Danny Hurley to the Lakers ?? | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Danny Hurley to the Lakers ??

Best luck they had was Calhoun stepping down before they got Boeh... well you know.
But then even with the Calhoun thing there's quite a bit of luck - he held them hostage and maneuvered so he could make sure his handpicked guy got the job, a lousy coach by most accounts but they still got another natty out of it in '14

Hurley would have been 6th, at best. Your source doesn’t include Lue’s extension with the Clippers. He’s going to make around $14 million annually.

The Lakers didn’t offer the new going rate for head coaches (established after Monty Williams went to Detroit), that’s why people are calling it low-ball or unserious.
Yeah, the “lowball” thing might be loose or sloppy language but it’s not an unreasonable take.

The list of top salaries needs to be parsed in the context of contracts recently signed, not just overall. Hurley isn’t some recently fired coach, sitting around waiting for an offer—he’s at the top of his particular game and has options. It’s Los Angeles—a franchise that should have a coach at the top of compensation. It’s Los Angeles—a city at/near the top of cost of living. LA needs someone badly, at the end of Lebron’s window—there’s some desperation there. Hurley needed to be pried away from what he likely considers a great situation. And lastly-ish, the lowball thing was also related to the expectation that Buss was going to back up the Brinks truck and make an overwhelming offer.

In the context of all that, the offer absolutely does seem low. And it evidently was… too low.

We literally just got a five star forward to commit to us like two weeks ago
Sure…. But as has been noted the portal has changed how the game is played.

Anyways… I’m a fan of Autry and firmly believe he deserves more time. But I am also not convinced this is a bubble team… a lot of things have to go right. And for better or for worse, of the kids who will play next season, the most recent pickup was clearly a backup plan.

It sure doesn’t appear like you’re following recruiting since Red took over if that’s your analysis.
I’m confused as to why you are disagreeing with me so forcibly here. weren’t you lamenting how much we messed up the Lampkin/Q situation and how we have been missing on our primary targets? I hope the freshman both this season completely change the narrative, but I have learned not to bet on freshman

Hurley would have been 6th, at best. Your source doesn’t include Lue’s extension with the Clippers. He’s going to make around $14 million annually.

The Lakers didn’t offer the new going rate for head coaches (established after Monty Williams went to Detroit), that’s why people are calling it low-ball or unserious.

Also if you're going to pull Hurley away from UConn at this (relatively) late date in the process, you have to come in with a massive offer.

I’m confused as to why you are disagreeing with me so forcibly here. weren’t you lamenting how much we messed up the Lampkin/Q situation and how we have been missing on our primary targets? I hope the freshman both this season completely change the narrative, but I have learned not to bet on freshman
I was upset Lampkin was the guy we were willing to go the extra mile for. The rest you must be confusing me with someone else?

I never wanted Q back and 5th year guys are gone after this year.

We definitely don't appear to be missing on HS guys we make a priority.

We complained we didn't get good freshmen before and now we are getting good freshmen we are complaining we got any freshmen? The board recruiting board is littered with top 100 prospects we are after and you're crying sisters of the poor that we are involved with euros?

Last edited:
We should aspire to knock Hurley and UConn off their perch and start winning national championships ourselves. Yeah it seems like we’re light years away but hopefully Red can build on a good Year 1 and we can keep this recruiting momentum going strong. I don’t see any reason why we can’t get to the top tier of college hoops but we have to get off the one title schneid.

CBS interview with DH about the Lakers, why he couldn't leave UConn, when he decided and his biggest reason for staying, and Billy Joel...

This is something I obviously knew but I guess it never really hit me.

Syracuse won in 2003. What an amazing feeling. Top of the world.

Next year UConn wins it all.

We got a single year of bragging rights on them after winning the whole thing.

I hate them.

I hate them.

And they’ve won, what, 3 more since then?

They lapped us as a program.

I hate them.
“Bragging rights” and five dollars won’t get you a cup of coffee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom