Darius Bazley - Players Tribune | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Darius Bazley - Players Tribune

I can get behind this. Sans Bazely and with Battle back I think we’re slightly better than the bubble anyways. Like you say; hold him to the LOI if Battle and the others are void. We will need all the help we can get.

Every contributor back from last year plus Carey and Hughes is only slightly better than bubble? They were slightly better than bubble last year - while being young and thin. Everybody back plus added depth - I think it’s a tourney lock type team that could possibly do some real damage.

Not sure if buy anything his coach is saying he seems to be a bit of a clown who is in it for himself.

Plus, if there was some behind the scenes whispering going on with his camp and Cincy or whomever, it would prolly be something they'd publicly deny since SU is still holding the LOI, no? I would think there's be NCAA rules against such discussions, no?? Or am I mistaken??

Every contributor back from last year plus Carey and Hughes is only slightly better than bubble? They were slightly better than bubble last year - while being young and thin. Everybody back plus added depth - I think it’s a tourney lock type team that could possibly do some real damage.

You’re probably right. If Carey comes ready to go and if we get moving a bit as a opposed to plodding then I’ll feel better. Hughes is still an unknown. Still need much better player and ball movement. I still can’t tell if JB prefers to play slow now in general, if it’s a bit of a Frank issue with the ball/speed, or just an issue last season because of the depth. Lots of unknowns.

IMO, the offense was still not very good with White/Lydon/Gillon. They wasted a lot of time passing around the perimeter then launching at the end of the shot clock. They made a lot of those shots bailing out obvious horrendous possessions. They needed three heroic plays/buzzer beaters to get three of those wins. The pace was also skewed because they would get buried in games then forced to pick the pace up and make furious comebacks. Many times the D was fine much of the 1H of games, opposing teams were stuck, but we couldn’t extend the lead at all.

Last edited:
never-mind.jpg

It was put pretty succinctly on the recruiting board by normaliswear. Bazley has zero interest in attending classes at a college level while playing ball. He just wants to work so he can play in the NBA. In other words, he probably would be off the team by the start of the second semester due to low or no grades.

Let him go pro.

It was put pretty succinctly on the recruiting board by normaliswear. Bazley has zero interest in attending classes at a college level while playing ball. He just wants to work so he can play in the NBA. In other words, he probably would be off the team by the start of the second semester due to low or no grades.

Let him go pro.

Now THIS is a perfect example of sour grapes.

I will say that nobody in Cincinnati even knows the name Darius Bazley. Every time I have mentioned him while he was an SU recruit people had no idea who he was. Obviously I'm sure the UC coaches know him. As an example, I just checked the UC basketball message board for their Bazley thread. There were ZERO posts regarding him between 7/3/17 and 3/29/18. There have been 5 posts about him since then all regarding him going to the G-League, most of them negative. UC fans are more interested in firing their coach. For a hometown boy/alum Mick Cronin is widely disliked.

I will say that nobody in Cincinnati even knows the name Darius Bazley. Every time I have mentioned him while he was an SU recruit people had no idea who he was. Obviously I'm sure the UC coaches know him. As an example, I just checked the UC basketball message board for their Bazley thread. There were ZERO posts regarding him between 7/3/17 and 3/29/18. There have been 5 posts about him since then all regarding him going to the G-League, most of them negative. UC fans are more interested in firing their coach. For a hometown boy/alum Mick Cronin is widely disliked.

Mick Cronin blew their shot at a national championship, at worst a Final Four. I wouldn't be thinking about Bazley either.

Blowing a 21 pt 2nd half lead will do that to coaches.

Why would SU have to let him out of his LOI when he declared he wanted to go G-League? There is nothing in the NLI language that voids the letter in this circusmtance (unless the version below has changed, it is a couple years old)

https://www.athleticscholarships.ne...2013/01/National-Letter-of-Intent-Example.pdf

The spirit of the letter is to commit schools to players and players to schools. You are completely violating that if you say "i'm going to the G league", void the letter, then say "oops I just wanted a different school"...
The LOI is about college financial aid commitment ... it has nothing to do with the G-L. We've been over this in the thread. IF it's G-L, fine - dumb, but fine. If it's not G-L but again shopping for a school, not fine ... at all. Stick to your guns, JB. NO RELEASE.

If this entire saga is actually about holding him to an LOI... please hold him to the LOI. Or at the very least take measures to ensure that he can't play in a college located in OH next year.
How about make sure he can't play at any school that has "D-1" in front of it.

If the kid doesn't want to play here, it's prolly best to let him move on... I think there should be some conditions - like can't go to any ACC league teams, UCONN or Washington.

That said, if he's decided to come back to college ball and we can't convince him to stay, it's not really a great reflection on our recruiting staff either.
That's your conclusion. I don't agree. This has ZERO to do with our recruiting staff ... which took the high road when this kid suddenly announced that he was dropping into the G-League 5 months into his written commitment. At some point, you have to have a spine. A commitment is a commitment. His spot is open. Take it or go pro. That is the kind of precedent we want to set, and if it offends a few future recruits, good - saves us time.

Last edited:
Well, the prevailing thought is that he wants to play college ball at Cinci. So... Commit to OSU, de-commit form OSU, commit to SU, back out of commitment and be the first ever to go straight to the G-League, then want out of the G-League and back to college to de-commit from SU and commit to Cinci. At some point, it's more than a bad choice...
Well if his motive was to get out of his Cuse commitment to go to another school, then that's different, and bad. If he wants to play at SU as originally, then than would be fine to help the team win, as most fans were excited about him coming to the hill before this whole G debacle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom