becomes the story and gives ESPN more fuel to add to the story they pretty much have tried to carry on their own.

Is Fitzpatrick, the DA, running for some office or planning a run for something in the near future? He seems to want to create headlines and his name recognition. That's what usually happens when these people get a high profile case.

You think something like this will make him any friends? It's toxic no matter what happens. This is the LAST thing he would ever want to see cross his desk.

You keep saying if others are involved. I wont say whether there are or aren't others, but why do others have to be involved?
What? Now I am even more confused... IF true, there is nothing that could be done because of SOLT. Or so most believe. More importantly, it is just hard to believe more victims would not step forward.

for any attorneys:
i know a lot of people are coming on and saying it's doesn't look good for bernie, but how does this case exactly come to an end? it's not like the police and/or DA can come out and say we have proof/evidence that bernie did commit the crime, therefore he is guilty. you need to be on trial before your peers for that to happen, unless i am missing something. the SOL seems to be up in NY state. the trial would have to be picked up somewhere else the crime was committed where the SOL are still valid for this to end up band, right? even if the DA says there was a cover up, and proves there was, the SOL were still up on this case at the time. if the DA/SPD come out and say bernie is guilty, and they have evidence to prove so, and therefore bernie suffers consequences, that would seem pretty unconstitutional

If no one else comes forward and it dies out and they have a meeting of the minds to get over their differences, then they can say (the SPD+DA) that they find the accusers accounts credible and leave it at that as they can't do as you say and claim he's guilty outright. And due to the SOL then nothing can be done legally to BF in NY. Regardless though he'd obviously be a pariah and career would be over. Then the feds or other states will need to decide if they're going to persue him if theres any allegations in those other states/jurisdictions where the SOL laws are different.

Let's not forget that SU also conducted some sort of investigation and handed over their findings to the DA's office. Let's hope they were thorough and dotted all the i's and crossed the t's. If they truly did not find anything to implicate BF that may be the only evidence up to that point that the DA can use as a basis for his investigation. It sounds more and more that the DA is really investigating the SPD and their potential disregard of the original accusations.

Not sure of your point but I stand by mine.

Bees, FWIW, I commend you on your stance in this entire matter. I have been following this board, in all it's configuration, for a very long time. I can say that some of the opinions and attacks expressed since the Fine case broke have been an absolute embarrassment. Thankfully, there have been a few voices of reason shinning through.

I am sure that I will get ripped for expressing this. I am OK with that.

Let's not forget that SU also conducted some sort of investigation and handed over their findings to the DA's office. Let's hope they were thorough and dotted all the i's and crossed the t's. If they truly did not find anything to implicate BF that may be the only evidence up to that point that the DA can use as a basis for his investigation. It sounds more and more that the DA is really investigating the SPD and their potential disregard of the original accusations.

where did you hear SU gave a copy of the report to the DA? Heard the opposite at least with respect to 2005.

for any attorneys:
i know a lot of people are coming on and saying it's doesn't look good for bernie, but how does this case exactly come to an end? it's not like the police and/or DA can come out and say we have proof/evidence that bernie did commit the crime, therefore he is guilty. you need to be on trial before your peers for that to happen, unless i am missing something. the SOL seems to be up in NY state. the trial would have to be picked up somewhere else the crime was committed where the SOL are still valid for this to end up band, right? even if the DA says there was a cover up, and proves there was, the SOL were still up on this case at the time. if the DA/SPD come out and say bernie is guilty, and they have evidence to prove so, and therefore bernie suffers consequences, that would seem pretty unconstitutional
The DA/SPD cannot come out and say Bernie is guilty. Only a trial in a court in front of a jury of peers can that happen. This is going to come down 1 of 2 ways imo.

1. There will be more accusers, in which case DA will investigate, cue up a grand jury, indict BF and we will have a trial.

2. There will be no further accusers, the DA will have to conclude at some point that nothing else can be done and there are no formal charges against BF and that he is a free man. This isnt great because the cloud of suspicion will always be there.

There is a very faint third option where they say they were lying and this all goes away but I dont think it will happen.

Not sure of your point but I stand by mine.

Just to confirm...your point is "The DA and SPD are fighting because the charges are serious"?

...and if the charges were not serious, no one would care?

If this was nothing more than 2 drugged up lying brothers and a crack whore making up lies, as some here have described the situation, we wouldn't be seeing this all out war between the SPD and DA. You don't have to know a single fact or think Bernie is guilty or innocent to be able to read into the actions of these 2 law enforcement groups.
That makes sense on one level yet is inconsistent with Boeheim's responses. If indeed Bernie has issues that can't be explained, Boeheim would have to know at this point. He's being more measured yet still strongly supporting Bernie. How would you explain Boeheim in the context of your scenario?

If no one else comes forward and it dies out and they have a meeting of the minds to get over their differences, then they can say (the SPD+DA) that they find the accusers accounts credible and leave it at that as they can't do as you say and claim he's guilty outright. And due to the SOL then nothing can be done legally to BF in NY. Regardless though he'd obviously be a pariah and career would be over. Then the feds or other states will need to decide if they're going to persue him if theres any allegations in those other states/jurisdictions where the SOL laws are different.
thanks

The DA/SPD cannot come out and say Bernie is guilty. Only a trial in a court in front of a jury of peers can that happen. This is going to come down 1 of 2 ways imo.

1. There will be more accusers, in which case DA will investigate, cue up a grand jury, indict BF and we will have a trial.

2. There will be no further accusers, the DA will have to conclude at some point that nothing else can be done and there are no formal charges against BF and that he is a free man. This isnt great because the cloud of suspicion will always be there.

There is a very faint third option where they say they were lying and this all goes away but I dont think it will happen.

yeah, but even on point #1, the victim would have to 23 yo or younger as of today. which means bernie, more than likely, would of had to abuse the kid after davis made the original claims. seems pretty risky for bernie after almost getting caught before

Option 3: Scare and guilt tactics, like I said!

You have to be pretty blind to not see that these people are liars. The only question is, did they start lying because they were frustrated with the SOL and being ignored by the PD/DA? That would be understandable. But since there has probably never been a sexual relationship in the history of mankind that consisted of nothing but HANDJOBS for YEARS, I don't think that's very likely.

I honestly dont know how one can even form an opinion on what this means other than it is a huge clusterf**k.

Also, I think, and I apologize if this offends anyone, but whatever, I'm originally from there...the yokelness in the Syracuse waters are coming out here. This smells more like a "you know how important I am? I'm the DA of SYRACUSE, NY"

This suggests to me that this is a lot more about the District Attorney's office and its relationship with the Syracuse Police Department and a lot less about Bernie.

This is it.

The District Attorney's office has had two years of problems with the current police chief; his department is a mess. After having the DA spend two years criticizing him and trying to go over his head, Fowler (like a petty hack) found a great way to spite him, oblivious to the impact this is having on Fine and the university. Now the DA is, understandably, going after him. Most of what he's complaining about is true.

(Meanwhile, many speculate that the mayor doesn't want to remove the black police chief until after the 2013 election. It's a mess.)

Option 3: Scare and guilt tactics, like I said!

You have to be pretty blind to not see that these people are liars. The only question is, did they start lying because they were frustrated and being ignored by the PD/DA? That would be understandable. But since there has probably never been a sexual relationship in the history of mankind that consisted of nothing but HANDJOBS for YEARS, I don't think that's very likely.

People are weird, man. Rex Ryan smells feet. I wouldn't hang your hat on that argument.

Also, I think, and I apologize if this offends anyone, but whatever, I'm originally from there...the yokelness in the Syracuse waters are coming out here. This smells more like a "you know how important I am? I'm the DA of SYRACUSE, NY"
I can attest to the fact that this happens everywhere. Phoenix is a big city and we have a complete clusterf**k at the DA, Sheriff, Cop level...

If no one else comes forward and it dies out and they have a meeting of the minds to get over their differences, then they can say (the SPD+DA) that they find the accusers accounts credible and leave it at that as they can't do as you say and claim he's guilty outrigh

If anyone comes out and says that, I would lose respect for them immediately. It amounts effectively to trying them in the court of public opinion since you cannot use the court, and would really be a gutless move. No way for Fine to defend himself if they go that route.
Which in a way is why I was saying this is a complete clusterf**k of an investigation, with no point to conducting it. If the only thing we get out of it in the end is a witch trial of Bernie Fine, I'm not sure how anyone culpable for that result can feel that they ever remotely lived up to the ideals we purport to hold as our standard having in this country.

That said, I have so little respect for any of the key players in this whole drama that it wouldn't suprise me if that's the outcome.

Every time I see "Stephanie Miner" I think it says "Stephanie Meyer" and start thinking Syracuse is more screwed than I thought.

HA! Had to look up who that was. Though based on the number of people obsessed with fictional characters she might have a hand in this. I'd suspect more glitter if that was the case though.

yeah, but even on point #1, the victim would have to 23 yo or younger as of today. which means bernie, more than likely, would of had to abuse the kid after davis made the original claims. seems pretty risky for bernie after almost getting caught before
Child molestors dont think rationally like that. Sandusky was molesting kids in a Penn State locker room.

Child molestors dont think rationally like that. Sandusky was molesting kids in a Penn State locker room.

Actually you could argue with the level of protection he has received from Penn State, that Sandusky's actions were acutally quite rational.

i am probably over thinking this. yeah i agree, but without a lot of other victims coming forward yet, it makes me think that if bernie did do this, he was very careful about not getting caught. i have no doubt he knew about the original allegations and investigations and knew he would be under scrutiny for a while, which is when the crimes would have to be committed for someone 23 yo or younger to be the victim. sandusky was just arrogant about not getting caught

Just to confirm...your point is "The DA and SPD are fighting because the charges are serious"?

...and if the charges were not serious, no one would care?

Yes, without knowing anything else the appearance based only on the pissing contest is that neither trust each other. Why? Even Fitz said this was the FIRST time ever he was not given evidence. Why? It is easy to say well maybe someone may have done a piss poor investigation before and are now getting their ducks in a row. Why? What can they "fix" now about an old investigation? If it is so obvious that BF is innocent, then why the heightened war? This has to be more than just a couple of punks and their g/f crying wolf. Unprecedented according to Fitz.