DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State

Syracuse has out recruited wake for the last 7 years (this year not included) so I don’t think talent on the player side is what is separating cuse and wake at this point
Wake redshirts every freshman that comes in. There’s hardly any exceptions. When you do this long enough, you have a roster that is older and more experienced.

Wake redshirts every freshman that comes in. There’s hardly any exceptions. When you do this long enough, you have a roster that is older and more experienced.
Throw in COVID and an injury year and you've got 6 years. :)

Buying into the "almost everyone redshirts" plan requires AD support for the first 2-3 years.
Other programs are looking for 2+ bowl games in the first 3 years.
Those two plans don't usually mesh.

Here's to the Orangemen getting back to the 8+ bowl games per 10 season pattern.
Have 2-3 years of top-4 ACC finishes, including 1+ championship game, and most of us would happy. :)

Havent been in this thread in awhile. Just reading a few comments. Responses would be totally different if people knew his situation.

It’s his choice, regardless of his situation.

It shouldn’t take you coming here and vouching for him. But good on you.

Again, waiting for all the people dealing with the vapors to say they only will accept Lamson starting at QB and not GS or CDRW.

$29k was his pre 2022 season NIL worth I’m fairly confident.

Id suspect in certain situations (at certain schools) he’s now worth 5-8x that.

I bet Syracuse would pay him a lot more than 29k.

But OSU will out-pay whatever Cuse will. And Texas may out-pay whatever OSU will.

No hard feelings with Jahad. Just bitter a personality and talent like his is gone.
Actually, OSU is struggling with NIL just like Syracuse has been. They have lost multiple potential recruits this cycle (Damon Wilson for example) becuase of a poor NIL approach. Their recent QB flip even noted that Washington had a better NIL offer than Ohio State. So while Texas or Texas A&M will out-pay Syracuse, OSU may not.

If you listened to the Mob Podcast you would know what his family situation is like. I hope he gets a lucrative NIL offer and helps out his family. He's a fantastic person.
I’m sure we offered him an NIL deal. Ohio St is loaded with safeties. If he wants to make it to the NFL he had a clear path to add to an already impressive and most importantly , improving, skillset. I can’t see Ohio St offering him any life changing money. We have an idea of the situation , but it could be a short sighted decision with who knows advising him.

I don’t mind as much since Dino said both Carter and Linton have their degrees. Still he will always be identified as an Ohio St/Texas player if he makes it to the league.

I’m sure we offered him an NIL deal. Ohio St is loaded with safeties. If he wants to make it to the NFL he had a clear path to add to an already impressive and most importantly , improving, skillset. I can’t see Ohio St offering him any life changing money. We have an idea of the situation , but it could be a short sighted decision with who knows advising him.

I don’t mind as much since Dino said both Carter and Linton have their degrees. Still he will always be identified as an Ohio St/Texas player if he makes it to the league.

What’s considered life changing $ when your family is barely surviving?

What’s considered life changing $ when your family is barely surviving?
If your on pace to feed your family for a lifetime and willing to chance that for the next 8 months then it’s up to you. Like I said Carter has his degree so you can’t be mad at that and he has shown the personality where I’m sure he will be successful at whatever he does even if it’s not football.

If your on pace to feed your family for a lifetime and willing to chance that for the next 8 months then it’s up to you. Like I said Carter has his degree so you can’t be mad at that and he has shown the personality where I’m sure he will be successful at whatever he does even if it’s not football.

I think it’s easier for some people to be able to think like that than others. We should always remember that.

Are you sure he has his degree? I know Linton and Tucker have their degrees and Dino was okay with them leaving early in part because of this.

Carter has only been on campus for 2.5 years. He had to go to prep school because of grade issues and was not an early enrollee. It would be a remarkable achievement for even the best of students to graduate in 5 semesters. Trying to do it while playing football at the same time, which is basically a full time job, would be incredible.

Hoping Ja’had finds a place that pays him a ton of money. Good luck to him.

The flip side of that is he becomes the starting safety for Ohio State, makes a significant NIL deal and due to Ohio States record and his performance he gets a shot at being a top 10 pick in his (Carters) mind. He isn’t going to Ohio State thinking he is on 3rd string. He is taking money now for his family and he is thinking he is positioned to jump in the draft. Say what you want, Ohio State visibility, playoff participantion and a chance to play on the big stage and significantly raise his draft status is all in his mindset.

Last edited:
Are you sure he has his degree? I know Linton and Tucker have their degrees and Dino was okay with them leaving early in part because of this.

Carter has only been on campus for 2.5 years. He had to go to prep school because of grade issues and was not an early enrollee. It would be a remarkable achievement for even the best of students to graduate in 5 semesters. Trying to do it while playing football at the same time, which is basically a full time job, would be incredible.

Hoping Ja’had finds a place that pays him a ton of money. Good luck to

I have no idea. I guess I was thinking about portal guys when he said 2 of the 3 (Linton, Duce, Carter) and considered age. I could be wrong but I thought he was answering a question specific to portal? I’m not sure now I’ll have to go back and look because Bergeron and Tucker are also leaving early for NFL and didn’t think to factor them in?

The flip side of that is he becomes the starting safety for Ohio State, makes a significant NIL deal and due to Ohio States record and his performance he gets a shot at being a top 10 pick in his Carters mind. He isn’t going to Ohio State thinking he is on 3rd string. He is taking money now for his family and he is thinking he is positioned to jump in the draft. Say what you want, Ohio State visibility, playoff participant and a chance to play on the big stage and signifi raise his draft status is all in his mindset.
I’m not trying to get too into a kid making a decision that he feels is best for his family, but wasn’t there a poster in here earlier saying Ohio St doesn’t have a good NIL presence . I don’t think every kid that transfer is automatically getting all this money, especially at a place at tOSU that already has a ton of stars. I think Nick Saban said last year he only had about 10 guys with big NIL deals. With the success of the MOB podcast and his personality you think he could get as good of an NIL deal here? As far as exposure I have to disagree. NFL will find talent wherever it is and draft your accordingly.

I have no idea. I guess I was thinking about portal guys when he said 2 of the 3 (Linton, Duce, Carter) and considered age. I could be wrong but I thought he was answering a question specific to portal? I’m not sure now I’ll have to go back and look because Bergeron and Tucker are also leaving early for NFL and didn’t think to factor them in?
I'd be shocked if Carter had a degree. To go from non-qualifier to a degree in 2.5 years would be nothing short of a miracle. Even Tucker, he would have had to get his degree in 2.5 years. Unless Dino is saying he will have it at the end of this year. Bergeron makes sense, as this is his senior year.

I'd be shocked if Carter had a degree. To go from non-qualifier to a degree in 2.5 years would be nothing short of a miracle. Even Tucker, he would have had to get his degree in 2.5 years. Unless Dino is saying he will have it at the end of this year. Bergeron makes sense, as this is his senior year.
Well when he said 2 of the 3 have their degrees who is he referring to ? I didn’t know there was going to be math involved.

Again, waiting for all the people dealing with the vapors to say they only will accept Lamson starting at QB and not GS or CDRW.
The backup spot next year, and starting spot the following year will be interesting.

GS will be the starter next season. If the backups are up to speed then he could be pulled on a bad day (or if he has physical issues). CDRW was ready to roll this this year when needed.

The 2024 Spring game and season battle should be interesting on the QB front.

I hope you're right that SU can compete in this environment. How much am going to have pitch in to pay Garrett Shrader??
OrangePA Shrader isn’t like the rest. The kid grew up just outside Charlotte and couldn’t give the ACC media peoples any recommendations on restaurants in Charlotte, smiling when responded as much. Not saying he’s not worth some $$$, just saying he doesn’t think like the rest.

anomander I’ve long been a fan of yours and your posts. Appreciate you. You cannot expect a private school to compete with a public school in any sense of the matter in the environment that has brewed sense Y2K. Couldn’t compete with the facilities arms race and sure as hell can’t compete in the NIL era. Save for having a few bonafide billionaire alumni that happen to be of the T.Boone Pickens variety, Public State Universities always will have the upper hand.

OrangePA Shrader isn’t like the rest. The kid grew up just outside Charlotte and couldn’t give the ACC media peoples any recommendations on restaurants in Charlotte, smiling when responded as much. Not saying he’s not worth some $$$, just saying he doesn’t think like the rest.

anomander I’ve long been a fan of yours and your posts. Appreciate you. You cannot expect a private school to compete with a public school in any sense of the matter in the environment that has brewed sense Y2K. Couldn’t compete with the facilities arms race and sure as hell can’t compete in the NIL era. Save for having a few bonafide billionaire alumni that happen to be of the T.Boone Pickens variety, Public State Universities always will have the upper hand.
I don’t think anyone is beating down the door to pay Shrader to transfer.

I’m not trying to get too into a kid making a decision that he feels is best for his family, but wasn’t there a poster in here earlier saying Ohio St doesn’t have a good NIL presence . I don’t think every kid that transfer is automatically getting all this money, especially at a place at tOSU that already has a ton of stars. I think Nick Saban said last year he only had about 10 guys with big NIL deals. With the success of the MOB podcast and his personality you think he could get as good of an NIL deal here? As far as exposure I have to disagree. NFL will find talent wherever it is and draft your accordingly.
Playing DB at Ohio st gives you more visibility on prime time games, more scouts attending practices and games. Scouts like to visit teams that have multiple prospects. Because of their reputation some of their players get the benefit of the doubt. For ex. I thought Shawn Wade was over hyped in college and now its showing. He is fighting every season just to make the roster.

The notion that concept of "student-athlete" was concocted as a workers' compensation defense in the 1950s is not accurate.

The fact is that the traditional model - play for free college, room and board - is perfectly fair and equitable.

Were players given cash and free meals and other benefits in the 1970s, 80s into this century? Of course they were.

Do I have a problem with players being given money for jersey sales? I do not - even though I have little doubt that the name on the back of the jersey - as opposed to the colors/scheme/tradition of the jersey does not truly drive sales.

What we have now is utter instability with furtive financial dealing that smacks of sleaze.

Athletes will play within the parameters established.

Would I accept BS sponsorship deals if they were made available to me in today's world?

I probably would because it is the new paradigm.

But, I still find it unappealing. I think it moves way, way beyond what college athletics should entail.

I hope you're right that SU can compete in this environment. How much am going to have pitch in to pay Garrett Shrader??
He’s doing car commercials. There’s no risk he is transferring out.

The notion that concept of "student-athlete" was concocted as a workers' compensation defense in the 1950s is not accurate.

The fact is that the traditional model - play for free college, room and board - is perfectly fair and equitable.

Were players given cash and free meals and other benefits in the 1970s, 80s into this century? Of course they were.

Do I have a problem with players being given money for jersey sales? I do not - even though I have little doubt that the name on the back of the jersey - as opposed to the colors/scheme/tradition of the jersey does not truly drive sales.

What we have now is utter instability with furtive financial dealing that smacks of sleaze.

Athletes will play within the parameters established.

Would I accept BS sponsorship deals if they were made available to me in today's world?

I probably would because it is the new paradigm.

But, I still find it unappealing. I think it moves way, way beyond what college athletics should entail.

I get what you're saying and why this sudden change is so unappealing. I really do.

But to tell the whole story, you have to also speak to how we got here. The insatiable greed from the institutions (the Presidents/ADs/BoTs) led us to this place. It was unavoidable. You can't have schools treating this like big business, having teams, coaches, ADs, staff all moving around for the biggest offer possible. And then turn around and tell the players (from whom all this money is generated), you still get the same deal, free education.

The players are the ones who decided that was no longer equitable, and I don't blame them. As much as I hate the where it's taking the sport.

His family is barely surviving?! Please start a fundraiser and call all charitable services immediately.
Florida State fans and their collective did just that for a player who's home was damaged in a storm. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom