Darius Bazley - Players Tribune | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Darius Bazley - Players Tribune

People really need to read up about how the G League works...
You have to be 18 to play but on average G=L guys are quite a bit older. They have a draft every year, and the league calls up on average 30 players out of over 300 on 26 different teams (includes the new expansion teams). Many of the players (12-13 on a roster) have already played in college and/or the Euro pro-leagues. THere's no guarantee of minutes, especially for a thin forward. IT's guard=oriented, run and gun and there's little team play. He's not guaranteed a contract. If he gets drafted (after he's 18) he can go back and forth (for the first 3-4 years), and he gets paid NBA rates while he's on the team. But this often doesn't amount to much. If he spent a year at SU and the team was successful (it was in the NC discussion per the PS), he forfeits the 36k but if he went in the lottery, the pay-out would be huge. And in addition to better odds (140 declare in college and 20 +/- are drafted) he'd have a (much more pleasant) experience at a private university instead of busses and Motel 8's.

Anything else you'd like to add?

If he really is awesome, then whoever drafts him has a decision to make. Do they develop him, only to have the Knicks say thank you, or do they stash him on the guise of some disability so they can draft him?

If he really is awesome, then whoever drafts him has a decision to make. Do they develop him, only to have the Knicks say thank you, or do they stash him on the guise of some disability so they can draft him?
Ya the g league teams are going to try to develop their guys not someone who is there for a year.

The G-League teams don't have "their guys". They have players working their way towards the NBA, or players on the way out. Isn't the G-League's main purpose to develop players for NBA teams? Minor League baseball has been training diaper dandies for decades. I don't see why the G-League wouldn't be the same. They aren't trying to stash players to try and win more games. What young athlete would want to play for that team ? And the likelihood of Bazley being drafted a year later is pretty high no matter what they do.

You have to be 18 to play but on average G=L guys are quite a bit older. They have a draft every year, and the league calls up on average 30 players out of over 300 on 26 different teams (includes the new expansion teams). Many of the players (12-13 on a roster) have already played in college and/or the Euro pro-leagues. THere's no guarantee of minutes, especially for a thin forward. IT's guard=oriented, run and gun and there's little team play. He's not guaranteed a contract. If he gets drafted (after he's 18) he can go back and forth (for the first 3-4 years), and he gets paid NBA rates while he's on the team. But this often doesn't amount to much. If he spent a year at SU and the team was successful (it was in the NC discussion per the PS), he forfeits the 36k but if he went in the lottery, the pay-out would be huge. And in addition to better odds (140 declare in college and 20 +/- are drafted) he'd have a (much more pleasant) experience at a private university instead of busses and Motel 8's.

Anything else you'd like to add?

This isn’t terribly relevant to anything but your numbers on the g league are wrong, so your math here also actually points in the opposite direction you think.

Last year there were 50 guys called up from the g league, not 30. (2017-18 GATORADE Call-Ups - NBA G League). And this doesn’t count the (many) guys who had an nba contract before being called up. So the denominator for the g league is probably meaningfully smaller than the 300 you estimate, but even going with that, the comparison of odds you are doing here (which in truth I’m not sure makes much sense), would show g league as better odds: 50/300 g league guys (or 1 in 6) make the nba while 20/140 early entrants (1 in 7) make it.

It cracks me up when people throw out the "hope he loves living in some crappy city!" stuff.

Because, we all know, people with college degrees never wind up in crappy cities.

And nobody would ever dare make a joke about Syracuse being a crappy city.

The G-League teams don't have "their guys". They have players working their way towards the NBA, or players on the way out. Isn't the G-League's main purpose to develop players for NBA teams? Minor League baseball has been training diaper dandies for decades. I don't see why the G-League wouldn't be the same. They aren't trying to stash players to try and win more games. What young athlete would want to play for that team ? And the likelihood of Bazley being drafted a year later is pretty high no matter what they do.
Some guys have NBA contracts and others are free agents. Bazley can't sign an NBA contract, so he'd be one of the unattached free agents in the G League.

Here's a goofy question - What if a G League team convinced him to sign a two-year contract. Would the NBA team that drafts him have to buy out that contract?

This isn’t terribly relevant to anything but your numbers on the g league are wrong, so your math here also actually points in the opposite direction you think.

Last year there were 50 guys called up from the g league, not 30. (2017-18 GATORADE Call-Ups - NBA G League). And this doesn’t count the (many) guys who had an nba contract before being called up. So the denominator for the g league is probably meaningfully smaller than the 300 you estimate, but even going with that, the comparison of odds you are doing here (which in truth I’m not sure makes much sense), would show g league as better odds: 50/300 g league guys (or 1 in 6) make the nba while 20/140 early entrants (1 in 7) make it.
I don’t believe that is correct. The G-L itself provided those figures — 30 players per year average (over 5 years). It doesn’t matter if NBA players are also called back, since they already have contracts. Their return (often after rehabbing injuries) isn’t relevant to the Bazely discussion (about a new player being drafted out of the GL for the first time). My “odds” were estimates (as I indicated). But yours are off, since you’re using the wrong number (50) that includes EVERYONE called up, including NBA players sent back temporarily not new players drafted.
Frequently Asked Questions: NBA G League - NBA G League

Last edited:
It cracks me up when people throw out the "hope he loves living in some crappy city!" stuff.

Because, we all know, people with college degrees never wind up in crappy cities.

And nobody would ever dare make a joke about Syracuse being a crappy city.
Syracuse is a college town he would be surrounded by other college kids his age huge difference between that and ft Wayne or soiux city.

Because the minor league teams are developing guys in their system. Why is any team going to put anything into bazely when odds are he is going to be somewhere else next year?

Syracuse is a college town he would be surrounded by other college kids his age huge difference between that and ft Wayne or soiux city.
And it be a celebrity on campus and in town and Syracuse during the basketball season is a lot of fun

Incorrect. The G-L itself provided those figures — 30 players per year average. It doesn’t matter if NBA players are also called back, since they already have contracts. Their return (often after rehabbing injuries) isn’t relevant to the Bazely discussion (about a new player being drafted out of the GL for the first time). My “odds” were estimates (as I indicated). But yours are off, since you’re using the wrong number (50) that includes EVERYONE called up, including NBA players sent back temporarily not new players drafted.
Frequently Asked Questions: NBA G League - NBA G League

This is admittedly a stupid debate (but it’s 930 on a snowy Thursday in April so whatever) but your citation doesn’t actually say what you say it does. It says “MORE than 30 NBA G-League prospects have received a Gatorade Call-up in each of the last six years”. Last year the number was 50. There is nothing in here that says the average number is 30.

I... that completely went over your head.
Maybe it went over your head that staying in a motel in Erie or Grand Rapids along a GL bus tour is not the same as living in a dorm on a hill at an elite private university.

Maybe it went over your head that staying in a motel in Erie or Grand Rapids along a GL bus tour is not the same as living in a dorm on a hill at an elite private university.
WAIT, WHAT?!?!

This is admittedly a stupid debate (but it’s 930 on a snowy Thursday in April so whatever) but your citation doesn’t actually say what you say it does. It says “MORE than 30 NBA G-League prospects have received a Gatorade Call-up in each of the last six years”. Last year the number was 50. There is nothing in here that says the average number is 30.
Again it’s an estimate ... it’s snowy here too. It says at least 30. But your number includes existing NBA players, not new players. I took 30 because that’s the number they gave ... it’s a promotional piece. Twenty (college players drafted annually) is an estimate too. I’m watching the Trump circus on CNN so a precise regression analysis is impractical.

Elite?

And who cares, it's a year and he's focusing that year on basketball with no distractions.

Elite?

And who cares, it's a year and he's focusing that year on basketball with no distractions.
When your life revolves around a sport distractions can be a good thing.

But your number includes existing NBA players, not new players. .

No it doesn’t. The page you cited has that number too - on average 62 guys with nba contracts played in the g league. My 50 number, which comes from the cite I provided a couple posts back, is just call ups. So last year about 110 guys played in both the d league and the nba. That’s a big number! (Actually a lot bigger than I would have guessed)

When your life revolves around a sport distractions can be a good thing.

Based on?

You see guys like Kobe, LeBron, Jordan, Bryce Harper, Tom Brady who have completely dedicated their lives to their craft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom