Darius Bazely | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Darius Bazely

Eric,

He has done well. The 3.8M is in the past. He’s 24. There is a lot of water to go under his bridge. I hope he has a good financial planner. He has 50 years left. If he plays his cards right, he could live ion interest. If not, that money will be gone...

That $3.8M works out to under $1.3M/year. 50% in taxes, 15-25% to an agent, lawyer and accountant, leaves you with about $400-500K to live on per year. Factor in the NBA lifestyle (these guys aren't paying $1000/month rent), eating on the road a lot, a few gifts for family and hangers on, and there's very little left for "the future". Like another post said, they probably blow through most of it at the time. These guys don't ever think they're *not* going to be pros, once they make it. And I don't think Chris McCullough or Darius Bazely are going to earn a lot in endorsement contracts, do you?

Last edited:
Man if Syracuse wins the national title again I may drink again (for that Monday night anyway!)

I recently sobered up finally, but may have to break out the Jameson myself. Just for one night. I have no desire to drink anymore. No AA or groups needed. The liver failure is a strong motivator it seems. Winning it all will be a strong motivator to go back for an evening though.

I recently sobered up finally, but may have to break out the Jameson myself. Just for one night. I have no desire to drink anymore. No AA or groups needed. The liver failure is a strong motivator it seems. Winning it all will be a strong motivator to go back for an evening though.
I’m 6’1 and when I drank I weighed 225 lbs. now weigh 175 lbs. beer is great but not worth it!

Chris McCullough, by his 23rd birthday, has earned $3.8 million.

I'm not sure about you, but I would guess working summers in high school and college I had earned about $20-30k total in my life at my 23rd birthday. He's doing well for himself.

On the flip side, 1 could argue he’s cost himself more money than you and I have too.

Also - don’t want to accuse anyone of anything. But out of all the Cuse players in the NBA - my gut (and only my gut- this is a wild opinion) tells me he’s the best candidate for the next Broke documentary.

Wow what a dose of reality pie for Bazely. I feel bad for him. Givony and his connects are as solid as they get. I never felt he was going to be some Durant/Carmelo (more like a poor man’s Tayshaun Prince) but working on his game at the ‘Cuse, getting stronger, and being part of what looks like a very good team would have paid big dividends for him. He would’ve been a well-rounded stat stuffer. So crazy when a guy like Nassir Little, who is MUCH better than him right now, is at UNC and probably never even thought once about choosing the path Bazely chose.

That $3.8M works out to under $1.3M/year. 50% in taxes, 15-25% to an agent, lawyer and accountant, leaves you with about $400-500K to live on per year. Factor in the NBA lifestyle (these guys aren't paying $1000/month rent), eating on the road a lot, a few gifts for family and hangers on, and there's very little left for "the future". Like another post said, they probably blow through most of it at the time. These guys don't ever think they're *not* going to be pros, once they make it. And I don't think Chris McCullough or Darius Bazely are going to earn a lot in endorsement contracts, do you?
This is always the argument, expenses make that 3.8 mil less than it really is. Well, my average syracuse salary is less than it really is after health insurance, taxes, 401k, groceries, fancy beers, etc.

Go get paid while you can and then figure the rest out after. You're further ahead of most at your age even if you fizzle out.

that poor guy.

Go get paid while you can and then figure the rest out after.

honest question... did you just type that?

if he isnt planning for the next 75 years RIGHT NOW, he literally is already as broke as the average guy. he can not afford to "figure the rest out after"

at best, at his "retirement age" he can take out 4, maybe 5% if markets are consistently good of his savings annually. even if he finds a job paying him 50k per year on top of it - he is going to run into a HARD financial brick wall. as a previous poster said, he isn't used to paying $1k in rent or even $2k in rent. It will be hard for him to go back to that lifestyle.

if he isnt planning for the next 75 years RIGHT NOW, he literally is already as broke as the average guy. he can not afford to "figure the rest out after"

at best, at his "retirement age" he can take out 4, maybe 5% if markets are consistently good of his savings annually. even if he finds a job paying him 50k per year on top of it - he is going to run into a HARD financial brick wall. as a previous poster said, he isn't used to paying $1k in rent or even $2k in rent. It will be hard for him to go back to that lifestyle.
How many of us at the same age were prepared to save our money or think of the future? Regardless, if I’d been offered $3.8 million, ummm...I think I’d have taken it, as would most everyone else here, methinks.
Now, whether he’ll be smart and save/invest his money is debatable. But should he have gone for the gold and taken the money? Absolutely! JMHO

How many of us at the same age were prepared to save our money or think of the future? Regardless, if I’d been offered $3.8 million, ummm...I think I’d have taken it, as would most everyone else here, methinks.
Now, whether he’ll be smart and save/invest his money is debatable. But should he have gone for the gold and taken the money? Absolutely! JMHO

well, i'm kind of a different breed. I've been saving/investing since my 1st communion. Literally the 1st thing I did on my 1st day at real job after college was set up my 401k. Roth IRA soon after.

i probably would have stayed in school if i were him but i dont brgeudge him for leaving in any way shape or form.

i do lose respect when i watch the video posted in the other thread of him saying something like (not an exact quote but very close) "i havent gotten a fair shake in the nba. i came back in feb my rookie year and they threw me to the wolves with no training camp before i was ready"

Bro - the most predictable thing of you going pro was that you would start playing after the rehab - you were injured in feb so 1 year equals feb in the NBA. where are you going to training camp? DID YOU REALLY NOT THINK THAT THROUGH? And are you really using that as your excuse?

No I dictated it through my Alexa.

So what is his alternative? Not go to the NBA and make that money? I guess I don't get the argument.

Also, how do we know he isn't saving for his future right now? Let's say he buys a house or starts an IRA at his age, that is an amazing start to his professional life that many people his age don't have.

No I dictated it through my Alexa.

So what is his alternative? Not go to the NBA and make that money? I guess I don't get the argument.

Also, how do we know he isn't saving for his future right now? Let's say he buys a house or starts an IRA at his age, that is an amazing start to his professional life that many people his age don't have.

i am not arguing if he should have gone or not.

just that you said "make the moeny and figure it out later"

he may have started his 401k in the nba. Im pretty sure they match like 150%. so even if he maxed it out at 18500 x 3 -he has 54k + 81k + interest. We'll call it $170k - youre right... fantastic start. just at 7% interest he'll have $2.7 mil at 64 without putting another dime in! But he cant touch that money without big penalties until hes 59.5 yr old.

what does he do from 30-60?

The thing everyone misses with McCullough and some of our other draft picks is they are guaranteed a pension when they retire after 3 seasons in the league.

Bazley screwed himself though. There's no way around it.

The thing everyone misses with McCullough and some of our other draft picks is they are guaranteed a pension when they retire after 3 seasons in the league.

Bazley screwed himself though. There's no way around it.

thats money he can access at 62 i believe. May be able to access earlier for enormous penalties.

i also think pension is 50k for only a 3 yr career which is pretty amazing. NBA does have 1 of the best retirement plans.

Get into coaching? Get into any other professional line of work? Go back to school and earn a degree?

I am 35 and I have no idea exactly what I'll be doing up until I'm 60.

I wouldnt want him on my staff.

its still that financial brick wall - his retirement money he cant touch (without severe penalties) - even if he makes $50k - thats a lot different life style than he is accustomed to. even with a $1 mil in the bank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom