Darius Bazley - Players Tribune | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Darius Bazley - Players Tribune

Well if his motive was to get out of his Cuse commitment to go to another school, then that's different, and bad. If he wants to play at SU as originally, then than would be fine to help the team win, as most fans were excited about him coming to the hill before this whole G debacle.
Bottom line is that he has gotten some very poor advice. If he wanted to go to the G league, that was very poor advice. If his intentions were to go to another college, he got poor advice on how to handle it. Cuse took the high road when he announced his G league decision and will probably take the high road if he wants to pick another college. Basically this should be a reminder to everyone here how an 17, 18 or 19 year old kid's mind works. We've been on the both sides of the fence (see T.Battle). This one however won't end in our favor.

Now THIS is a perfect example of sour grapes.
Sore grapes because Bazley wants to play in the NBA rather go than to college? It is already stated that he just wants to work on his game rather than socialize with potential teamates. I agree let that kid go play pro.

Why hold out for someone that does not want to go to college. You may say that he is just a player who does not know how to make up his mind except all his stated choices so far has been to improve his chances to play in the NBA not for playing in college.

Last edited:
Bottom line is that he has gotten some very poor advice. If he wanted to go to the G league, that was very poor advice. If his intentions were to go to another college, he got poor advice on how to handle it. Cuse took the high road when he announced his G league decision and will probably take the high road if he wants to pick another college. Basically this should be a reminder to everyone here how an 17, 18 or 19 year old kid's mind works. We've been on the both sides of the fence (see T.Battle). This one however won't end in our favor.
We shouldn’t let him go to another college. No need to take the high road. This won’t be used against us.
Good luck for any coaching trying to negative recruit with this incident.

Bazley isn’t playing D-1 hoops next year.

No comparison to Battle who only verballed, never signed an LOI to Michigan - that’s a huge difference. Battle verballed on May 11, 2015 and reopened his recruitment a month later, June 19, 2015 before his senior year in high school.

Bazely reneged on his signed LOI in April of his senior year, 2 months or so before he was expected on campus. In addition, Battle then never reneged on that signed LOI to Syracuse to go straight to the G League like Bazely either. Both players last names do start with the letter B though. :)

No comparison to Battle who only verballed, never signed an LOI to Michigan - that’s a huge difference. Battle verballed in May 11, 2015 and reopened his recruitment a month later, June 19, 2015 before his senior year in high school.

Bazely reneged on his LOI in April of his senior year, 2 months or so before he was expected on campus. In addition, Battle then never reneged on that signed LOI to Syracuse to go straight to the G League like Bazely either. Both players names do start with the letter B though. :)
I was trying to make a point that it's not uncommon for some of these teenagers to change their minds. It's hard to even try and figure out what they are thinking.

But you are right. Battle changed his mind fairly quickly. I'm sure family was involved with helping him through the process. Bazley is in unchartered waters. We offered last May. He visited late June. He committed early July. Signed early November. Then decides end of March he doesn't want college. I still think Cuse takes the high road if college is in his future. But there are articles from today that says he is G League. Not sure he is that confused.
Darius Bazley on G League decision: 'I'd do it for free'

How? Rules are rules. Not sure why he should be the exception.
I’m referring to not letting him out and then not playing him as the OP suggested

There was zero discord amongst players last year. A bit between Coach/Moyer but that’s it. After game interviews showed Cuse players talking up teammates play. They were on a mission together against the world and fought like dogs together. They are tight. They are a determined bunch. It becomes infectious. I don’t know that I want Bazley interfering with these dynamics especially if Tyus returned. His shenanigans have been numerous and selfish. He has a stated objective taking priority above all else. Releasing people from LOIs is making them a joke. It’s a two way street and I doubt many schools renege in their side( total assumption).

The influential adults in his life seemingly failed him and concocting an unbelievable story to justify the G league decision. The consequences of that decision are probably starting to hit them, and reality is setting in. IMO this may just be a ploy to keep his name out there - they have to know they would have no credibility if he gets a release and attends another school after these shenanigans. As talented as he is, I believe the bridge is burned here even if he wants to go to school, and I doubt he has any interest in attending Cuse. Don't want to give him another thought really.

That's your conclusion. I don't agree. This has ZERO to do with our recruiting staff ... which took the high road when this kid suddenly announced that he was dropping into the G-League 5 months into his written commitment. His spot is open. Take it or go pro. That is the kind of precedent we want to set, and if it offends a few future recruits, good - saves us time.

There are no winners here...

And to contend that losing a 5 star McD on an LOI in March for the program and recruiting staff is somehow a good thing and a good precedent is just nonsense.

I trust the report but i completely believe these idiots (and they are idiots) trying to figure out their options via social media. That's how morons operate in the 21st century. I feel bad for the kid b/c he was taken advantage of. I'm all for employment rights and exercising one's right to be gainfully employed. But this is not the case here. It's at best craven and at worst extortion of a gullible/unintelligent person.

There are no winners here...

And to contend that losing a 5 star McD on an LOI in March for the program and recruiting staff is somehow a good thing and a good precedent is just nonsense.
You missed the point. The only "win-win" scenario would be if DB honored his commitment. Bailing out is not good for anyone, and I'm the last one that wants to lose him. We offered him a scholarship. He accepted and we should stand by our commitment.

However, if he is not standing by his and the de-commitment is final, then he's not coming to SU anyway. In THAT case, we should not make it easy for him to shop other college teams by giving him a release. That is the precedent I'm talking about -- not facilitating more college shopping by a recruit looking to break a long-standing commitment. We can't stop him from going pro, because the LOI doesn't apply to the G-L. So his choice should be, join the Sioux Falls bus tour, go to Europe or come to SU.

Last edited:
I must have missed this. What did Bazely say about Brissett?

Don't know about all the conspiracy stuff that this was all Bazely's way of getting out of the LOI. The kid took a dump on us and he's probably right in thinking that getting his teammates and fans at Syracuse to give him a fair shake is going to be a hard slog. He wants a fresh start. He only plans to play college ball for a year clearly as an audition for the pros. He has no interest in school. I'm not sure he's even worth standing on principle for.

It seems like whenever we get a top talent, we always get the headcasiest of the top talents.

If he decides against the G-League, I don't want to hear anything about needing to get out of his LOI so he can go to a school closer to his infirmed 3rd cousin that he needs to play ball near. The way I see it, there are 3 choices at this juncture; G-League, Europe, or Cuse. I'm thinking the chances of him coming to Cuse are roughly 3% with a +/- of about 2-3%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom