Darius Bazley | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Darius Bazley

That article is the only negative thing I've seen on Bazley...pretty sure he had a good combine.

That article is the only negative thing I've seen on Bazley...pretty sure he had a good combine.

Good enough for a second round pick most likely. Haven't read any article saying he looked great or that he stood out in any way.

Good enough for a second round pick most likely. Haven't read any article saying he looked great or that he stood out in any way.

I haven't read much about what transpired on Friday, but everything pre-Friday seemed like, "eh, a project, but likely worth stashing in case he turns out well down the road."

Such a poor decision by him and his family. Wish him good luck but he sure didn’t think it thru. Taking easy way out never works well. Good luck kid.

Teams will look at Mitchell Robinson and the success he had after taking a year off, and somebody will probably take a shot with Baz, maybe even draft him a bit higher than he should really go based upon combine performance.

Teams will look at Mitchell Robinson and the success he had after taking a year off, and somebody will probably take a shot with Baz, maybe even draft him a bit higher than he should really go based upon combine performance.
Mitchell didn’t have a choice. Bazley did. Huge diff

It was just such an incomprehensible position. No one in the history of the game will choose “year off” in their process

He could still very make the NBA, very well get in the first round (late); but his "team" really did him a disservice. They planted this nonsensical "trail blazer" narrative to justify what looks like chasing a quick buck once he skyrocketed in the rankings and didn't look out at all for what would obviously be best for him. Remember this is an Ohio kid who spurned OSU when he got on our radar, and then spurned us when it was felt he was a top 10 talent. I give his agent props for getting him the deal he got, but as a "top 10" recruit, with a year from any real exposure and legitimate competition at a major program, he is not sniffing the lottery.

Him being on national TV or not really means nothing from a scouting perspective. NBA scouting departments don't only watch games and players that are on TV.
Wrong in so many ways ... and sanctimonious about it.

This kid really messed up. And I'm kinda glad. It will prevent other players from trying the tactic which is good for college basketball as whole. Sorry a talented player may have ruined his career but for college basketball this is a good thing.

Wrong in so many ways ... and sanctimonious about it.

Please explain the so many ways that it is wrong.

NBA scouting departments are employed as a full time job with long hours specifically to identify and evaluate potential prospects. That means they watch players from all over regardless of how often they’re on ESPN. This isn’t a difficult concept to grasp and odd that people were and are still trying to argue it.

This kid really messed up. And I'm kinda glad. It will prevent other players from trying the tactic which is good for college basketball as whole. Sorry a talented player may have ruined his career but for college basketball this is a good thing.

Such a pathetic take. You’re glad that a kid may have made a bad decision that harms his ability to help improve and change he and his family’s life all so you can be entertained watching college basketball.

You should be embarrassed by this view.

Such a pathetic take. You’re glad that a kid may have made a bad decision that harms his ability to help improve and change he and his family’s life all so you can be entertained watching college basketball.

No he’s right

Not saying his decision was optimal but as I said earlier in the thread, ultimately 10 years down the road him taking the year off or playing for us is going to have little impact on his NBA career. What matters most is the situation he gets drafted into.

These ESPN guys from draft express are some of the best out there and they were impressed by his play and say he solidified himself as a draft pick.

NBA scouting departments are employed as a full time job with long hours specifically to identify and evaluate potential prospects. That means they watch players from all over regardless of how often they’re on ESPN. This isn’t a difficult concept to grasp and odd that people were and are still trying to argue it.
You have to remember the talent evaluators on this board are better than any professional scouting service. lol Just read the SU should recruit better talent on the fb recruiting board.

Really not sure how you can say it’s a good decision or bad decision yet.

I think you have to see where he’s drafted + where he ends up in 2 years.

Ironically he still has that “mystery” around him. What if he came here, struggled with the zone and only ended up playing 15-20mpg?

Happy to have you post your opinion. Not happy to see you playing mod and (rather sanctimoniously) scolding others. Some reactions are over the top. But it's also true that his young man made a lot of bad decisions, including how he treated SU. Decisions have consequences. Since this is a fan forum, some opinions of him may be negative. Hopefully it all works out for him. But you are entirely incorrect if you think that NBA scouts don't value prospects' performance in college, especially in P5 play and certainly in the NCAA tournament.

Last edited:
Happy to have you post your opinion. Not happy to see you playing mod and (rather sanctimoniously) scolding others. This young man made a lot of bad decisions, including how he treated SU, and decisions have consequences. Since this is a fan forum, some opinions of him may be negative. Hopefully it all works out for him. But you are entirely incorrect if you think that NBA scouts don't value prospects' performance in college, especially in P5 play and certainly in the NCAA tournament.

I have no problem telling someone their take is trash when they say they’re glad that they think an 18 year old kid’s decision will negatively impact his future all because they want to be entertained and are bitter he decided not to play for their favorite team. These players are real people with real lives and families. Posts like those make the entire fan base look horrible. Surprised you would try to justify that outlook.

And where in my post did I say that NBA scouts don’t value how a player performs in college? I said for the people saying he’s missing out on exposure by not having games televised on ESPN that that doesn’t make a difference. If you can play then you’ll be found and noticed.

I don't think that's what he said.

I don't think that's what he said.

“This kid really messed up. And I’m kinda glad”. Then expands on how he’s hopeful this doesn’t work out for Darius so that college basketball isn’t less entertaining for him.

He got a million from a New Balance contract so he has that. It will be interesting to see where he’s drafted. I think many of us forget that JB and staff had to adjust their plans for this year plus missed on other recruits when we prioritized Bazley and he reneged before the season.
I believe to get the $1M Bazely must make an NBA roster or he doesn't get it.

“This kid really messed up. And I’m kinda glad”. Then expands on how he’s hopeful this doesn’t work out for Darius so that college basketball isn’t less entertaining for him.

Well the kid seems to have messed up - he tried to shortcut the system. The general takeaway is shortcuts when you start out in real life tend to not work - that's how I took it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom