DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State

Sometimes coaches make mistakes. Better players sit. Favorites are real. Tucker was 5th team. Buried.
I understand if he needs the money. If its for any other reason it isnt making any sense.
Maybe he wants to play for a Natty

Sometimes coaches make mistakes. Better players sit. Favorites are real. Tucker was 5th team. Buried.
I understand if he needs the money. If its for any other reason it isnt making any sense.

How was Tucker buried? He was a true freshman who hadn’t had a chance yet to show what he could do.

I get what you're saying and why this sudden change is so unappealing. I really do.

But to tell the whole story, you have to also speak to how we got here. The insatiable greed from the institutions (the Presidents/ADs/BoTs) led us to this place. It was unavoidable. You can't have schools treating this like big business, having teams, coaches, ADs, staff all moving around for the biggest offer possible. And then turn around and tell the players (from whom all this money is generated), you still get the same deal, free education.

The players are the ones who decided that was no longer equitable, and I don't blame them. As much as I hate the where it's taking the sport.
The free education they get, if you want to call it that, often puts them in majors that have no real world value to keep them eligible for ball. Go to Cuse.com and look at the roster. See what they're majoring in. Is Communication and Rhetorical Studies still the major of choice on the Hill?

Speaking of big business, Sidearm Sports, which powers Cuse.com, is another venture that's profiting off of the backs of college athletes.

The portal is going to be used by some players who don’t really want to leave to gain financial leverage. Just like people in the office place who threaten to leave and/or resign. We may not see either Duce or Ja’Had back but I suspect if they wanted to be back it could get done.
Good point. It forces them to make a decision after they test the waters and find out that another school can provide them with a better experience and opportunity

Yeah true dat Babers even said in one of the recent signing day pressers (I believe it was about Bergeron) that he was put into action by chance and was immediately impressed. He basically said he couldn’t believe the OLine coach didn’t have the kid first string.

Which begged the question, how are the first string picked. It was curious to me that Babers laid it in on the position coach.

I didn’t think Carter was an Ohio State level target, but if so, good for him.

Question though, are we planning to counter? If not, why not? Is it because we can’t afford to or because we don’t think he’s worth the going rate?

Did we decide that there was better value in the safeties who transferred in?

I feel like there’s so much we don’t know about this whole fascinating process.

I get what you're saying and why this sudden change is so unappealing. I really do.

But to tell the whole story, you have to also speak to how we got here. The insatiable greed from the institutions (the Presidents/ADs/BoTs) led us to this place. It was unavoidable. You can't have schools treating this like big business, having teams, coaches, ADs, staff all moving around for the biggest offer possible. And then turn around and tell the players (from whom all this money is generated), you still get the same deal, free education.

The players are the ones who decided that was no longer equitable, and I don't blame them. As much as I hate the where it's taking the sport.
I don't disagree.

But, in the end, I'm a Syracuse guy.

That's what I care about.

As much of a disadvantage Syracuse University had operating within the traditional paradigm, I worry - at lot - that our disadvantage in this system will kill the Football Program.

Question though, are we planning to counter? If not, why not? Is it because we can’t afford to or because we don’t think he’s worth the going rate?

we dont counter. the groups with the money do.

Howard and Adams was opting out. He just had to beat out Pierre Lutz and Jordan. He was still learning pass/run calls and protections behind a horrible O line. Cream eventually rises to the top.

Cooper Lutz had been transferred to receiver. The other guy Sean had to get past was Markenzie Pierre, who transferred. Lutz was then converted back into a running back to back up Tucker.

Last edited:

OSU is on warp speed to fix its defensive backfield. Everyone is clamoring for this on their end.

It will give someone like Carter an opp to be featured (and be beloved if he shows out).

But OSU isn’t just going to pin its hopes on one guy. They are going to make multiple bets to fix the situation.

Great questions. This is like employee development and retention 101 stuff. Not necessarily how athletic departments have needed to think about things in the past, because players didn't have these kinds of options.

Cooper Lutz had been transferred to receiver. The other guy Sean had to get past was Markenzie Pierre, who transferred. Lutz was the converted back into a running back to back up Tucker.
Yes I forgot Lutz was moved to RB that season.

I don't disagree.

But, in the end, I'm a Syracuse guy.

That's what I care about.

As much of a disadvantage Syracuse University had operating within the traditional paradigm, I worry - at lot - that our disadvantage in this system will kill the Football Program.
It won't kill the football program.

Because we're not the most resource rich on the block (ie, not the Yankees and Dodgers) we're going to have to find creative ways to compete.

But rest assured, there will be inefficiencies created by this new world, and smart programs will figure out how to make the rules creating these inefficiencies work for them.

There isn't a perfect correlation between throwing money at things and success. It's a loser's mentality to think otherwise.

The question is - how confident are we that we can be one of the smart programs?

I think we can be. So I'm less worried, and more fascinated to see, how it all plays out.

How was Tucker buried? He was a true freshman who hadn’t had a chance yet to show what he could do.
If others had gotten injured i just wonder if he would have seen the field

You counter through the portal. That player has exhausted their freebie. They have to stay or lose a year unless they grad transfer.

Every coach make mistakes. We all know that. Using Tucker for your "coaches show favortism moment" isnt the flex you think it is. Starting him from the jump over veteran players that know the calls/protections would be favortism at the highest level. Every player has to earn it.

I know we talk about the players and cheer for them but as fans we are not obligated to know why players make the career moves they make.

Last edited:
Every coach make mistakes. We all know that. Using Tucker for your "coaches show favortism moment" isnt the flex you think it is. Starting him from the jump over veterans players that know the calls/protections would be favortism at the highest level. Every player has to earn it.

I know we talk about the players and cheer for them but as fans we are not obligated to know why players make the career moves they make.
We have all seen it throughout our playing days. I'm sure based on your post that this is a very difficult decision for him, and I hope that it works out well for his family as it looks as though in this case his ability to transfer is a blessing.

I find it hilarious that people think they know the NIL value of players, as if there were a market structure in place. Right now, it's the wild west out there. Carter and Chestnut might find gold, but they might find pyrite instead.

I find it hilarious that people think they know the NIL value of players, as if there were a market structure in place. Right now, it's the wild west out there. Carter and Chestnut might find gold, but they might find pyrite instead.
I think if they find pyrite, we have a good chance they're coming back.

This is why some college coaches are adding GM to their titles.

It’s NFL type of assessments.

It’s hard to see how the players end up being treated less like widgets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom