Darius Bazely | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Darius Bazely

Being 17 has nothing to do with a lack of character.
Seventeen year olds kill people, commit all sorts of crimes, and engage in wide ranges of awful behavior.
And many do not.
truth

That's exactly who I compared to, and McCullough didn't exactly set the world on fire as a freshman, nor has he done anything to write home about in the NBA.

Well, other than getting drafted in the 1st round and making MILLIONS OF DOLLARS GUARANTEED.

Darius still needs to pull that first part off - which based upon his results to date, may be a longshot.

he is a teenager, so I feel bad for him, teenagers are dumb. and sometimes the adults around them are even dumber
Exactly, what teenager in the world doesn't think they are invincible...I know I did lol. That is why they rely on adults and role models for advice, and this kid obviously does not have good role models or adults in his life.

Seventeen year olds kill people, commit all sorts of crimes, and engage in wide ranges of awful behavior.
And many do not.

And we have no idea the dialog between the coaching staff at Syracuse and Darius. So congratulations on comparing a teenagers decision to the likes of murder.

Well, other than getting drafted in the 1st round and making MILLIONS OF DOLLARS GUARANTEED.

Darius still needs to pull that first part off - which based upon his results to date, may be a longshot.

He's already out of the league. So much for that.

Regarding Bazley, he clearly didn't want to got to school, which is fine. He also got really bad advice from people looking to profit off of him, which isn't fine. He's stuck between a rock and a hard place. The longer he goes without playing meaningful basketball, his stock will plummet.

And many do not.

Matt, I don't see the analogy you're making here. The complexities of choosing one career path over another is in no way "awful behavior."

That's exactly who I compared to, and McCullough didn't exactly set the world on fire as a freshman, nor has he done anything to write home about in the NBA.

Chris McCullough, by his 23rd birthday, has earned $3.8 million.

I'm not sure about you, but I would guess working summers in high school and college I had earned about $20-30k total in my life at my 23rd birthday. He's doing well for himself.

And many do not.
those are examples of actual dirtbags.
a kid being persuaded to make a too-early grab at the brass ring does not fit among them.

And we have no idea the dialog between the coaching staff at Syracuse and Darius. So congratulations on comparing a teenagers decision to the likes of murder.
Mister-Rogers (1).jpg
Mister-Rogers (1).jpg

I have to admit I'm a little surprised. I am one of those that actually saw Bazley play a few times last year. The player they describe is not the player I saw. The Bazley I saw, and was impressed by, would score 20 pts when he could have scored 40 by being greedy and forcing the play as it sounds like he is doing now. That wasn't his game. His offensive game was drive and kick or be kicked out to. Many times he dumped off to players in better position rather than force a 12 foot shot. The kid can shoot. Worst thing I can say is that he may have developed some bad habits there since other than open 3's he would most often shoot a little fade since he could get that off at will and now he can't. I hope he makes it. Always nice when a local kid makes good. I hope for his sake his sugar daddy doesn't get scared off by his poor showings and a year off of competition.
Makes you wonder who’s in his ear telling him he needs to do this and that, play this way to earn the big bucks.

I truly feel sorry for the kid as he seems like a true athletic talent thats being exploited.

Darius Bazley | Age: 18.2 | G League?

6-foot-9 | SF

After Bazley decided last spring to skip college basketball and play in the G League this season, there were heightened stakes for him at this event and not many positives to take away from his performance. There is speculation among NBA scouts that this might have been the last competitive action they will see from Bazley until the NBA pre-draft process next spring -- or even the 2019 summer league. If he doesn't feel ready for the G League, he could reconsider his decision and forgo competitive basketball for the year, similar to Mitchell Robinson last season. Either way, it's a situation with widespread implications beyond Bazley, and an important one to watch.

The youngest participant in these 5-on-5 scrimmages, having only turned 18 two months ago, Bazley looked far from capable of holding his own physically with legitimate college players, struggling to put the ball in the basket and making a litany of bad decisions on both ends of the floor that caused scouts to question his feel for the game.

Bazley bit on fakes on defense, gambled excessively in the passing lanes and let stronger players go right through him en route to the basket, even if his mobility, length and instincts do allow him to make plays on occasion. Offensively, he has a difficult time getting low to the ground and creating high percentage shots, rarely making the extra pass and settling for long 2s when his initial move is cut off. Even when Bazley made an effective move, he would often attempt to finish in bizarre fashion, heaving up awkward floaters and step-backs from difficult angles, shying away from contact and almost never getting to the free throw line in turn. His jumper looked unpolished over the course of the weekend, as he shoots the ball with funky mechanics and an inconsistent release point, having an especially difficult time making shots off the dribble.

Bazley's frame has improved since the last time we saw him on the high school all-star circuit. Standing around 6-foot-9 with intriguing length and a theoretical skill-set, Bazley has quite a bit of long-term upside, but he's far from putting it all together.

Once in a while Bazley would block a shot, outquick an opponent to the glass or make a smooth move in the open court that reminded you of why he was such a touted prospect to begin with. It wouldn't be surprising if he was able to do the same in a private workout during the pre-draft setting and convince a team he's worthy of being picked in the first round, but there are some real doubts at this point about what taking a year off of playing competitive basketball would do for his long-term development, if that's what he decides to do.
Take 1: Sounds like we dodged a bullet.
Take 2: Just the type of player we scratch our heads over when he decides to jump early and ends up a lottery pick.

Makes you wonder who’s in his ear telling him he needs to do this and that, play this way to earn the big bucks.

I truly feel sorry for the kid as he seems like a true athletic talent thats being exploited.

Someone who doesn't give a darn about the kid and sees dollar signs.

Not saying this would ever happen but...if Bazley really got shook from this performance/media criticism & gave SU another thought, could he still enroll at this point?

Not saying this would ever happen but...if Bazley really got shook from this performance/media criticism & gave SU another thought, could he still enroll at this point?
nope. signed with an agent & that rule change has not gone into effect yet

When does that rule change go into effect? I had the same question.

Lolz then.

Can you imagine...

Instead of going to a big name school like Syracuse to play for a HOF coach as the prized recruit on a team that would have legit national championship ability...you sit out the entire year and don't play any meaningful games/competition?

It's tough to mess your options up that royally when you have the world by the balls like this kid had. Impressive lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom