Danny Hurley to the Lakers ?? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Danny Hurley to the Lakers ??

If Hurley goes to the Lakers he will get a ton of money, probably coach for a few years, and when he's fired have the pick of any college job he would want.
Bingo, he will still be able to go back to college at his age

Same goes for Billy Donovan etc

This is the move that Coach K didnt make during the Kobe years, except for K it might have been harder it his age to go back to college at somewhere other than Duke

I think the move is silly for Hurley to want to deal with the cesspool of Clutch sports but its a gamble that you take for give or take 3 years, then realize you probably go back to college

This makes northeast recruiting a little easier for Autry without Hurley in the neighborhood

He sees the writing on the wall. 1) The P5 Schools will be splitting away from the NCAA in the near future (leaving a school like UCONN behind). 2) The gap between the HAVES and HAVE-NOTS will widen, and the HAVE-NOTS (like a UCONN) won't be competitive at all in the NIL game. What he built at UCONN isn't sustainable moving forward. He's getting out at the perfect time for him.
good try, but no.

if there is a bifurcation of division 1 bb, UCONN will be in whatever the top tier is...

this, if it happens, is about the lure of the glitz, glam and $$$$$$$

this wouldnt be about whats wrong with yukon but what about whats right with being the coach of the lakers

So conceivably if Hurley takes both Kimani and Murray - and the players get 30 days to leave - combined with the fact the no one else can enter the portal so UConn couldn’t replace any leaving players (with anyone good at least).

It could be a disaster
from the SU perspective...this would be amazing

we should all be hoping it happens

Bingo, he will still be able to go back to college at his age

Same goes for Billy Donovan etc

This is the move that Coach K didnt make during the Kobe years, except for K it might have been harder it his age to go back to college at somewhere other than Duke

I think the move is silly for Hurley to want to deal with the cesspool of Clutch sports but its a gamble that you take for give or take 3 years, then realize you probably go back to college

This makes northeast recruiting a little easier for Autry without Hurley in the neighborhood
Cesspool of Klutch Sports while making $100M vs living in Storrs, dealing with the cesspool of NIL at a non-P5 football school while making a tenth of what you would in the NBA

Does he really think he’d be any happier or much more financially secure if he coached the Lakers? He’d have to deal with non-pliable, “professional“ basketball players with their own ideas on how things should be done. Schlepping around the NBA for 82 games plus playoffs is no joy. Plus, the games are 20% longer.

Does he believe he can bring the “UConn Way“ to the Lakers? NBA players usually reserve their rah rah, intensity for the playoffs and not so much during the season.

I just think the NBA will eat him up just like it did Pitino.

He'll end up fired in 2-3 years based on Lebron coaches and be able to pocket around $80 million or so for his time and then go pick wherever he wants to coach in college.

Over/under on how many pages the Boneyard Lakers thread hits today? On page 9 already and it's been an hour and a half somewhat early in the morning.

Give me a break everyone wants to coach at the top of their profession. He gets a chance to coach LeBron. College isn’t going anywhere.

The UConn way is just hiring the right assistants he’ll bring them with him.

I don’t think his antics or sideline behavior helps him but if the Celtics wipe the mavs off the floor the NBA is going to try to make LA a super team pronto.
Nobody coaches LeBron.

Cesspool of Klutch Sports while making $100M vs living in Storrs, dealing with the cesspool of NIL at a non-P5 football school while making a tenth of what you would in the NBA
Is that whats being offered? $100 M?

He is untouchable at Storrs. He will be going to a coach killer in LA.

I listen to Petros & Money, LA sports talk and Jeannie Buss has allowed the franchise to be pimped out by Clutch Sports and drafting Jr. They are tired of being nailed by the king, Lebron is not beloved like Kobe was. Basically the felling is, things wont end well there but maybe Hurley can get them better than a 7th seed.

good try, but no.

if there is a bifurcation of division 1 bb, UCONN will be in whatever the top tier is...

this, if it happens, is about the lure of the glitz, glam and $$$$$$$

this wouldnt be about whats wrong with yukon but what about whats right with being the coach of the lakers
If you think UCONN, with its $5 mill TV contract in the Big East and no football money behind it, is going to be "top tier," I don't know what to tell you, but it's just not realistic.

Besides the money he would be getting with the Lakers. Hurley would have the opportunity to win an NBA title and become arguably the GOAT in coaching to have done it at both levels. He may be too competitive to settle at the college level forever. In 10 years from now, it’s possible that the Hurley name is legendary in the High School, College, and the NBA levels.

Does he really think he’d be any happier or much more financially secure if he coached the Lakers? He’d have to deal with non-pliable, “professional“ basketball players with their own ideas on how things should be done. Schlepping around the NBA for 82 games plus playoffs is no joy. Plus, the games are 20% longer.

Does he believe he can bring the “UConn Way“ to the Lakers? NBA players usually reserve their rah rah, intensity for the playoffs and not so much during the season.

I just think the NBA will eat him up just like it did Pitino.
He might be getting bored with winning or maybe he is as upset with the way college athletics are going these days as the rest of us.

Besides the money he would be getting with the Lakers. Hurley would have the opportunity to win an NBA title and become arguably the GOAT in coaching to have done it at both levels. He may be too competitive to settle at the college level forever. In 10 years from now, it’s possible that the Hurley name is legendary in the High School, College, and the NBA levels.
Opportunity, sure. He’s not winning anything with the Lakers, though.

Why would a kid at UConn consider SU? The open spots on the roster are the only thing I can think of as a net positive for us.

A kid could easily come here and start. Our roster isn't that good.

I think McNeely who has already bounced around, could be out the door. Although he likely has better options.

A kid could easily come here and start. Our roster isn't that good.

I think McNeely who has already bounced around, could be out the door. Although he likely has better options.
If I had to guess, I would say Uconn would immediately promote Luke or Kimani, and almost all of the roster stays.

Opportunity, sure. He’s not winning anything with the Lakers, though.
Right, they are in purgatory with a 40 year old lebron and stuck on the 7th seed for the foreseable future

If I had to guess, I would say Uconn would immediately promote Luke or Kimani, and almost all of the roster stays.
Yes, unless Hurley takes them with him. But if they stay they’ll be OK roster wise next year

Hurley is going to need to adjust to the NBA schedule. He is really intense, every possession. He cant do that for 48 mins 82 times a year.

He also will have to adjus to concept of Load Management for LBJ and Mr Glass Davis