Class of 2014 - DB Deion Hallmon (FL) Offered | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 DB Deion Hallmon (FL) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that scares me is the Jersey kids are actually now taking pride in staying home. If they can actually learn how to game plan, and coach in game, they may be onto something. Whatever they are selling down there everyone is buying.
That's what they would have you believe. The reality is that far more talent still leaves the state than stays in (at Rutgers). They typically get a handful of guys from NJ, a few from PA, a few from NY and a few from FLA. For the most part, the very top players from NJ leave the state. It's no different than what we put up with for the best of NY state - when the SEC, B1G and ND come calling, it's a done deal that they leave the area.

As others have said, RU has beaten us hands down in the PR department. They do a much better job at hype. Take away the smoke and mirrors and there isn't much difference in the end.

based on their on field performance, im not sure their reaping much of anything, but i suppose when you compare it to pre-schiano, there is a difference.

this program is going through what uk is going through now but for different reasons. uk is getting recruits because of stoops. once they get smacked up in the sec and realize they'll never be a player, the recruiting will diminish. rutgers is getting recruits because of the big 10 move. once they get beat down in the big 10, the recruits will take notice. be patient, as it may take but a year in the big 10.

Could not agree more. I think we out coached them last season and that Flood is mediocre X/O guy. They are awful on O. Time for Toto to pull the curtain to reveal an old man with no skills outside of smoke and mirrors.

Possibilities of landing Ishmael and converting him to a corner ?

Or would he definitely remain a wide out

Wasn't it Hallmon who said he wants to go to a good business school a while back. I guess the third best business school in NJ must have really turned him on. ;)

im no mike cohen or tom flemming, but based on my view of ishmael's skill set, i can't see him as anything but a WR.

Could not agree more. I think we out coached them last season and that Flood is mediocre X/O guy. They are awful on O. Time for Toto to pull the curtain to reveal an old man with no skills outside of smoke and mirrors.

I hope you're right. Too be honest, it sounds like we are in some denial. I can't stand it, but I have to admit, from a recruiting standpoint, they seem to be doing better than we did in the 90's. As I scan espn's list for 2014 of top players, they have at least 4 of them. If those players live up to their rankings, they can win in the big 10, but that's enough about them. We really need to keep the ball rolling on our recruiting and put some unexpected W's up.

That's what they would have you believe. The reality is that far more talent still leaves the state than stays in (at Rutgers). They typically get a handful of guys from NJ, a few from PA, a few from NY and a few from FLA. For the most part, the very top players from NJ leave the state. It's no different than what we put up with for the best of NY state - when the SEC, B1G and ND come calling, it's a done deal that they leave the area.

As others have said, RU has beaten us hands down in the PR department. They do a much better job at hype. Take away the smoke and mirrors and there isn't much difference in the end.

Starting with the class of 2011, these kids entered HS knowing Rutgers as a bowl team. I would imagine maybe 5% of New Jersey recruits in the Class of 2014 can tell you who Terry Shea is/was. So if we look at the top 6 in NJ (which are usually all kids wanted by the factories) since 2011, Rutgers has fared well and has landed a very respectable share of the state's top kids..

We got 3 of the top 6 in Jersey in 2011.
We got 3 of the top 6 in Jersey in 2012.
We got 1 of the top 6 in Jersey in 2013. (Transition year between Schiano and Flood)
We have 2 of the top 6 in Jersey so far in 2014 but we are in good shape for 3 of the top 6 again.

If we get a B1G bump I would expect it to be in next year's class and in 2016 when these kids will actually begin to see schools like Penn State, Wisconsin and Michigan coming to Piscataway.

Starting with the class of 2011, these kids entered HS knowing Rutgers as a bowl team. I would imagine maybe 5% of New Jersey recruits in the Class of 2014 can tell you who Terry Shea is/was. So if we look at the top 6 in NJ (which are usually all kids wanted by the factories) since 2011, Rutgers has fared well and has landed a very respectable share of the state's top kids..

We got 1 of the top 6 in Jersey in 2013. (Transition year between Schiano and Flood)
We have 2 of the top 6 in Jersey so far in 2014 but we are in good shape for 3 of the top 6 again.

If we get a B1G bump I would expect it to be in next year's class and in 2016 when these kids will actually begin to see schools like Penn State, Wisconsin and Michigan coming to Piscataway.

Look, I love the optimism and respect (just threw up in my mouth a little) what you've done in recruiting recently - but if you can't beat Louisville at home when Teddy's leg was hanging there - good luck with Michigan, Wisconsin, etc. Recruits be be wowed and then the game will start.

Indiana of the East, only without a Basketball team.

yea, but you have to sustain your success ON THE FIELD. no one is arguing rutgers hasn't done a decent job at recruiting lately. you are a better and more recognizable program than pre-schiano. but you have to admit, it doesn't matter if you don't wwin. your best year is co-big east champs and a shitty bowl game. you have no BCS bowl. you have no other high tier bowls. you have a weak out of conference schedule with very few premier wins during the regular season. if you go to the big 10, and get creamed, which is a very real possiblity (i argue its a likelihood but thats just an opinion), youre recruiting will fall off and youll fade back into obscurity. you cannot deny that being a possibility. how likely it is to happen is debatable.

yea, but you have to sustain your success ON THE FIELD. no one is arguing rutgers hasn't done a decent job at recruiting lately. you are a better and more recognizable program than pre-schiano. but you have to admit, it doesn't matter if you don't wwin. your best year is co-big east champs and a shitty bowl game. you have no BCS bowl. you have no other high tier bowls. you have a weak out of conference schedule with very few premier wins during the regular season. if you go to the big 10, and get creamed, which is a very real possiblity (i argue its a likelihood but thats just an opinion), youre recruiting will fall off and youll fade back into obscurity. you cannot deny that being a possibility. how likely it is to happen is debatable.

Fair enough. But as you correctly point out, we are recruiting pretty well despite our onfield performance, without big time bowls, without signature wins, let alone a BCS Bid. So while we may stink it up in the B1G, what do you think will happen if we are competitive? I have only seen one person on this board even bring this possibility up (Phat of all people).

Just consider this, our recruiting as I outlined in my last post reached a significant uptick with the Class of 2011. Those kids will only be reshirt Jr's for the most part NEXT year. The very good Class of 2012 will only be either true Juniors or reshirt sophmores NEXT year. So our first year in the B1G is when we will start to see these kids in the lineup in large numbers, especially along the lines where it counts.

Third place in the B1G Eastern division means a New Year's Day bowl and Rutgers should not be at a talent disadvantage to Penn State or Michigan State in 2014.

1) whose rankings are these? I've been getting the StarLedger for nearly 20 years and I keep up with their rankings and where the players are going to college. The biggest fish almost always go out of NJ. Check the link to the SL top 50 signees for where they're going (LSU, Bama, Arkansas, UNC, Temple, Miami, GT).
http://www.nj.com/hssports/blog/foo...rage_from_the_star-ledger_and_affiliates.html

2) why top 6? That's kind of a strange cutoff since 6 is only important in volleyball and hockey. 3/6 ain't bad, but 3/10 or 5/20, or 8 of the Star Ledger's top 50 (see link above) from last year, when you've supposedly "locked down" NJ doesn't look nearly as good, which is why I surmise you've chosen 6.

3) why did you choose the class of 2011 again? Wasn't the best year of RU's history 2006? You should have seen a big boost before 2011. Of course none of the players know who Terry Shea was! RU only started playing football in 2005, or so they've all been led to believe. The RU recruiting pitch goes as such: We beat Princeton 49-2 in the very first football game ever played in 1869. We then established a D1A team in 2005 when Greg Schiano stepped down as Head Coach of the Miami Dolphins to coach at his alma mater, Rutgers, ushering in the "Era of Champions" at Rutgers.

4) how has this translated on the field? Recruiting is the art of identifying your needs and selling your program to HS players who you identify are the best fit for your program in any given period. The ultimate results of recruiting are borne out on the football field in the form of Ws and Ls. Which brings us back to my main point: strip away the smoke and mirrors and the recruiting results of RU and SU have been pretty similar over the past 4 years. It doesn't do much good to fill a class with athletes if you need WRs who can actually catch more than 1 out of 3 passes that hit them in the hands.

Fair enough. But as you correctly point out, we are recruiting pretty well despite our onfield performance, without big time bowls, without signature wins, let alone a BCS Bid. So while we may stink it up in the B1G, what do you think will happen if we are competitive? I have only seen one person on this board even bring this possibility up (Phat of all people).

Just consider this, our recruiting as I outlined in my last post reached a significant uptick with the Class of 2011. Those kids will only be reshirt Jr's for the most part NEXT year. The very good Class of 2012 will only be either true Juniors or reshirt sophmores NEXT year. So our first year in the B1G is when we will start to see these kids in the lineup in large numbers, especially along the lines where it counts.

Third place in the B1G Eastern division means a New Year's Day bowl and Rutgers should not be at a talent disadvantage to Penn State or Michigan State in 2014.

The point you make is valid in that "if we are competitive". That is also key for SU. The problem I have with Rutgers is that you play cupcakes in your OCC. You open against San Jose St, we open against Penn St. For years RU has done this.

Your problem going into the B1G is they force you to play 9 conference games, leaving you with 1 less cupcake to schedule. Also RU has never experienced an away game at Ohio St, Mich or Mich St - not even sure if your team has ever played at Penn St either.

I suspect the hidden cupcake schedule will be exposed once you go to the B1G and it will be exponentially harder for you to make a bowl game on a consistent basis. It will be nothing like RU has ever experienced before in my opinion.

SUs transition to the ACC will be much easier as we have always scheduled difficult OCC games like Penn St, ND, Missouri and even Northwestern is expected to be very good this year. RU, without even realizing it, is in for a big shock.

1) whose rankings are these? I've been getting the StarLedger for nearly 20 years and I keep up with their rankings and where the players are going to college. The biggest fish almost always go out of NJ.

I used Rivals. Why would you possibly use the Star Ledger for rankings? Do you think the Star Ledger hold camps to evaluate prospects? They don't. But even if you did use the Star Ledger, what you linked is 2013 which I already stated was our worst recruiting year on paper in the last four I suspect because this was Flood's first year as head coach. Also, you think Rutgers is offereing the top 50 kids in NJ every year? Not even remotely close.

2) why top 6? That's kind of a strange cutoff since 6 is only important in volleyball and hockey. 3/6 ain't bad, but 3/10 or 5/20, or 8 of the Star Ledger's top 50 (see link above) from last year, when you've supposedly "locked down" NJ doesn't look nearly as good, which is why I surmise you've chosen 6.

OK, let's go with the Top 15 since 2011 (according to Rivals). If you want to use ESPN or Scout, go for it. Keep in mind, BCS schools are still taking top 30 kids in NJ so Top 15 are usually highly sought after.

2011 6 of top 15
2012 8 of Top 15
2013 2 of Top 15 (Again, Flood's first year after Schiano)
2014 6 of Top 15 so far...

Because the StarLedger actually keeps up with how the players perform on the field and gives that more emphasis than a 2 day camp/combine result (crazy, I know).

you may be equal on the recruiting sites for 2014, but those programs arent missing on the kids they want. Playing them year and year out, youre looking at the 5 through 7 spot. im not saying wed do any better, but you cant think youll beat out mich, osu, or penn state ever. Thank goodness youve got maryland and indiana, but maryland and indiana are syaing thank goodness weve got rutgers

Not necessary. No need for all the handwringing in this thread if you ask me. If they're desperate for DB help, they'll go the JuCo route like they did this year and find someone serviceable. I would worry more about linemen on either side of scrimmage. As we've seen, it's harder to recruit (Mavety), enroll (Williams), or quickly develop (Miller) good linemen out of JuCo. To my way of thinking, where we're really hurting is OL/DL recruiting.

i just admitted it so there's two people. get off the 'what if' train and come gloat when you actually do it. until then, about your recruits because it doesn't matter.

i just admitted it so there's two people. get off the 'what if' train and come gloat when you actually do it. until then, about your recruits because it doesn't matter.

You're right, recruiting doesn't matter. Strange that you would say that while participating in the "Football Recruiting Forum."

You're right, recruiting doesn't matter. Strange that you would say that while participating in the "Football Recruiting Forum."
Your recruiting doesn't matter. Not the idea of recruiting as a whole. BTW, your average star ranking on scout is below Syracuse's.

did i say recruiting doesn't matter, or your (rutgers) recruits don't matter when you don't win? i'm pretty sure its the latter.

seriously dude, congrats on the slight improvement in your program. be happy for now because there's a strong possibility of very dark days down the road.

This thread has taught me that every newborn kid in New Jersey receives a book about Rutgers, and that the Star Ledger, a dying newspaper, knows more about players' future prospects than the multi-billion dollar recruiting services industry. Good stuff guys, keep it up.

This thread has taught me that every newborn kid in New Jersey receives a book about Rutgers, and that the Star Ledger, a dying newspaper, knows more about players' future prospects than the multi-billion dollar recruiting services industry. Good stuff guys, keep it up.

And its taught me that there are way too many RU fans that have nothing better to do then frequent a SYRACUSE board because they seek validation from the big brother who spent all but 7 years kicking their asses up and down the field ... including hanging 70 on them in a game. Good stuff jackasses keep coming here slapping up your look at me posts with nothing but 1 co-championship in your miserable history that you shared with us. You guys truly are pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.