Danny Hurley to the Lakers ?? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Danny Hurley to the Lakers ??

Hurley is going to need to adjust to the NBA schedule. He is really intense, every possession. He cant do that for 48 mins 82 times a year.
Yeah I agree. The entire psychology of coaching college vs. NBA is so different. Larry Brown is the only guy off the top of my head who managed to succeed in both. As a college coach, you're probably one of the two highest paid employees in your state, you're probably more famous than all your players, and you can dress down players within reason. In the NBA, you're playing second fiddle to your star players and are more of a "manager."

But as much as I dislike Hurley, I can't blame him for wanting to give the pinnacle of the profession a chance.

Also...
Billy Donovan, who navigated the difficult college-to-NBA path, has strong relationship with Hurley. Just before Hurley became first coach to win B2B NCAA titles since Donovan in 2007, he shared advice he offered Hurley: “You’ve got to be in charge of your own happiness.”

So conceivably if Hurley takes both Kimani and Murray - and the players get 30 days to leave - combined with the fact the no one else can enter the portal so UConn couldn’t replace any leaving players (with anyone good at least).

It could be a disaster

It also points out the importance of keeping at least one spot open in todays college bball climate. You never know who may suddenly be availible.

good try, but no.

if there is a bifurcation of division 1 bb, UCONN will be in whatever the top tier is...

this, if it happens, is about the lure of the glitz, glam and $$$$$$$

this wouldnt be about whats wrong with yukon but what about whats right with being the coach of the lakers
I don't believe that. For the same reason that no P-4 league has taken them.

A kid could easily come here and start. Our roster isn't that good.

I think McNeely who has already bounced around, could be out the door. Although he likely has better options.
Your last sentence was what I was getting at.

I mean basically the worst case for Hurley is this is like when John Calipari went to the Nets. and that didnt really hurt Calipari

Hurley said his wife hated moving to Rhode Island because she wanted to live near family in NJ. She compromised going to Ct. Good luck getting her to move to LA.
i don't believe these stories ever when the really big numbers get thrown around. she'll have access to private jets now to get back to NJ whenever she wants to go home.

If you think UCONN, with its $5 mill TV contract in the Big East and no football money behind it, is going to be "top tier," I don't know what to tell you, but it's just not realistic.
I get your point, but UConn just won back-to-back National Championships. Doesn’t get much more top tier than that. I think one thing conference realignment has shown is that more money doesn’t necessarily equal more success.

LeBron is a top 2 player, but he’s on the downward slope of his career and is a coach’s career killer. Hurley would be dumb to do this, especially with that foster.

Agree 100%.

I don't know why any successful college coach would aspire to the NBA. Those guys get fired so frequently, versus a college situation where they can continue being successful as hell.

Maybe he's "bored" after winning back-2-backs.

I get your point, but UConn just won back-to-back National Championships. Doesn’t get much more top tier than that. I think one thing conference realignment has shown is that more money doesn’t necessarily equal more success.
Dude they are top tier. This isn't football. Gonzaga, Villanova, UConn are top flight hoops programs that have done alot without the football money.

Not sure why we think of UConn as a program in decline. They may be the best basketball school in the country at this point. They won a title with 3 diff coaches. That's elite operation similar to a Kentucky at this point

Hurley said his wife hated moving to Rhode Island because she wanted to live near family in NJ. She compromised going to Ct. Good luck getting her to move to LA.
With 80 million they can move the family to California, or fly home every other week.

Agree 100%.

I don't know why any successful college coach would aspire to the NBA. Those guys get fired so frequently, versus a college situation where they can continue being successful as hell.

Maybe he's "bored" after winning back-2-backs.

Why?

It's either the most famous or second most famous NBA team in the world and arguably a top 5 and no worse than top 10 American sports team in the world.

The pay will be insane.

He'll be in an amazing city with enough money to enjoy all of it.

It's the highest level of competition for the sport he coaches. True competitors want to be Riley or Pop or Jackson vs being Coach K or whatever. The NBA has 30 jobs and is the pinnacle of the sport.

And, he's already won two chips at UConn. And he can always come back to college.

This is a no-brainer. If the Lakers offer, you take it.

Why?

It's either the most famous or second most famous NBA team in the world and arguably a top 5 and no worse than top 10 American sports team in the world.

The pay will be insane.

It's the highest level of competition for the sport he coaches. True competitors want to be Riley or Pop or Jackson vs being Coach K or whatever. The NBA has 30 jobs and is the pinnacle of the sport.

And, he's already won two chips at UConn. And he can always come back to college.

I didn't factor in the LA part of it -- agree that California is way better in many respects that Storrs. No argument there.

It's more about the college vs. NBA dynamic. He can write his own ticket at the collegiate level. He could stay at uconn for the next 20 years if he wants to, and they'll build statues for him. Or he could stay there and continue to coach at a high level until a blue chip program opens up, if he so chooses.

Or he can go to a declining NBA team like the Lakers and be fired in 5 years, like most NBA coaches are.

Or fly the family out to LA. Or relocate them there.

It’s LA.
Yes but LA isn’t NJ!

If Hurley goes to the NBA the only person who properly could take his place on the UConn sideline is probably LaVar Ball

Why?

The pay will be insane.

And Jack has already offered his help.

I didn't factor in the LA part of it -- agree that California is way better in many respects that Storrs. No argument there.

It's more about the college vs. NBA dynamic. He can write his own ticket at the collegiate level. He could stay at uconn for the next 20 years if he wants to, and they'll build statues for him. Or he could stay there and continue to coach at a high level until a blue chip program opens up, if he so chooses.

Or he can go to a declining NBA team like the Lakers and be fired in 5 years, like most NBA coaches are.

He can fail huge at the Lakers and still be paid a ransom's sum to be back in college. I'd take him.