Danny Hurley to the Lakers ?? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Danny Hurley to the Lakers ??

I get your point, but UConn just won back-to-back National Championships. Doesn’t get much more top tier than that. I think one thing conference realignment has shown is that more money doesn’t necessarily equal more success.
But since they won back-to-back championships, the landscape has drastically changed, specifically in the past 3 weeks. And what they have done in the past 2 years, they won't be able to do moving forward. The gap between them and the P5 schools (specifically the Big 10 and SEC) is growing, and they are not going to be able to keep up.

The NCAA he won those 2 championships in does not exist anymore. Especially for a school like UCONN with the TV money (or lack thereof) they have coming in

Dude they are top tier. This isn't football. Gonzaga, Villanova, UConn are top flight hoops programs that have done alot without the football money.

Not sure why we think of UConn as a program in decline. They may be the best basketball school in the country at this point. They won a title with 3 diff coaches. That's elite operation similar to a Kentucky at this point
I dont disagree but there is a difference and Mike DeCourcy brought this up on Dusty and Danny today that Uconn right now does not have a bright Fi$cal forecast for their Athletic Department and the way things are moving that could get strained even more

He can fail huge at the Lakers and still be paid a ransom's sum to be back in college. I'd take him.

I could certainly see it from a professional challenge standpoint. As in, he's already won two nattys, so nothing else to "accomplish" at that level [obviously, not suggesting he doesn't aspire to win more]. But if winning championships is the pinnacle, he's already accomplished that twice.

Coaches -- especially successful ones -- tend to be insanely confident. So he probably wouldn't look at the risks associated with the NBA as anything to worry about -- even though it is fundamentally different. For one thing, it's far different coaching kids you recruit versus grown men who make more money than you do. His style [ranting and raving] might not play well at the NBA level, with either his team OR officials. Sometimes, players tune out that style of coaching, whereas that doesn't tend to happen at the collegiate level, and then team dysfunction sets in. I'd also consider than Lebron is a coach killer, and that the team is on the decline and in a bind with the salary cap, so turning things around there might be difficult. Lastly, there is the 35 game college season versus the 82 game NBA season -- might be a factor.

On the other hand, recruiting is insane now with the transfer portal and NIL. Maybe he doesn't want to put up with that anymore. Or maybe he doesn't want to tie his fortunes to the whims of HS aged prospects [and transfers], even though he has things humming at the current time.

I guess it isn't as cut and dry as I suggested above. I just wonder if the short term financial benefit of being paid more to go to the NBA is worth it. Especially if the most likely outcome is that he eventually gets a pink slip.

Last edited:
I didn't factor in the LA part of it -- agree that California is way better in many respects that Storrs. No argument there.

It's more about the college vs. NBA dynamic. He can write his own ticket at the collegiate level. He could stay at uconn for the next 20 years if he wants to, and they'll build statues for him. Or he could stay there and continue to coach at a high level until a blue chip program opens up, if he so chooses.

Or he can go to a declining NBA team like the Lakers and be fired in 5 years, like most NBA coaches are.
Not arguing, but Hurley doesnt seem like a CA guy. He drives a pickup truck instead of a Mercedes like most coaches and is proud of it (stated on an inside access with him) and looks more likely to hang out in a gym and film room than hanging out at the beach

Not arguing, but Hurley doesnt seem like a CA guy. He drives a pickup truck instead of a Mercedes like most coaches and is proud of it (stated on an inside access with him) and looks more likely to hang out in a gym and film room than hanging out at the beach

Yeah, who knows. I know that I personally wouldn't want / choose to live in LA -- but I don't think any argument can be made that the weather there isn't "better" than in Connecticut. For some people [not all], consistent 73 degree weather is preferable to having to deal with snow.

But it isn't for everyone. And obviously, some people like the change of seasons, and even enjoy winter.

I could certainly see it from a professional challenge standpoint. As in, he's already won two nattys, so nothing else to "accomplish" at that level [obviously, not suggesting he doesn't aspire to win more]. But if winning championships is the pinnacle, he's already accomplished that twice.

Coaches -- especially successful ones -- tend to be insanely confident. So he probably wouldn't look at the risks associated with the NBA as anything to worry about -- even though it is fundamentally different. For one thing, it's far different coaching kids you recruit versus grown men who make more money than you do. His style [ranting and raving] might not play well at the NBA level, with either his team OR officials. Sometimes, players tune out that style of coaching, whereas that doesn't tend to happen at the collegiate level, and then team dysfunction sets in. I'd also consider than Lebron is a coach killer, and that the team is on the decline and in a bind with the salary cap, so turning things around there might be difficult. Lastly, there is the 35 game college season versus the 82 game NBA season -- might be a factor.

On the other hand, recruiting is insane now with the transfer portal and NIL. Maybe he doesn't want to put up with that anymore. Or maybe he doesn't want to tie his fortunes to the whims of HS aged prospects [and transfers], even though he has things humming at the current time.

I guess it isn't as cut and dry as I suggested above. I just wonder if the short term financial benefit of being paid more to go to the NBA is worth it. Especially if the most likely outcome is that he eventually gets a pink slip.

Yeah I think this is a lot of it.

I think the most likely scenario is he's a meh NBA coach, he lasts 3 or so years, he gets fired, and he goes back to whatever college job he wants.

Minus being over the top he fits the mold of the Billy Donovan type and honestly I think he struck gold with with right mix of talent and philosophy like Donovan did winning b2b titles. It will be hard to ever reach that peak again and while certainly having a formidable group this year it will be a major step down from the two title years.

If he goes let's grab a player or two (do we even have room now).

Does anyone know if we were ever in the mix for Bobby as a player? Absolutely on of the best college PGs I have ever watched.

We did recruit Hurley. But as Orangefog pointed out, we were more interested in Kenny Anderson, and Hurley was a top priority for Duke, so we weren't in the race down the stretch.

That we ended up with Michael Edwards in that class over either of those options is sickening. Once we lost out on Anderson, I think our choices were basically Edwards or Shawn Golden [who might have ended up at... South Caroliina? Not sure that he even made an impact there].

Really too bad, because we had a loaded team otherwise, EXCEPT for point guard. Can't imagine what Hurley might have done to elevate that team, playing alongside DC, Billy, Stevie, and LeRon.

Im just giddy to the fact that SU and Autry wont have to recruit against multi-national title winners in Jay Wright and Hurley. Thats 4 national titles won by 2 coaches who are Northeast rivals that SU wont have to compete against. I know Pitinio is around but he is getting long in the tooth.

We did recruit Hurley. But as Orangefog pointed out, we were more interested in Kenny Anderson, and Hurley was a top priority for Duke, so we weren't in the race down the stretch.

That we ended up with Michael Edwards in that class over either of those options is sickening. Once we lost out on Anderson, I think our choices were basically Edwards or Shawn Golden [who might have ended up at... South Caroliina? Not sure that he even made an impact there].

Really too bad, because we had a loaded team otherwise, EXCEPT for point guard. Can't imagine what Hurley might have done to elevate that team, playing alongside DC, Billy, Stevie, and LeRon.

Edits:

Shaun Golden went to Georgia, not South Carolina. Looks like he didn't have a big career there:

golden.jpg

ALSO -- I didn't know this information, but came across this tidbit while doing some quick research on Golden just now:

As for the story Golden tells, it's his own, from his childhood, to becoming one of the best high school basketball players in the country in 1989, playing for his father, the legendary Louie Golden, at Riverside, and alongside the likes of Shaquille O'Neal, Bobby Hurley and Kenny Anderson in the McDonald's All-American Game.

The 7-foot-1 O'Neal, of course, became one of the NBA's greatest big men. Hurley, who played at Duke, and Anderson, who played at Georgia Tech, were more in line with the 6-3 Golden, and both went on to the NBA.

"I committed to Syracuse, and my mother cried, and it snowed on my birthday, which is Sept. 14, so I de-committed to Syracuse," Golden said following the program.

He also had an offer from Duke, but Georgia had been his "childhood dream," so after deciding against Syracuse, he opted for Georgia.

Had NO IDEA he had committed here!

Also... snow on September 14th? I'm calling BS on that, even in Syracuse.

Link:

I dont disagree but there is a difference and Mike DeCourcy brought this up on Dusty and Danny today that Uconn right now does not have a bright Fi$cal forecast for their Athletic Department and the way things are moving that could get strained even more
I disagree. UConn is not a private school that has to make ends meet every year. They are the state of Connecticut school and they can fund athletics to whatever they want, within reason, to compete. No CT governor would try to constrain UConn athletics as the political blowback would be harsh.

I disagree. UConn is not a private school that has to make ends meet every year. They are the state of Connecticut school and they can fund athletics to whatever they want, within reason, to compete. No CT governor would try to constrain UConn athletics as the political blowback would be harsh.
I dont disagree with that line of thinking however their Athletic Department is in the red and they are trying to carry FBS football independently without any support from a conference. They dont have an NBC golden parachute like ND.

Edits:

Shaun Golden went to Georgia, not South Carolina. Looks like he didn't have a big career there:

View attachment 241800

ALSO -- I didn't know this information, but came across this tidbit while doing some quick research on Golden just now:

As for the story Golden tells, it's his own, from his childhood, to becoming one of the best high school basketball players in the country in 1989, playing for his father, the legendary Louie Golden, at Riverside, and alongside the likes of Shaquille O'Neal, Bobby Hurley and Kenny Anderson in the McDonald's All-American Game.

The 7-foot-1 O'Neal, of course, became one of the NBA's greatest big men. Hurley, who played at Duke, and Anderson, who played at Georgia Tech, were more in line with the 6-3 Golden, and both went on to the NBA.

"I committed to Syracuse, and my mother cried, and it snowed on my birthday, which is Sept. 14, so I de-committed to Syracuse," Golden said following the program.

He also had an offer from Duke, but Georgia had been his "childhood dream," so after deciding against Syracuse, he opted for Georgia.

Had NO IDEA he had committed here!

Also... snow on September 14th? I'm calling BS on that, even in Syracuse.

Link:
Yes, agree, he’s full of it. Below is an article from 2011 that says Oct 1st, 1946 with .6 of an inch of snow was the earliest recorded date with snow. Of course lately, snow season is much shorter with much less snow.

Syracuse snow season begins today

I would bet that he would be offered more than 10 million a year.
And UConn would have to offer around 8.5 million to make it equal if it was that price. Connecticut actually has some higher taxes than California. Especially property taxes.