DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State

I didn’t think Carter was an Ohio State level target, but if so, good for him.

Question though, are we planning to counter? If not, why not? Is it because we can’t afford to or because we don’t think he’s worth the going rate?

Did we decide that there was better value in the safeties who transferred in?

I feel like there’s so much we don’t know about this whole fascinating process.
Or, perhaps, it’s because he doesn’t want to be in Syracuse anymore.

The basic question is this: How do we effectively compensate players - to get them and to keep them?

I look forward to seeing how "smart" can respond to what seems to me to be a fairly simple question.
I swore I saw someone say that Wildhack had a say who gets NIL deals , which I believe is absolutely what is not supposed to happen?

What I would do is combine our collectives and do what every other school is doing. Use the enormous amount of TV money for facility upgrades and use private donor money and not target HS kids, but kids you have developed like Shrader, Wax, Tucker, Jones, Carter, Duce, Linton, etc.

I have no doubt he could very easily beat out some Ohio St starters. My point is are you willing to risk the chance to go in there and beat out a past starter? I obviously think very highly of his skills. There are just a lot of variables when you transfer, like loyalty to present starters that got you to the final 4, kids you’re more familiar with therefore having more trust, and kids you recruited out of HS , etc.
Yes he is willing to. There are risks staying and going. He should feel high about his abilities. Loyalty to his team mates and fans are out the door. We have to get used to it. Its happening at the lower levels. We have to recruit kids stay at our school each year and this is public HS's. Thats all this generation knows. Its nuts.

Yes he is willing to. There are risks staying and going. He should feel high about his abilities. Loyalty to his team mates and fans are out the door. We have to get used to it. Its happening at the lower levels. We have to recruit kids stay at our school each year and this is public HS's. Thats all this generation knows. Its nuts.
I absolutely realize that. I hope it works out for him, but it also gives me much more appreciation for guys like Mikel, Tuck, Wax, GW, who I assume could have “upgraded”.

I absolutely realize that. I hope it works out for him, but it also gives me much more appreciation for guys like Mikel, Tuck, Wax, GW, who I assume could have “upgraded”.
I agree but Mikel G Willams and Tuck were appraoched with NIL deals by other teams. They just didnt stay for loyalty to their team mates. I wish that was the case. Every player has different situations

Last edited:
I actually love this about Gen Z.

That generation realized everyone was playing a stupid game with stupid rules, and the rules were massively skewed against them.

So little by little, through powers in number and collective action, they're changing the rules.

This is partly why I've always said that NIL was bigger than fandom. It's actually about an individual's rights to benefit from their own identity and reality as a living person.

People have value. Historically, institutions like the NCAA have robbed people of that value. Sure, there was some compensation. But it wasn't a fair deal.

Gen Z is changing that.

God love 'em for it, I know I do.

That generation realized everyone was playing a stupid game with stupid rules, and the rules were massively skewed against them.

So little by little, through powers in number and collective action, they're changing the rules.

This is partly why I've always said that NIL was bigger than fandom. It's actually about an individual's rights to benefit from their own identity and reality as a living person.

People have value. Historically, institutions like the NCAA have robbed people of that value. Sure, there was some compensation. But it wasn't a fair deal.

Gen Z is changing that.

I dont disagree. Some people are just uncomfortable with change. At the HS level players/parents are putting their kids in the best possible situation more and more. The old days you most likely played HS ball with kids you grew up with in your town. You were forced to play for a particular coach. Now some of them are leaving for preps schools, transferring to private/charter schools with kids they played club, 7v7 or AAU with.

I swore I saw someone say that Wildhack had a say who gets NIL deals , which I believe is absolutely what is not supposed to happen?

What I would do is combine our collectives and do what every other school is doing. Use the enormous amount of TV money for facility upgrades and use private donor money and not target HS kids, but kids you have developed like Shrader, Wax, Tucker, Jones, Carter, Duce, Linton, etc.

Never heard JW say anything like that. He did say he prefers NIL go to retaining players vs recruits.

If my family was struggling, and I could cash in elsewhere immediately, while the best my current institution can do for me is "you can get a job someday thanks to your degree", I too would transfer.

I have no idea how much but I’d be willing to bet that he was one of the dozen who got NIL this season.

Gen Z is changing that.

So if college sports implode is it the Gen Z that we blame? Think I always wondered is if athletes felt so used by colleges and the NCAA then why did they go to college and feed the problem?

I didn’t think Carter was an Ohio State level target, but if so, good for him.

Question though, are we planning to counter? If not, why not? Is it because we can’t afford to or because we don’t think he’s worth the going rate?

Did we decide that there was better value in the safeties who transferred in?

I feel like there’s so much we don’t know about this whole fascinating process.
Great question regarding the counter.

The NIL guidelines seem to suggest that NIL is not to be used in concert with the program's desires.

Wish we had a NIL expert here to explain.

If you listened to the Mob Podcast you would know what his family situation is like. I hope he gets a lucrative NIL offer and helps out his family. He's a fantastic person.
Hey. Which Mob Podcast should I listen to ?

I think at a high level, it works like this…

SUAD works with the big donors to get a budget for money available for player retention.

The head coach works with the players to get ball park numbers needed for retention.

And then the head coach decides how to best spend the money available.

The donors might earmark the money they will make available specifically for player retention or for player acquisition. I believe there is or soon will be a budget for player acquisition and a similar process. But as I understand things, the initial focus has been on retention.

I think the SUAD is just trying to make sure the spending that is done is aligned with what the coaching staff wants. Them being in the loop helps ensure we remain compliant with NCAA rules as well. There needs to be someone between the donors and the players to maintain some sense of order here. I like what SUAD is doing and wish more athletic departments were handling things like this.

So if college sports implode is it the Gen Z that we blame? Think I always wondered is if athletes felt so used by colleges and the NCAA then why did they go to college and feed the problem?
As long as $$$ is being made, college sports is going no where. The next step, to reduce costs, is get rid of gender specific teams. One basketball team, one lacrosse team, one field hockey team. There would have to be a challenge to Title IX which requires rewards which are gender based. Gets rid of the transgender issue as well.

The University has to be prudent with how they use the collective money. If we counter for Carter, how does that effect everyone else? Do you then have to adjust for everyone else? Do you give Carter more than your quarterback? It’s a complicated ordeal.

Why? There was/is no other route to go. Especially for football.

That’s why. What other choice do/did they have if they want to play football that’s a realistic choice?

The NCAA and the member institutions had decades to find a viable solution. They chose not to.

Also, nothing is imploding. It’s changing. Massive difference. But the money is still rolling in.

I agree but Mikel G Willams and Tuck were appraoched with NIL deals by other teams. They just didnt stay for loyalty to their team mates. I wish that was the case. Every player has different situations

The only item I’d bolt on to your statement is that *a lot* of players going back *years and years* do not feel like the university has given back what they give to the university.

Before the portal. Before NIL.

Why? There was/is no other route to go. Especially for football.

That’s why. What other choice do/did they have if they want to play football that’s a realistic choice?

The NCAA and the member institutions had decades to find a viable solution. They chose not to.

Also, nothing is imploding. It’s changing. Massive difference. But the money is still rolling in.
Have you heard of a speculative bubble ? Like all bubbles, it will eventually burst. The aftermath is awful for all but a few.

The only item I’d bolt on to your statement is that *a lot* of players going back *years and years* do not feel like the university has given back what they give to the university.

Before the portal. Before NIL.
I can imagine.

I think some other folks provided good answers to these questions, but, this is what I'm saying - the meaning behind NIL is bigger than fandom and bigger than college sports.

So, yes, if that gets right and it comes at the expense of college athletics, well, that was just the debt that was due.

I think at a high level, it works like this…

SUAD works with the big donors to get a budget for money available for player retention.

The head coach works with the players to get ball park numbers needed for retention.

And then the head coach decides how to best spend the money available.

The donors might earmark the money they will make available specifically for player retention or for player acquisition. I believe there is or soon will be a budget for player acquisition and a similar process. But as I understand things, the initial focus has been on retention.

I think the SUAD is just trying to make sure the spending that is done is aligned with what the coaching staff wants. Them being in the loop helps ensure we remain compliant with NCAA rules as well. There needs to be someone between the donors and the players to maintain some sense of order here. I like what SUAD is doing and wish more athletic departments were handling things like this.
I figure why hamstring ourselves following the rules when the factories aren't. Let's get in the mud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom