DA Declares War. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

DA Declares War.

Roach's statement that she had contacted the DA's office.

Didn't she tell the PS that? What exactly is the big deal here? In addition there is no case until a victim not outside of the SOL is produced.

Do you believe the DA would go after the police like this if there was nothing there?

Yes, especially if they feel they are being made out to look incompetent. No one wants that stigma attached to them, especially in politics.

If this was nothing more than 2 drugged up lying brothers and a crack whore making up lies, as some here have described the situation, we wouldn't be seeing this all out war between the SPD and DA. You don't have to know a single fact or think Bernie is guilty or innocent to be able to read into the actions of these 2 law enforcement groups.

I do not know if Bernie is guilty or not and I am very confused by everything. But I do know that the DA has not gotten any records or any big time investigation of there own yet. So they amount they know can not be much. There involvement doesn't have me worried at this point. I assume the SPD wants to double check everything and tie everything up before they turn over the case to the DA. They do not want it to come back that they let BF off the hook if he is in fact guilty.

They have been called out in the paper by an accuser so they have to save face and push the blame some place else and that is at the SPD.

This spat creates a perception of a possible cover-up at SPD even if no cover-up exists. It's ugly too because this feud has a history, and at this point both sides really ought to grow up and do their jobs because CNY deserves better.

This spat creates a perception of a possible cover-up at SPD even if no cover-up exists. It's ugly too because this feud has a history, and at this point both sides really ought to grow up and do their jobs because CNY deserves better.

It doesn't just create a perception, the DA has flat out said it.

You keep saying if others are involved. I wont say whether there are or aren't others, but why do others have to be involved?

Because if others were not involved or it cant proved to be involved then what the hell are we all doing rehashing this? If others dont come forward can it really be proved that this happened? Is that what this back and forth is about?

and for the record I am not trying to give you or anyone else a hard time. Just trying to understand how other people are interpreting this.

Maybe they are trying to cover something up but what is that

Option 1 BF truly is guilty?
Option 2 They are trying to cover up that they did an awful job of investigating the first time around and they don't want it to get out that they went have a possible child abuser half hearted?

If this was nothing more than 2 drugged up lying brothers and a crack whore making up lies, as some here have described the situation, we wouldn't be seeing this all out war between the SPD and DA. You don't have to know a single fact or think Bernie is guilty or innocent to be able to read into the actions of these 2 law enforcement groups.
The DA and SPD are just covering their asses due to the publicity of the case. If the two accusers were molested then the DA Office nor Police Chief want to be blamed for previous faults of ignoring the accusers. If the claims aren't true then they want to say they were the ones that uncovered the 'truth'. Thats why they're in a pissing match.

Am I missing something? Just sounds like the DA is whining 'cause they're being left out of the loop.

The DA and SPD are just covering their asses due to the publicity of the case. If the two accusers were molested then the DA Office nor Police Chief want to be blamed for previous faults of ignoring the accusers. If the claims aren't true then they want to say they were the ones that uncovered the 'truth'. Thats why they're in a pissing match.
Yup. This is what it appears to me as well.

Bees you're one of the forum stars, but I disagree. Anyone who knows even some of the back story, and it appears you do, would IMHO conclude that the BF incident is another chapter in an on-going feud. The nature & quality of the case is irrelevant in this instance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://t.co/tZaCvPso

Syracuse, NY - District Attorney William Fitzpatrick today accused Syracuse Police Chief Frank Fowler and Deputy Chief Sean Broton of criminally "leaking" a witness affidavit in the Bernie Fine case in an effort to embarrass the prosecutor's office.

"This should frighten every person in the city of Syracuse," Fitzpatrick said. He went on to accuse Fowler of implementing new procedures restricting prosecution access to all reports in the possession of police and to suggest police officials may be responsible for the vandalism of one of his investigator's cars.

"You do not have a police chief. You have a fiefdom," Fitzpatrick angrily claimed in a late morning press conference in his office.

The DA said he believes the police actions aimed at his office are designed "to deflect attention from what they did or didn't do in 2002" when former Syracuse University ball boy Bobby Davis claims he first reported to police that he had been molested by Fine, the SU associate basketball coach.

» Complete coverage of the Bernie Fine investigation

Fitzpatrick called on Mayor Stephanie Miner to get some answers about how the Fine case witness' statement was leaked to The Post-Standard for a story in today's newspaper when the mayor announced Monday that there would be no piecemeal release of information to anyone until the police investigation was completed.

Because the matter involves a grand jury investigation, Fitzpatrick said the leaking of the witness' statement is a Class E felony. While he said he did not expect the newspaper would voluntarily reveal where the statement came from, he said he has the power to issue subpoenas to get to the bottom of that as part of the Fine investigation his office is conducting.

Fitzpatrick said he has had numerous conversations with Miner about his office's problems with Fowler for a couple of years, but he has never gone so far as to call for Fowler's firing. He stopped short of that again today.

But his criticism of the chief was bitter.

"These are paybacks of a juvenile mind, somebody who really doesn't belong in law enforcement," Fitzpatrick said.

"You think I'm going to stand for this?" he asked angrily. "You think I'm going to allow this emperor to think he's going to undermine public safety?"

Fitzpatrick accused Fowler and Broton of "intentionally trying to sabotage" his office's proper investigation of the Fine matter. That includes both Davis' allegations of being molested and what police did or didn't do about those allegations when they were reported to police in 2002, he said.

"I will do that with or without Frank Fowler. He is irrelevant to me," Fitzpatrick said.

Hilarious! I love The Onion.

Why assume that there is anything more than a turf war going on.

Fitzy is acting blindsided, yet you state categorically a number of times that he knows everything that goes on with the program. Based on the nature of the "messages" left at the DA's office there is no reason to believe they had any idea what was going on based just on those.
SU performed an what I would believe to be an exhaustive investigation by BSK. If they had found anything that led them to believe there was anything substantial to this, Fine would have been retired at the time. If SU had found anything to indicate criminal behavior my guess is that they would have turned it over to the DA. Davis was well known in the SU basketball community. Maybe they knew that the guy was not credible. You would have to believe that Welsh and Hopkins were covering up this type of behavior if there was any indication.

It comes down to, based on the information gathered by the SPD, did it rise to the level of something that the police should have turned over to the DA, and if they didn't, why not.

for any attorneys:
i know a lot of people are coming on and saying it's doesn't look good for bernie, but how does this case exactly come to an end? it's not like the police and/or DA can come out and say we have proof/evidence that bernie did commit the crime, therefore he is guilty. you need to be on trial before your peers for that to happen, unless i am missing something. the SOL seems to be up in NY state. the trial would have to be picked up somewhere else the crime was committed where the SOL are still valid for this to end up band, right? even if the DA says there was a cover up, and proves there was, the SOL were still up on this case at the time. if the DA/SPD come out and say bernie is guilty, and they have evidence to prove so, and therefore bernie suffers consequences, that would seem pretty unconstitutional

Because if others were not involved or it cant proved to be involved then what the hell are we all doing rehashing this? If others dont come forward can it really be proved that this happened? Is that what this back and forth is about?

and for the record I am not trying to give you or anyone else a hard time. Just trying to understand how other people are interpreting this.

yeah, i agree. a new victim has to come forward for me think this could get worse, or uncovering some previous allegations against bernie that the police swept under the rug. and, for that matter, the victims could not be in any relation to davis for me not to be skeptical. any evidence that davis brings forth would have me skeptical because why didn't you bring this forth the first time to the police, or the post-standard, or the university, or espn. why bring it forth now?

as of right now with what is public, it seems like the SPD and DA are sizing each other up to see who is bigger

Why assume that there is anything more than a turf war going on.

Fitzy is acting blindsided, yet you state categorically a number of times that he knows everything that goes on with the program. Based on the nature of the "messages" left at the DA's office there is no reason to believe they had any idea what was going on based just on those.
SU performed an what I would believe to be an exhaustive investigation by BSK. If they had found anything that led them to believe there was anything substantial to this, Fine would have been retired at the time. If SU had found anything to indicate criminal behavior my guess is that they would have turned it over to the DA. Davis was well known in the SU basketball community. Maybe they knew that the guy was not credible. You would have to believe that Welsh and Hopkins were covering up this type of behavior if there was any indication.

It comes down to, based on the information gathered by the SPD, did it rise to the level of something that the police should have turned over to the DA, and if they didn't, why not.

Not sure of your point but I stand by mine.

Fitzpatrick called on Mayor Stephanie Miner to get some answers about how the Fine case witness' statement was leaked to The Post-Standard for a story in today's newspaper when the mayor announced Monday that there would be no piecemeal release of information to anyone until the police investigation was completed.

Is this really that hard to figure out? Give you a hint, the leak was last seen interviewed in a pink bathrobe. I'm sure she was paid for this as well.

Again the old joke that I heard years ago with Fitz getting the business end of it rings true more now than ever before: the difference between God & Fitzpatrick is that God doesn't think he is Ftizpatrick.

You keep saying if others are involved. I wont say whether there are or aren't others, but why do others have to be involved?

Because you don't know if there are

Is this really that hard to figure out? Give you a hint, the leak was last seen interviewed in a pink bathrobe. I'm sure she was paid for this as well.
Every time I see "Stephanie Miner" I think it says "Stephanie Meyer" and start thinking Syracuse is more screwed than I thought.

Is Fitzpatrick, the DA, running for some office or planning a run for something in the near future? He seems to want to create headlines and his name recognition. That's what usually happens when these people get a high profile case.