Darius Bazely | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Darius Bazely

Lolz then.

Can you imagine...

Instead of going to a big name school like Syracuse to play for a HOF coach as the prized recruit on a team that would have legit national championship ability...you sit out the entire year and don't play any meaningful games/competition?

It's tough to mess your options up that royally when you have the world by the balls like this kid had. Impressive lol
and salt in the wound: oshae brisset ends up earning the lottery selection you envisioned for yourself

When does that rule change go into effect? I had the same question.
iirc, it won't go into effect until the first season the nba ends the one & done rule.

Chris McCullough, by his 23rd birthday, has earned $3.8 million.

I'm not sure about you, but I would guess working summers in high school and college I had earned about $20-30k total in my life at my 23rd birthday. He's doing well for himself.

He's lucky if he can keep a third of his earnings. And what's left is likely to be gone a few years later if he follows the same pattern of other ex-NBA guys. Can you say Europe?

A young, single guy making 6 figures to spend 5-6 months out of the year playing basketball in Europe sounds awful.

He has a girlfriend/wife and a child.

A young, single guy making 6 figures to spend 5-6 months out of the year playing basketball in Europe sounds awful.

Kinda not the point. Most guys spend what they make and still end up broke.

Hope he signs on an international team and makes a solid living. His handlers did his a greAt disservice putting him at such a disadvantage.

What if Steph Curry, Lillard, and others like them never went to college?

Regarding the earlier mention of a possibility of Bazley getting another chance to play for Syracuse, I believe that Syracuse would want recruits that want to play for Syracuse and not someone who would want a do-over. Bazley (with the advice of his advisors) made his decision and he should stay with it to see how it will end up. The opportunity to play for Syracuse is no longer available.

Chris McCullough, by his 23rd birthday, has earned $3.8 million.

I'm not sure about you, but I would guess working summers in high school and college I had earned about $20-30k total in my life at my 23rd birthday. He's doing well for himself.

Eric,

He has done well. The 3.8M is in the past. He’s 24. There is a lot of water to go under his bridge. I hope he has a good financial planner. He has 50 years left. If he plays his cards right, he could live ion interest. If not, that money will be gone...

At the end of the day, it’s impossible to know right now if he made the wrong decision, and we probably won’t know for another 5 years.

And the article simply said he *could* miss next years G-league. Nothing is definitive that I have seen. I don’t think he will be at Rand University anytime soon.

Darius Bazley | Age: 18.2 | G League?

6-foot-9 | SF

After Bazley decided last spring to skip college basketball and play in the G League this season, there were heightened stakes for him at this event and not many positives to take away from his performance. There is speculation among NBA scouts that this might have been the last competitive action they will see from Bazley until the NBA pre-draft process next spring -- or even the 2019 summer league. If he doesn't feel ready for the G League, he could reconsider his decision and forgo competitive basketball for the year, similar to Mitchell Robinson last season. Either way, it's a situation with widespread implications beyond Bazley, and an important one to watch.

The youngest participant in these 5-on-5 scrimmages, having only turned 18 two months ago, Bazley looked far from capable of holding his own physically with legitimate college players, struggling to put the ball in the basket and making a litany of bad decisions on both ends of the floor that caused scouts to question his feel for the game.

Bazley bit on fakes on defense, gambled excessively in the passing lanes and let stronger players go right through him en route to the basket, even if his mobility, length and instincts do allow him to make plays on occasion. Offensively, he has a difficult time getting low to the ground and creating high percentage shots, rarely making the extra pass and settling for long 2s when his initial move is cut off. Even when Bazley made an effective move, he would often attempt to finish in bizarre fashion, heaving up awkward floaters and step-backs from difficult angles, shying away from contact and almost never getting to the free throw line in turn. His jumper looked unpolished over the course of the weekend, as he shoots the ball with funky mechanics and an inconsistent release point, having an especially difficult time making shots off the dribble.

Bazley's frame has improved since the last time we saw him on the high school all-star circuit. Standing around 6-foot-9 with intriguing length and a theoretical skill-set, Bazley has quite a bit of long-term upside, but he's far from putting it all together.

Once in a while Bazley would block a shot, outquick an opponent to the glass or make a smooth move in the open court that reminded you of why he was such a touted prospect to begin with. It wouldn't be surprising if he was able to do the same in a private workout during the pre-draft setting and convince a team he's worthy of being picked in the first round, but there are some real doubts at this point about what taking a year off of playing competitive basketball would do for his long-term development, if that's what he decides to do.

I am not taking joy in the fact that a promising career is now in jeopardy, but someone gave his horrific advice.

His decision to forego college to play against mature post collegiate athletes has been predictably an absolute failure.

He is not trail blazing, instead he has been turned into a ginnea pig...and has certainly blazed a trail to what not to do.

It's all not Real Madrid.

People throw around hoops in Europe is like other countries throwing around baseball in the USA. Big difference between the Yankees and Myrtle Beach Pelicans.

Lolz then.

Can you imagine...

Instead of going to a big name school like Syracuse to play for a HOF coach as the prized recruit on a team that would have legit national championship ability...you sit out the entire year and don't play any meaningful games/competition?

It's tough to mess your options up that royally when you have the world by the balls like this kid had. Impressive lol

To paraphrase:
“It’s the EXPOSURE, stupid”.

A full year in the ACC spotlight, w/ a NC contending team, playing a system well suited to hiding his defensive flaws and emphasizing his offensive attributes would’ve been priceless for his career.
Who knows where it goes from here, but at this point, this is beginning to look like quite a misstep.

Last edited:
I didn't realize that. So is it possible that his primary motivation for making this decision was needing money right now to care for his baby?

Gave him enough of a reason to leave if he had one foot out of the door already.

Back to Bazely folks.

It's all not Real Madrid.

People throw around hoops in Europe is like other countries throwing around baseball in the USA. Big difference between the Yankees and Myrtle Beach Pelicans.

No way. Who doesn't love the Redneck Riviera compared to the Big Apple? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom