DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State

Yea but it’s not like Syracuse is offering peanuts to their star upperclassman we give NIL deals to. Hate to talk for the kid, but with the amount we give kids like Mikel, Tucker, Marlowe, etc he would have got more than enough to get by another year. Let’s just call it what it is. He rolled the dice for a bit more money when he was already set up in 1 more year.

Exactly. We’re not talking about millions more to go to Ohio State…

Sad to see.

Unfortunately he will become a lesson for future athletes at Syracuse

There are going to be a lot of these stories from these first few years of the portal, sadly.

Things will start regressing to the mean, where the grass isn't always greener and kids see that maybe transferring will hurt them, especially if PT isn't guaranteed. But until these kids see enough of these negative examples, things like this (and duce, and others) will continue to happen.

There are going to be a lot of these stories from these first few years of the portal, sadly.

Things will start regressing to the mean, where the grass isn't always greener and kids see that maybe transferring will hurt them, especially if PT isn't guaranteed. But until these kids see enough of these negative examples, things like this (and duce, and others) will continue to happen.
I wonder how much it will regress. I think most guys think, "That won't happen to me. I'm better than he was." It's kind of how the #1 rated QB will sign with the same school that landed last year's #1 QB.

Exactly. We’re not talking about millions more to go to Ohio State…

Sad to see.

Unfortunately he will become a lesson for future athletes at Syracuse
If you look at a guy like McCord, for example, he had to wait until his JR year to play any significant minutes at OSU. The challenge with schools like LSU or OSU other high end B1G or SEC programs is that if they do have a roster gap, they don't usually just bring in one portal kid to cover it. They overkill it and bring in ready to play HS'ers as well. They don't have the luxury of time, and it makes it that much more difficult for a guy coming in to win minutes. When Duce transferred down to LSU, I'm pretty sure they brought in 2 more CB's from the portal after he committed lol

Almost the same comments that Tom Brady made on it.

Said the level of NFL play is drastically decreased by the portal because none of the players have continuity anymore and it’s killing their development.

This needs to be looked at and rectified as it’s hindering young adults careers
I don't think going back to the way it was is the answer (and not saying you're making that point). The system before allowed very little movement and forced players into situations that didn't allow for development either. For every player trying to move up a notch and not making it (Carter, Deuce) there's countless players who moved down and have played more. This doesn't even include off the field reasons for transferring that can lead to better human development.

I don't think going back to the way it was is the answer (and not saying you're making that point). The system before allowed very little movement and forced players into situations that didn't allow for development either. For every player trying to move up a notch and not making it (Carter, Deuce) there's countless players who moved down and have played more. This doesn't even include off the field reasons for transferring that can lead to better human development.

Old system definitely isn’t it

New system isn’t it eithet

Need to find something in the middle

Yea but it’s not like Syracuse is offering peanuts to their star upperclassman we give NIL deals to. Hate to talk for the kid, but with the amount we give kids like Mikel, Tucker, Marlowe, etc he would have got more than enough to get by another year. Let’s just call it what it is. He rolled the dice for a bit more money when he was already set up in 1 more year.
Fair point, hopefully between him and Duce, current players will realize staying at SU might just be the way to go

There are also a lot of players that landed nowhere after entering the portal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom