DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State

How do you know his family is barely surviving? That is so condescending to assume someone is poor based on assumption. Just stupid post.
I watched almost all of the Mob podcasts. His family situation is in rough shape, I'd say nothing like the average Syracuse student. That said, Don McPherson told those guys the thing of true, long-lasting value they are getting is a Syracuse education, and that NIL is a bad idea and takes focus off of what is important... said from the view of experience.

I watched almost all of the Mob podcasts. His family situation is in rough shape, I'd say nothing like the average Syracuse student. That said, Don McPherson told those guys the thing of true, long-lasting value they are getting is a Syracuse education, and that NIL is a bad idea and takes focus off of what is important... said from the view of experience.
He can't finish his education at another school?

Anybody who really watched the conference this year knows he was better than honorable mention. I would go as far as saying he was one of, if not, the most improved player in the entire league. Plus he made huge game changing plays in our biggest game (Clemson). I went back and watched a condensed version of that game today and he was all over the place. Also, I know I said it before but he dropped an easy pick 6 against BC after making a great play on the ball. Playmakers like Cisco, Trill, Williams, and Carter don’t grow on trees, even at the highest level.
While I haven't read this entire thread, I'd have to say, maybe SU's HS recruiting hasn't been so awful after all, based on the comments here.

He can't finish his education at another school?
Don McPherson, like Felisha Legette-Jack, believes that Syracuse is a truly special place. You should watch the Mob podcast when McPherson was on there to know what I mean. Of course, McPherson was in the program at a time when Dick MacPherson was in charge, and they had an extraordinary experience. If you've ever met any of the players from that era, they'll tell you.

Last edited:
Don McPherson, like Felisha Legette-Jack, believe that Syracuse is a truly special place. You should watch the Mob podcast when McPherson was on there to know what I mean. Of course, McPherson was in the program at a time when Dick MacPherson was in charge, and they really were an extraordinary group. If you've ever met any of the players from that era, they'll tell you.
For sure it was a special time.

It was also 35 years ago.

The flip side of that is he becomes the starting safety for Ohio State, makes a significant NIL deal and due to Ohio States record and his performance he gets a shot at being a top 10 pick in his (Carters) mind. He isn’t going to Ohio State thinking he is on 3rd string. He is taking money now for his family and he is thinking he is positioned to jump in the draft. Say what you want, Ohio State visibility, playoff participantion and a chance to play on the big stage and significantly raise his draft status is all in his mindset.
Thought their starting safety was just a junior?

Thought their starting safety was just a junior?
Maybe the coaching staff believes he is declaring post playoffs? Maybe he hasn’t taken ownership of the position and the staff wants competition? Not sure. My post was just to present a mindset Carter may have based on the prior comments in this thread.

It won't kill the football program.

Because we're not the most resource rich on the block (ie, not the Yankees and Dodgers) we're going to have to find creative ways to compete.

But rest assured, there will be inefficiencies created by this new world, and smart programs will figure out how to make the rules creating these inefficiencies work for them.

There isn't a perfect correlation between throwing money at things and success. It's a loser's mentality to think otherwise.

The question is - how confident are we that we can be one of the smart programs?

I think we can be. So I'm less worried, and more fascinated to see, how it all plays out.

The basic question is this: How do we effectively compensate players - to get them and to keep them?

I look forward to seeing how "smart" can respond to what seems to me to be a fairly simple question.

The basic question is this: How do we effectively compensate players - to get them and to keep them?

I look forward to seeing how "smart" can respond to what seems to me to be a fairly simple question.
I think the reach out has to be to the 10-15 biggest companies (Micron, Wegmans, InBev, JMA, etc.) and some successful former athletes. Find a way to make the donations to a “collective NIL trust” that works for NFPs doing PSAs, appearances, etc.
Maybe they can get a tax break if it all goes to helping NFPs. Ask the former athletes to do a commercial spot for the contributors.
Good sports is a boon to the local economy.
I don’t know how we get $10M a year, which is probably only enough to play in the shallow end.

Last edited:

Me too!

I think the reach out has to be to the 10-15 biggest companies (Micron, Wegmans, InBev, JMA, etc.) and some successful former athletes. Find a way to make the donations to a “collective NIL trust” that works for NFPs doing PSAs, appearances, etc.
Maybe they can get a tax break if it all goes to helping NFPs. Ask the former athletes to do a commercial spot for the contributors.
Good sports is a boon to the local economy.
I don’t know how we get $10M a year, which is probably only enough to play in the shallow end.
Day from Ohio State said it would take $15 million a year to keep his roster together. It shouldn’t take SU half that much

Must have played enough for The Mob to have invited him.
sure...they knew who he is.

but i just don’t know how much his words are of value to them. Not saying it’s right or wrong.

Great post. I will add one more thing. The ncaa and its member institutions could have tried to come up with something different but they didn’t. They could have come up with some trust formulation where players share in revenue and get shares in the trust the longer they stay in college. Theres more that could have been tried before opening up the players to the underbelly of college sports. Maybe what I am suggesting wouldn’t work but to me, the schools created something that is essentially impossible to regulate.
Personally they were way too little, too late for their stipend idea (2015)which could have been a game changer if it was formulated well and they agreed upon equitable amounts for ALL NCAA FBS members. They could have even stepped up the amounts dependent on academic year - all freshman for example $10k, sophomores $20k,Juniors $30, Senior and grad $50. The specific amounts are just an example. I’d also like to see a $3500 or so transportation allowance to enable each family to visit and see their child, grandchild etc play.

I think even more important is the health insurance component. Parents are supposed to guarantee health insurance for their student athlete last I heard. The NCAA offers a catastrophic health insurance policy for only those costs above $90,000 since that’s the deductible. Colleges aren’t required to cover the deductible, thus the necessity for parents to cover with their own health insurance that can also have deductibles, extra out of network costs, treatment restrictions etc. The NCAA should absolutely cover these costs. Some colleges will cover it but it’s not a requirement, only optional. SU for all I know may cover the difference since there’s no transparency for which colleges opt to cover or if it’s on a case by case basis. Students and even some parents may underestimate the value of this benefit unfortunately until they need it.

Just my opinion but if these additional equitable changes had been enacted, I would be much more comfortable that the players were getting a fair shake and all this stuff we’re seeing would be unnecessary. Cheaters are going to cheat regardless but with the current setup it’s encouraged even more. They could have addressed it but never did.

Personally they were way too little, too late for their stipend idea (2015)which could have been a game changer if it was formulated well and they agreed upon equitable amounts for ALL NCAA FBS members. They could have even stepped up the amounts dependent on academic year - all freshman for example $10k, sophomores $20k,Juniors $30, Senior and grad $50. The specific amounts are just an example. I’d also like to see a $3500 or so transportation allowance to enable each family to visit and see their child, grandchild etc play.

I think even more important is the health insurance component. Parents are supposed to guarantee health insurance for their student athlete last I heard. The NCAA offers a catastrophic health insurance policy for only those costs above $90,000 since that’s the deductible. Colleges aren’t required to cover the deductible, thus the necessity for parents to cover with their own health insurance that can also have deductibles, extra out of network costs, treatment restrictions etc. The NCAA should absolutely cover these costs. Some colleges will cover it but it’s not a requirement, only optional. SU for all I know may cover the difference since there’s no transparency for which colleges opt to cover or if it’s on a case by case basis. Students and even some parents may underestimate the value of this benefit unfortunately until they need it.

Just my opinion but if these additional equitable changes had been enacted, I would be much more comfortable that the players were getting a fair shake and all this stuff we’re seeing would be unnecessary. Cheaters are going to cheat regardless but with the current setup it’s encouraged even more. They could have addressed it but never did.
I think the stipend thing is a good idea, especially the way you laid it out, but it would have had profound negative impacts on American higher education as a whole. That whole motion of money going direct from school to player is fraught.

It's insane to me that part of the scholarship package for a student-athlete isn't insurance though. That's always been insane.

I think the stipend thing is a good idea, especially the way you laid it out, but it would have had profound negative impacts on American higher education as a whole. That whole motion of money going direct from school to player is fraught.

It's insane to me that part of the scholarship package for a student-athlete isn't insurance though. That's always been insane.
They have been currently getting stipends since 2015. Doesn’t seem to have effected much so far that I’ve heard.

This sounds like Ohio st DB's are the ones to be worried.
I have no doubt he could very easily beat out some Ohio St starters. My point is are you willing to risk the chance to go in there and beat out a past starter? I obviously think very highly of his skills. There are just a lot of variables when you transfer, like loyalty to present starters that got you to the final 4, kids you’re more familiar with therefore having more trust, and kids you recruited out of HS , etc.

Watching the Duke vs UCF bowl game and announcer just stated that Duke has not had one player enter the portal.
Just thought that is amazing in the times we are living in.
It’s probably because they are all getting well compensated already. I’m sure Duke has a healthy collective.

If my family was struggling, and I could cash in elsewhere immediately, while the best my current institution can do for me is "you can get a job someday thanks to your degree", I too would transfer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom