DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State

I get what you're saying and why this sudden change is so unappealing. I really do.

But to tell the whole story, you have to also speak to how we got here. The insatiable greed from the institutions (the Presidents/ADs/BoTs) led us to this place. It was unavoidable. You can't have schools treating this like big business, having teams, coaches, ADs, staff all moving around for the biggest offer possible. And then turn around and tell the players (from whom all this money is generated), you still get the same deal, free education.

The players are the ones who decided that was no longer equitable, and I don't blame them. As much as I hate the where it's taking the sport.

Great post. I will add one more thing. The ncaa and its member institutions could have tried to come up with something different but they didn’t. They could have come up with some trust formulation where players share in revenue and get shares in the trust the longer they stay in college. Theres more that could have been tried before opening up the players to the underbelly of college sports. Maybe what I am suggesting wouldn’t work but to me, the schools created something that is essentially impossible to regulate.

Playing DB at Ohio st gives you more visibility on prime time games, more scouts attending practices and games. Scouts like to visit teams that have multiple prospects. Because of their reputation some of their players get the benefit of the doubt. For ex. I thought Shawn Wade was over hyped in college and now its showing. He is fighting every season just to make the roster.
If you're good, scouts will find you. The then Oakland Raiders had come to a Syracuse practice during Andre Cisco's sophomore season to watch him work out.

Let's think about this realistically. While some here are talking about the quoted 29k figure from that website I'd think a proven commodity like 'Had will easily pull 500k+. Texas in a state where A&M is paying 1m to unproven recruits has to be offering at least that for a proven asset. They'd be dumb not to and money isn't really an object for them.

I have no idea. I guess I was thinking about portal guys when he said 2 of the 3 (Linton, Duce, Carter) and considered age. I could be wrong but I thought he was answering a question specific to portal? I’m not sure now I’ll have to go back and look because Bergeron and Tucker are also leaving early for NFL and didn’t think to factor them in?

I thought he meant Jackson and Queeley

Let's think about this realistically. While some here are talking about the quoted 29k figure from that website I'd think a proven commodity like 'Had will easily pull 500k+. Texas in a state where A&M is paying 1m to unproven recruits has to be offering at least that for a proven asset. They'd be dumb not to and money isn't really an object for them.
Realistically the dude is honorable mention all ACC, what makes you think he so valuable?
I just don’t see it.

A lot of people in this thread have never been in these kids’ shoes. Some of you sure do like to tell them what they should do
I think he should do whatever he wants to do, but I think the value being put on him by some people is way to high.

I think he should do whatever he wants to do, but I think the value being put on him by some people is way to high.
What’s your basis? The market isn’t even defined yet. He’s betting on his body of work as well as his personality and brand against others also in the marketplace. He is going to get paid well. Six figures at a minimum. The market does not have enough history and stability yet to determine what the value of these players will be.

What’s your basis? The market isn’t even defined yet. He’s betting on his body of work as well as his personality and brand against others also in the marketplace. He is going to get paid well. Six figures at a minimum. The market does not have enough history and stability yet to determine what the value of these players will be.
I could go with low six figures, but people throwing out half a million is a price I just don’t see.

I could go with low six figures, but people throwing out half a million is a price I just don’t see.
I think 500k is entirely possible for both DBs in the portal. Proven commodities in your defensive backfield are hard to come by and if that’s the missing piece to a playoff caliber defense…

There are a few big money schools that still need CB and S for next year.

I’m sure we offered him an NIL deal. Ohio St is loaded with safeties. If he wants to make it to the NFL he had a clear path to add to an already impressive and most importantly , improving, skillset. I can’t see Ohio St offering him any life changing money. We have an idea of the situation , but it could be a short sighted decision with who knows advising him.

I don’t mind as much since Dino said both Carter and Linton have their degrees. Still he will always be identified as an Ohio St/Texas player if he makes it to the league.
He might be making a huge mistake. Lots of kids dont " Get found" by the NFL. If he ends up on the Blue blood bench he better pray he makes as odds are he won't.

Great post. I will add one more thing. The ncaa and its member institutions could have tried to come up with something different but they didn’t. They could have come up with some trust formulation where players share in revenue and get shares in the trust the longer they stay in college. Theres more that could have been tried before opening up the players to the underbelly of college sports. Maybe what I am suggesting wouldn’t work but to me, the schools created something that is essentially impossible to regulate.
None of that would have stopped NIL, which stems from EA Sports (I believe) using Ed O’Bannon in their video game and not paying him for it. Schools sharing revenue is separate from players selling their NIL for separate income. (Just like other professional athletes).

Realistically the dude is honorable mention all ACC, what makes you think he so valuable?
I just don’t see it.
Anybody who really watched the conference this year knows he was better than honorable mention. I would go as far as saying he was one of, if not, the most improved player in the entire league. Plus he made huge game changing plays in our biggest game (Clemson). I went back and watched a condensed version of that game today and he was all over the place. Also, I know I said it before but he dropped an easy pick 6 against BC after making a great play on the ball. Playmakers like Cisco, Trill, Williams, and Carter don’t grow on trees, even at the highest level.

I do think some of the numbers people are throwing around like $500k are way way overboard. I’m going to assume it would be more like $50k absolute tops for a safety. I just hope he makes the right decision as Ohio St fans were already complaining when they found out he wasn’t a corner because they said they are loaded at safety. Plus if they weren’t offering a 5 star QB a big enough NIL deal then I’m sure they aren’t shelling out big $ for a safety.

Playing DB at Ohio st gives you more visibility on prime time games, more scouts attending practices and games. Scouts like to visit teams that have multiple prospects. Because of their reputation some of their players get the benefit of the doubt. For ex. I thought Shawn Wade was over hyped in college and now its showing. He is fighting every season just to make the roster.
But what if your not on the field as much to get noticed? I’m just basing this off what I have read that Ohio St seems to be pretty deep at safety. He did visit there so obviously that’s an option. I’m sure he’s confident that he can win the starting spot, but are you willing to risk your draft stock on it?

The notion that concept of "student-athlete" was concocted as a workers' compensation defense in the 1950s is not accurate.

The fact is that the traditional model - play for free college, room and board - is perfectly fair and equitable.

Were players given cash and free meals and other benefits in the 1970s, 80s into this century? Of course they were.

Do I have a problem with players being given money for jersey sales? I do not - even though I have little doubt that the name on the back of the jersey - as opposed to the colors/scheme/tradition of the jersey does not truly drive sales.

What we have now is utter instability with furtive financial dealing that smacks of sleaze.

Athletes will play within the parameters established.

Would I accept BS sponsorship deals if they were made available to me in today's world?

I probably would because it is the new paradigm.

But, I still find it unappealing. I think it moves way, way beyond what college athletics should entail.

I hope you're right that SU can compete in this environment. How much am going to have pitch in to pay Garrett Shrader??

Anybody who really watched the conference this year knows he was better than honorable mention. I would go as far as saying he was one of, if not, the most improved player in the entire league. Plus he made huge game changing plays in our biggest game (Clemson). I went back and watched a condensed version of that game today and he was all over the place. Also, I know I said it before but he dropped an easy pick 6 against BC after making a great play on the ball. Playmakers like Cisco, Trill, Williams, and Carter don’t grow on trees, even at the highest level.

I do think some of the numbers people are throwing around like $500k are way way overboard. I’m going to assume it would be more like $50k absolute tops for a safety. I just hope he makes the right decision as Ohio St fans were already complaining when they found out he wasn’t a corner because they said they are loaded at safety. Plus if they weren’t offering a 5 star QB a big enough NIL deal then I’m sure they aren’t shelling out big $ for a safety.
The portal is going to be used by some players who don’t really want to leave to gain financial leverage. Just like people in the office place who threaten to leave and/or resign. We may not see either Duce or Ja’Had back but I suspect if they wanted to be back it could get done.

I just don’t see it.
I agree - good player for us no doubt, but in reading some of these comments I thought we lost Ed Reed. Good for him if he's getting NIL or if he just wants a bigger fishbowl or whatever. Thanks for your service, good luck, and who's up next.

I won't try to throw a number out because really the market is all over the place. I can frame his value though another way. I think it's fair to say that over the last 10 years Ohio State would be considered one of the top 4 teams in the country based on performance. If Carter signs with Ohio State and starts then that tells you in one way how good he is and his value. Not talking dollars but I think people are under valuing how good he played this season.

The portal is going to be used by some players who don’t really want to leave to gain financial leverage. Just like people in the office place who threaten to leave and/or resign. We may not see either Duce or Ja’Had back but I suspect if they wanted to be back it could get done.
I was thinking about that.
Coach, I have to get $50k this year NIL to take care of my family.
Well, I don’t know how much you can get here. Why don’t you test the waters and see what is out there. I hope you will give our people a chance to match it before you transfer. We would love to have you back.

But what if your not on the field as much to get noticed? I’m just basing this off what I have read that Ohio St seems to be pretty deep at safety. He did visit there so obviously that’s an option. I’m sure he’s confident that he can win the starting spot, but are you willing to risk your draft stock on it?
If you cant beat out Ohio st safties then you cant beat out NFL safties for a roster spot. Going against those wr's every day in practice prepares him for the NFL.

This sounds like Ohio st DB's are the ones to be worried.

If you cant beat out Ohio st safties then you cant beat out NFL safties for a roster spot. Going against those wr's every day in practice prepares him for the NFL.
Sometimes coaches make mistakes. Better players sit. Favorites are real. Tucker was 5th team. Buried.
I understand if he needs the money. If its for any other reason it isnt making any sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom