Darius Bazley | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Darius Bazley

Yea his timing left us in a rough spot which was unfortunate. There’s no denying that. Still think its pretty weak to say you’re glad you think an 18 year old kid’s decision will be bad and not work out for him and his family because you’re favorite college basketball team was a little worse because of it. Probably can’t be convinced that that isn’t a normal, mature take.

What is sketchy about the deal? The terms are pretty clear and it is between one of the more prominent agencies in the league and a major shoe company. Non traditional isn’t synonymous with sketchy.
I don't know why anyone would wish anything bad on him, I don't care at all one way or the other how things work out for him, but lets stop calling 18 year old men kids. They're not. They're adults. Kids can't vote, get real jobs, join the military and be given any number of high level responsibilities, etc. This delayed adolescence crap in our culture is stupid.

He would’ve made us better but I don’t think we would’ve been all that great either way. In hindsight I certainly couldn’t see us being a powerhouse team that has a great season and makes a deep run.

It’s not like he was the missing piece like a Kenny Anderson in 1990. So I don’t think the “what could’ve beens” should be too strong here.

I’m thinking we still lose at least 10, and max out at the sweet 16 at the absolute best, even with him as we still would’ve lacked perimeter shooting, ball handling, passing, and a center with an offensive game.

I’m intrigued to see how he does.

I don't know why anyone would wish anything bad on him, I don't care at all one way or the other how things work out for him, but lets stop calling 18 year old men kids. They're not. They're adults. Kids can't vote, get real jobs, join the military and be given any number of high level responsibilities, etc. This delayed adolescence crap in our culture is stupid.

Well I misspoke in my post. He made his decision when he was 17, not 18, and hadn’t even graduated from high school yet.

Well I misspoke in my post. He made his decision when he was 17, not 18, and hadn’t even graduated from high school yet.
I suppose that does change things. He was 18 by the time he backed out of the g league though, wasn't he?

My general point remains.

He would’ve made us better but I don’t think we would’ve been all that great either way. In hindsight I certainly couldn’t see us being a powerhouse team that has a great season and makes a deep run.

It’s not like he was the missing piece like a Kenny Anderson in 1990. So I don’t think the “what could’ve beens” should be too strong here.

I’m thinking we still lose at least 10, and max out at the sweet 16 at the absolute best, even with him as we still would’ve lacked perimeter shooting, ball handling, passing, and a center with an offensive game.

There was a some speculation before the season started on what kind of team we’d be fin we had Bazely AND Battle. I think most of them included number one rankings.

So suffice it to say if we had Bazely the season would’ve still been a disappointment.

There was a some speculation before the season started on what kind of team we’d be fin we had Bazely AND Battle. I think most of them included number one rankings.

So suffice it to say if we had Bazely the season would’ve still been a disappointment.

Yeah, I’m sure I’m one of them who had very high hopes for that hypothetical team. But that was assuming a healthy Howard who could improve upon his junior year, and a ready to contribute Carey. Neither thing panned out.

I thought you were underestimating his impact until I came to the part in bold and realized I couldn't really argue. That's a lot of holes for one guy to fill.

there were 4 teams but only 2 games played by each team. their teams ended up not playing each other.

Didnt mean it like that. Assume they still interacted.

Sounds to me like he will "get his wish" and end up "trailblazing" in the G league one way or the other now. Great job by team Bazley lol.

G- league for 1-2 years then p/u in the NBA for a flourishing tier 1 pro career??
or
G-league for 1-2 years then overseas for 5 or so and done??

The second option is where most end up...

The "taking a year off to train on his own" thing is baffling on its own and a sign he has gotten bad advice from the get go.

The "taking a year off to train on his own" thing is baffling on its own and a sign he has gotten bad advice from the get go.

I don’t know how you’re using the term train on his own. But he didn’t just go to the gym to work out. He trained with people who train players for the nba. I even read one article that said he had nba people come watch some of his workouts. May be why he got selected straight to the nba combine and didn’t do the g league one.

I don’t know how you’re using the term train on his own. But he didn’t just go to the gym to work out. He trained with people who train players for the nba. I even read one article that said he had nba people come watch some of his workouts. May be why he got selected straight to the nba combine and didn’t do the g league one.

I heard he was training by schooling fools in those Billy Edelin YMCA rec leagues.

And by doing Zumba on Tuesday nights at Curves.

It was basically the Rocky IV training montage.

You know the one. The barn one.

Who has he been trained by then?

I don't doubt he's on some sort of pro training regimen.

I would also venture a guess that between his agent and whichever shoe company he signed a deal with, some strings were pulled to ensure he got a combine invite.

Who has he been trained by then?

I don't doubt he's on some sort of pro training regimen.

I would also venture a guess that between his agent and whichever shoe company he signed a deal with, some strings were pulled to ensure he got a combine invite.
He signed with New Balance and did an internship with them in Boston. Worked out at the Celtics training facility. Odds are his training regimen was pretty good. He got invited to the combine based on potential and possibly his agent or shoe company but he was far from working out in a church basement.

would also venture a guess that between his agent and whichever shoe company he signed a deal with, some strings were pulled to ensure he got a combine invite.

LOL of course.

He signed with New Balance and did an internship with them in Boston. Worked out at the Celtics training facility. Odds are his training regimen was pretty good. He got invited to the combine based on potential and possibly his agent or shoe company but he was far from working out in a church basement.

Will be interesting to see how the Celtics view him then. They could have three 1st round picks and 1(#22) pick in the second round.

Will be interesting to see how the Celtics view him then. They could have three 1st round picks and 1(#22) pick in the second round.
That’s really right. If they pass at 22 it would likely give others pause given their access to him this last year.

Someday the Baze's unsigned NLI will hang in the Dome's rafters. We lose him to a flukey new method of journeying to the NBA. We lose Stewart because Hopkins had a head start w/him (Juli & Jim sang Happy Birthday to his dad for Chr*st's sake - what more can we do?).
The college bball landscape has changed to a degree it's hard to follow a team and root for players that sometimes evaporate before you can really embrace them - think Ennis, McCullough, Greene etc. Unlike Moten, Coleman and CJ Fair. It's just the nature of the beast. When the NBA comes calling w/millons who's to say no.

On a side note, there are 3 of 4 Assistant football coaches (coordinators) making north of $2mil. It's crazy out there. So grateful for Babers, instead of a flavor of the month coach or a stepping stone coach like Ash or Frost or even Marrone (heard his wife didn't like it here - unsubstantiated rumor) who probably viewed the 'Cuse as a platform to greater success.
I love Syracuse (he said, writing from the Silver State of Nevada), but it's a tough sell. IMHO, the University is the crown jewel of the city and the Dome is its castle (maybe Crouse College - it looks more like a castle). With the bad weather and the diminished industrial base it takes a hearty soul to remain in my beloved Winter Wonderland and it's a tribute to the staffs and athletes of the fball and bball programs that this relaively small, almost Ivy university does as well as it does. But man, when we win it is so sweet and we've got the AD and coaches and S&C coaches to do it.
"Give me Liberty...", then see y'all at the Maryland and Clemson games. LGO!

Too much coffee maybe.

That’s really right. If they pass at 22 it would likely give others pause given their access to him this last year.

Conversely if they ever opted to pick him up early other players, handlers etc would also take real notice. It makes me wonder though the possible relationship that shoe companies and their money may have with NBA choices, particularly the way so many picks are based on ‘future potential’ vs a polished skill set ready to contribute immediately. If colleges, AAU teams etc are being mined to develop shoe company talent, is the NBA immune?

(Juli & Jim sang Happy Birthday to his dad for Chr*st's sake - what more can we do?).

the mormon tabernasal choir may have been what drove them away.

fwiw, latest post combine mocks I've seen show him as a mid 2nd rounder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom