DB Ja'Had Carter in the portal from Ohio State | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

DB Ja'Had Carter in the portal from Ohio State

As much as some hate NIL, it's also the peak of earning potential for a lot of players (hopefully not Carter, hope he's NFL) so if they can maximize now they should do it because that window is small.
Then just build a pay scale...end this no loyalty friggin free for all. Players will become a commodity...if a kid doesn't perform cut their ass. This is where we are.

Have cuts and practice squads...Don't even have to enroll. NFL AAA...yippee

Then just build a pay scale...end this no loyalty friggin free for all. Players will become a commodity...if a kid doesn't perform cut their ass. This is where we are.

Have cuts and practice squads...Don't even have to enroll. NFL AAA...yippee
Yeah, how long before there's a full divorce between the academic side and the athletic side of "college sports"?
I think it will start with limited "academic waivers" granted to the usual suspects (OSU) before it becomes widespread. The first star recruit to be ruled academically ineligible will be the test case.

Yeah, how long before there's a full divorce between the academic side and the athletic side of "college sports"?
I think it will start with limited "academic waivers" granted to the usual suspects (OSU) before it becomes widespread. The first star recruit to be ruled academically ineligible will be the test case.
Academic advancement already isn't a necessity in the SEC.
Have you ever heard of a star player in the SEC being suspended for academics?

The University of Michigan athletic department became a separate corporation a long time ago.

Talked to Jahad for a minute last night

No doubt this kid loves Cuse

Think going to Ohio State for $$$ is hurting him as much as it has hurt us.

He’s an awesome kid, wish there would have been a way to figure out a way to get him more money at Cuse and he would have never left

The University of Michigan athletic department became a separate corporation a long time ago.

If only the school didn't pilfer from the AD during the Shaw years.

Then we possibly would have avoided the Gross era

He’s an awesome kid, wish there would have been a way to figure out a way to get him more money at Cuse and he would have never left
Says a lot he was there. Thanks for the feedback. It does seem like Dino builds a special group of guys. I thought I saw Garrett Williams on field pre game working with the DBs too.

Time for the Fine Mess to do some Fine Tampering and get him back home.

2nd Team at Ohio State got better NIL than starting at Cuse ;)
Hopefully the NIL is worth the risk of going somewhere and not starting otherwise some of these decisions could be short sighted. I would say he certainly was projecting towards a easy NFL draft pick after this year. Say things don’t work out and he doesn’t play as much as he thought. Is the quick money short term worth the risk of losing more money long term? I mean it’s not like Syracuse wasn’t coming in with an NIL offer so it would have at least lifted a burden. I think he just wanted to play at Ohio St.

Hopefully the NIL is worth the risk of going somewhere and not starting otherwise some of these decisions could be short sighted. I would say he certainly was projecting towards a easy NFL draft pick after this year. Say things don’t work out and he doesn’t play as much as he thought. Is the quick money short term worth the risk of losing more money long term? I mean it’s not like Syracuse wasn’t coming in with an NIL offer so it would have at least lifted a burden. I think he just wanted to play at Ohio St.
Based on his family's situation he opted for the most money. Im sure he was confident he would win the starting position at Ohio State and actually increase his draft status.

Will always have love for Jahad Carter. Met him at the spring game last year, he was so kind and enthusiastic with my kids, my son asked him for his autograph and he was like "OK, what you got for me to sign? You don't have a poster or anything like the other kids..." You could see my son's spirit kind of sink as he realized he didn't really think things out. Jahad was like "It's cool little man, I'll sign your jersey." My son lit up like a light bulb and was like "OK, yeah!"

That was the only signature he asked for the rest of the night and when we got home he immediately asked me to help him hang it on the wall in his room. I've been bringing him to games since he could walk and he's got all kinds of SU memorabilia. I've even given him an old poster that I found with a ton of autographs with some of the greats that I posted on here a while back. If you ask him what his favorite SU thing is he will point to that jersey hanging on his wall.

When the news broke that Carter had announced that he was transferring to Ohio State, my son found out right away and asked me if I had heard. I could tell he was really upset and really didn't like the idea of Jahad playing for a different team. He couldn't make sense of it and I tried to explain the realities of being a young man and NIL and all the rest. I tried explaining that it didn't necessarily mean Jahad didn't like SU or didn't like playing at Syracuse, but he had to do what he thought was best for him and he owed it to himself to try and give himself the best opportunity to succeed in life. We can't fault him for that, only wish him well on his journey. He looked at me and I could just see he didn't understand. I said to him "look buddy, just because Jahad is going to play for Ohio State doesn't mean that we have to stop being Jahad Carter fans. I mean, let's say Jahad stayed at SU and then went to the NFL, it's not like we wouldn't see him on TV and still root for him because he's one of our favorite players, right?" He perked up and was like "So, we're going to try to watch Ohio State games now, so we can watch Jahad?" And I said "And cheer for him, yeah".

My son's attachment aside, what I always saw with Jahad that I generally love and admire in a football player is that he went all in. At the highest levels of football the athleticism on the field is so extreme that there is a real and tangible price that players pay in order to compete playing the game. There is a kind of calculation that you can watch play out in real time when you watch the game, and it's the players calculating the price that they are willing to pay to make a given play. A really violent collision can often change this calculus for a player and usually lowers the price they are willing to pay, as you can pay so high a price that it compromises your ability to play. Then there are players who are pure competitors. They are willing to pay any price to win. That's what I saw when I watched Jahad play. He didn't care what it took, he was going to beat you, he was going to impose his will on you and leave no doubt as to who the better player was. That's a football player and I'll always be fan.

Best of luck to you JC! Always represent.

Will always have love for Jahad Carter. Met him at the spring game last year, he was so kind and enthusiastic with my kids, my son asked him for his autograph and he was like "OK, what you got for me to sign? You don't have a poster or anything like the other kids..." You could see my son's spirit kind of sink as he realized he didn't really think things out. Jahad was like "It's cool little man, I'll sign your jersey." My son lit up like a light bulb and was like "OK, yeah!"

That was the only signature he asked for the rest of the night and when we got home he immediately asked me to help him hang it on the wall in his room. I've been bringing him to games since he could walk and he's got all kinds of SU memorabilia. I've even given him an old poster that I found with a ton of autographs with some of the greats that I posted on here a while back. If you ask him what his favorite SU thing is he will point to that jersey hanging on his wall.

When the news broke that Carter had announced that he was transferring to Ohio State, my son found out right away and asked me if I had heard. I could tell he was really upset and really didn't like the idea of Jahad playing for a different team. He couldn't make sense of it and I tried to explain the realities of being a young man and NIL and all the rest. I tried explaining that it didn't necessarily mean Jahad didn't like SU or didn't like playing at Syracuse, but he had to do what he thought was best for him and he owed it to himself to try and give himself the best opportunity to succeed in life. We can't fault him for that, only wish him well on his journey. He looked at me and I could just see he didn't understand. I said to him "look buddy, just because Jahad is going to play for Ohio State doesn't mean that we have to stop being Jahad Carter fans. I mean, let's say Jahad stayed at SU and then went to the NFL, it's not like we wouldn't see him on TV and still root for him because he's one of our favorite players, right?" He perked up and was like "So, we're going to try to watch Ohio State games now, so we can watch Jahad?" And I said "And cheer for him, yeah".

My son's attachment aside, what I always saw with Jahad that I generally love and admire in a football player is that he went all in. At the highest levels of football the athleticism on the field is so extreme that there is a real and tangible price that players pay in order to compete playing the game. There is a kind of calculation that you can watch play out in real time when you watch the game, and it's the players calculating the price that they are willing to pay to make a given play. A really violent collision can often change this calculus for a player and usually lowers the price they are willing to pay, as you can pay so high a price that it compromises your ability to play. Then there are players who are pure competitors. They are willing to pay any price to win. That's what I saw when I watched Jahad play. He didn't care what it took, he was going to beat you, he was going to impose his will on you and leave no doubt as to who the better player was. That's a football player and I'll always be fan.

Best of luck to you JC! Always represent.

This story doesn’t surprise me at all….

As said after taking to Jahad in the dome on Friday night (I mean what kid transfers to Ohio State and then come back for Syracuse’s spring game?), just think Jahad got offered A LOT of money and left.

He still has a ton and I mean a ton of love for Cuse.

I know also that Duce feels the same way..

As said after taking to Jahad in the dome on Friday night (I mean what kid transfers to Ohio State and then come back for Syracuse’s spring game?), just think Jahad got offered A LOT of money and left.

Both seem to be stand up people. This game is brutal. Im paying from old football injuries till this day. Get as much money as you can now because nothing is guaranteed tomorrow.

It speaks to Dinos strength as a program leader. Now that he has surrounded himself with solid coaches i think it is finally going to click

We have a huge NIL problem if kids that love SU feel they have no choice but to leave.

It speaks to Dinos strength as a program leader. Now that he has surrounded himself with solid coaches i think it is finally going to click

Yup I do know that Duce had asked Dino if he could play in the bowl game after he entered the portal

Dino, for obvious reasons, told him no.

And yes, that is coming from Duce himself when I spoke with him

But Duce really felt bad about not being able to go out and play in the pinstripe bowl….

NIL and the Portal sucks, but I do understand where these kids have to take advantage where and when they can

Maybe Ja'Had and Duce wanted to win a national championship and realized they couldn't do that here.
I would hope that they realized that if we were going to be a serious contender that we would certainly need them and the other leaders on the team to accomplish that. They were our main building blocks while here so I would believe that money had to be the main motivator for them to leave. They were and continue to be beloved here for even more than the talent they displayed on the field. That’s special for not just the fans but has to be special to them.

We have a huge NIL problem if kids that love SU feel they have no choice but to leave.

Well, we didn’t lose Sean Tucker and Mikel Jones to massive factory schools the previous year that had massive deals

So that tells you all you need to know.

However, if you think we have a massive problem, have you donated to 315 or to Fine Mess collective??

Both collectives are actively taking ANY donors they can get, large or small!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom