DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State

If he’s going to start, sure.

If he’s just going to be a guy in the mix, I’d stay at the school where you’re already an established starter.
Meh. He’s getting called up to AAA. Without NIL, he’s probably entering the draft.

Carter should do well wherever he goes but what bothers me is when he's in the NFL, it'll show another school
Do they still do pre-taped player intros on SNF or MNF? He can say whatever he wants then.

If you listened to the Mob Podcast you would know what his family situation is like. I hope he gets a lucrative NIL offer and helps out his family. He's a fantastic person.

Honestly I can't fault one single kid for pursuing a better opportunity in life. No matter their current situation. They didn't create this new normal they are just living in it.

Is it a better life for your family taking tens of thousands now to potentially sit on the bench for a couple years and throw away your NFL potential? Or start and play at Cuse, get drafted and get a shot at making millions in the NFL? Now, if you start at Ohio State, you are golden. But that’s the dilemma these kids face. I don’t envy them.

Is it a better life for your family taking tens of thousands now to potentially sit on the bench for a couple years and throw away your NFL potential? Or start and play at Cuse, get drafted and get a shot at making millions in the NFL? Now, if you start at Ohio State, you are golden. But that’s the dilemma these kids face. I don’t envy them.
You do realize bench guys at schools like Bama and OSU get drafted right? Not as highly as their starters certainly, nor as often, but it does happen.

in addition these kids confidence in themselves is sky high. He expects to earn a role and at least eventually become a starter at these elite schools he’s looking at. If he didn’t have that confidence in himself, he wouldn’t end up an NFLer anyways.

Havent been in this thread in awhile. Just reading a few comments. Responses would be totally different if people knew his situation.

So - is there any chance that Syracuse could match whatever NIL action he's looking to get from another school, to keep him here?

Assuming THAT is the driving reason behind this potential move, and not something like:
I wanna have a chance to play for a Natty.
(which, clearly, ain't happening here anytime soon)

All else equal, he's going from a virtually guaranteed starting spot, to having to compete for minutes against guys who were much more highly rated/recruited than he was.

I'd hate to see him make this jump, only to end up as a reserve player, who then likely blows their shot at the NFL.
Especially if the NIL $ was about the same. (which I'm guessing it is not, hence this move)

$29k was his pre 2022 season NIL worth I’m fairly confident.

Id suspect in certain situations (at certain schools) he’s now worth 5-8x that.

I bet Syracuse would pay him a lot more than 29k.

But OSU will out-pay whatever Cuse will. And Texas may out-pay whatever OSU will.

No hard feelings with Jahad. Just bitter a personality and talent like his is gone.

Last edited:
So - is there any chance that Syracuse could match whatever NIL action he's looking to get from another school, to keep him here?

Assuming THAT is the driving reason behind this potential move, and not something like:
I wanna have a chance to play for a Natty.
(which, clearly, ain't happening here anytime soon)

All else equal, he's going from a virtually guaranteed starting spot, to having to compete for minutes against guys who were much more highly rated/recruited than he was.

I'd hate to see him make this jump, only to end up as a reserve player, who then likely blows their shot at the NFL.
Especially if the NIL $ was about the same. (which I'm guessing it is not, hence this move)
Sucks for us fans but best for him and his situation.

Sucks for us fans but best for him and his situation.
Good luck to him. He was fun to watch and I really liked his personality.

Can't begrudge him making a change to help his family. I am sure all of us would if put in the same position.

I hope he gets a ton of money and finishes his college career strong.

Last edited:
Havent been in this thread in awhile. Just reading a few comments. Responses would be totally different if people knew his situation.

And this is where Syracuse needs to take the idea of the NIL collective seriously if they aren't already. You have a top talent in the secondary leaving to help keep the lights on which is what anyone would do if presented with a better offer.

And this is where Syracuse needs to take the idea of the NIL collective seriously if they aren't already. You have a top talent in the secondary leaving to help keep the lights on which is what anyone would do if presented with a better offer.
They do but it’s not like there is a NIL cap. Other programs have more money, it is what it is

NIL gives me such love/hate feelings. Sometimes I just throw my hands in the air in disgust, like what this has all gotten too so quickly. The money may have been there already tk some point but now it’s being injected into every decision and it takes some of the CFB charm away. But, I do get that it’s fair to the player who was a free employee for way too long.

So dang conflicting! And if this move is strictly due to NIL deals it will stink. I totally get doing what’s best for him and his and he SHOULD do so, but it just doesn’t feel like the college football I grew to originally love.

How much does he need? Is there no NIL money in Syracuse at all?

i'm going to have to take a look at Weitsman's latest W2 and see if he's given any money to syracuse or the football program once and for ALL!!!**

**this is a joke for those who don't frequent the MBB board
Not a direct reply other than the mention of the MBB board…

A lot of the reactions here remind me of when guys like Ennis and Grant went pro. Fast forward to today, and now the majority doesn’t fault Swider for leaving.

This is a better opportunity for Carter. Period. It won’t hurt his NFL potential. It’s a promotion and a step closer towards realizing his NFL potential.

So it will always be fair to inquire as to how large the Syracuse Nil program is BUT if you think Syracuse will be able to outbid the Ohio State's of the world, then you should prepare for some disappointment because that is not happening and that is not a practical expectation for Syracuse. Again that doesn't mean that Syracuse doesn't do what it can but fans need to be a little realistic.

You do realize bench guys at schools like Bama and OSU get drafted right? Not as highly as their starters certainly, nor as often, but it does happen.

in addition these kids confidence in themselves is sky high. He expects to earn a role and at least eventually become a starter at these elite schools he’s looking at. If he didn’t have that confidence in himself, he wouldn’t end up an NFLer anyways.
I realize that but if you never get on the field, it’s harder to get drafted. If you play as a freshmen and sophomore, you have the ability to leave earlier than you might waiting things out at a powerhouse program. That would get you making millions in the NFL 2 years earlier for your family.

There are a lot of kids in tough situations, people need to keep that in mind as this crazy portal/NIL world continues, it often is the difference between eating and not eating for a family

A football player that has a chance to go to Ohio State makes total sense to me.
If he's going to make the NFL, he can make the NFL at Syracuse. If he's not going to make the NFL, he won't make it by playing at Ohio State.

If you're good enough, you will get noticed, no matter what the school (especially Power 5). If you are not good enough, you can play for Alabama and not make it

If he's going to make the NFL, he can make the NFL at Syracuse. If he's not going to make the NFL, he won't make it by playing at Ohio State.

If you're good enough, you will get noticed, no matter what the school (especially Power 5). If you are not good enough, you can play for Alabama and not make it

This is especially true for the NFL. Check out how many small school / lower level players get drafted EVERY SINGLE YEAR in the NFL draft, even from non D1 programs.

If you can play, the NFL finds you -- no matter where you play.

$29k was his pre 2022 season NIL worth I’m fairly confident.

Id suspect in certain situations (at certain schools) he’s now worth 5-8x that.

I bet Syracuse would pay him a lot more than 29k.

But OSU will out-pay whatever Cuse will. And Texas may out-pay whatever OSU will.

No hard feelings with Jahad. Just bitter a personality and talent like his is gone.
Schools can't pay any money to any player, but I understand what you are trying to say

This is especially true for the NFL. Check out how many small school / lower level players get drafted EVERY SINGLE YEAR in the NFL draft, even from non D1 programs.

If you can play, the NFL finds you -- no matter where you play.
Certainly this is true. That said if you aren't a freak or an obvious first rounder it can be a more difficult road through some programs due to lack of exposure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom