Darius Bazley - Players Tribune | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Darius Bazley - Players Tribune

So, if we refuse to release Bazely from his LOI, it will hurt recruiting? I am not sure I buy it. Could there be a kid (or more accurately, his handlers) who looks at such a decision negatively? Absolutely, but then we need to also consider why it is seen as a negative. The only time it would come into play is if the kid wants to agree to play at SU, while holding out hope that another school will come to him with a better offer that he can jump to in the future.

G League raises salaries

The G-League plans to announce today that players will receive a base salary of $7,000 per month or $35,000 total for the entire five-month season during the 2018-19 season, a source told ESPN's The Undefeated. Players can also earn additional money... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0777929259669786786-4 …

35k for 5 months of work is pretty decent for a 19 year old.

G League raises salaries

The G-League plans to announce today that players will receive a base salary of $7,000 per month or $35,000 total for the entire five-month season during the 2018-19 season, a source told ESPN's The Undefeated. Players can also earn additional money... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0777929259669786786-4 …

giphy.gif

G League raises salaries

Just pretty decent?

That's more than decent for most people. Forget the age.

No wonder he hasn’t signed with an agent to get a cut of it.

The mom and the high school coach clearly used the “you can be a trailblazer” line to convince him to go the G League route.
Trailblazers end up under a microscope that could be good or bad for him.

Just pretty decent?

That's more than decent for most people. Forget the age.
Its nothing to get excited about. I make about that as a teacher assistant and I'm not exactly living the good life. First off I don't see him getting the max, and then it all depends on where he goes. If the Knicks take him and he goes to Westchester, good look getting by on that over there. If he goes to like Sioux Falls, yes its doable, he will probably be miserable though. Bottom line its not work crapping away the opportunity he had at Syracuse.

Its nothing to get excited about. I make about that as a teacher assistant and I'm not exactly living the good life. First off I don't see him getting the max, and then it all depends on where he goes. If the Knicks take him and he goes to Westchester, good look getting by on that over there. If he goes to like Sioux Falls, yes its doable, he will probably be miserable though. Bottom line its not work crapping away the opportunity he had at Syracuse.

You get 35K plus living expenses in 5 months? As a TA?

How do you figure?

Would you want to live in South Dakota?

At age 18 and someones going to give me 35K in 5 months and I don't have to spend any of it on food or where I live?

Absolutely.

You have no idea of this kids financial background. What if his family struggles to make ends meat?

I'd take 35K for 5 months and wouldn't look back

At age 18 and someones going to give me 35K in 5 months and I don't have to spend any of it on food or where I live?

Absolutely.

You have no idea of this kids financial background. What if his family struggles to make ends meat?

I'd take 35K for 5 months and wouldn't look back
I'm not sure what 18 year old is going to be thrilled about life in south Dakota. If his family is struggling go to Europe and make a lot more money. Going to be tough to support yourself and family on 30k.

$35K with five months of housing isn't nearly as good as free college tuition, free year-round free housing, free meals and unlimited access to top-flight training facilities.

On purely the financial merits this is a terrible decision.

Why are we still discussing a kid who has no interest in coming to SU and let SU fans down? I think the kid made a bad decision but time will tell whether it was likely a good move or not. Shouldn't we rip the bandaid off, wish the kid well and never utter his name again until we see the results of his decision in a year?

$35K with five months of housing isn't nearly as good as free college tuition, free year-round free housing, free meals and unlimited access to top-flight training facilities.

If he's going for a year ... how is free college tuition better than 35K?

I have a couple SU grads that also got their masters from other big name universities. One is north of $7K a month (projected as $84K /year) and one below. They are also >25 years old. So, if he does his sentence in the G league and gets drafted, he will be doing just fine for an 18 - 19 year old high school grad.

If he's going for a year ... how is free college tuition better than 35K?

Yeah the "free college tuition" argument is a silly one in this case. He gets to put money in the bank ASAP with G-League (or spend it, his choosing). His free year at Syracuse won't mean anything financially if he never decides to finish school.

I don’t want him anymore. When he was all Cuse I was excited but now he would just be for himself and we don’t need him. See ya.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom