DC done for the year... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

DC done for the year...

Sorry not too familiar to the exact redshirting rules but I know Kevin ware was allowed to redshirt this year even with a couple appearances. Anyway dc could get this year back?

have to play in less than 25% of teams games for a medical redshirt = about 8 games coleman could have played in.

Sorry not too familiar to the exact redshirting rules but I know Kevin ware was allowed to redshirt this year even with a couple appearances. Anyway dc could get this year back?
I think the limit is appearances in 30% or fewer of total team games

Inevitably there will be "that game" where we could have used DC's bulk...oh well.

I guess the good news is that he will probably get a medical redshirt. Not sure they would have made such a definitive move had they not already investigated the possibility.

This hurts because I thought DC could help as a post-option against smaller teams, especially the way he gets on the boards. Not sure that Roberson offers a ton of help right now (does he have Boeheim's trust on defense?), so let's hope that Rak can continue his strong offensive play.

Inevitably there will be "that game" where we could have used DC's bulk...oh well.

I guess the good news is that he will probably get a medical redshirt. Not sure they would have made such a definitive move had they not already investigated the possibility.

dont think its a possibility.

Well...

Sh**.

I hate to speculate, but...his injury history, combined with the grind his body HAS to take from supporting his weight...I would not be surprised if his career is pretty much done at this point. He's going to have chronic problems from here on out, or so it seems.

I hope that's not the case, but this does not bode well.

Last edited:
30 may be correct.

I was going to post 25% until remembering that Devo got a redshirt after appearing in 10 of 35 games . . . maybe he won some kind of special appeal?

30 may be correct.

14.2.4 Hardship Waiver.
(c) In team sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution’s scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport.

We have 31 scheduled games this season. 30% rounded up would be 10 games. DC played in 13.

This hurts because I thought DC could help as a post-option against smaller teams, especially the way he gets on the boards. Not sure that Roberson offers a ton of help right now (does he have Boeheim's trust on defense?), so let's hope that Rak can continue his strong offensive play.

may not have the trust... but we may need some fouls in the tournament.

I'd rather never have to deal with a dashonte riley again. The good news about this happening now is Roberson can get quality mins before the tournament starts.

Did he play too much to redshirt?

If this ESPN article is correct, then he has played too much and cannot redshirt:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...le-cardinals-redshirt-chane-behanan-dismissed

"NCAA rules state that a player qualifies for a medical redshirt if he plays in fewer than 30 percent of his team's games."

We have 31 games scheduled, and 30% is 9.3 games. So 9 games would be fewer, 10 games would be more, than 30%.

Coleman has played in 13 games this year, which is more than 9.

If this ESPN article is correct, then he has played too much and cannot redshirt:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...le-cardinals-redshirt-chane-behanan-dismissed

"NCAA rules state that a player qualifies for a medical redshirt if he plays in fewer than 30 percent of his team's games."

We have 31 games scheduled, and 30% is 9.3 games. So 9 games would be fewer, 10 games would be more, than 30%.

Coleman has played in 13 games this year, which is more than 9.
we'll end up playing in more than 31 games though; get to the title games of both the ACCT and the NCAAT and it will be 40 games. Thirty percent of 40 is 12 . . . those garbage minutes he played vs. VT could end up costing him the ability to get a redshirt year.

Our biennial center jinx.. Happens every even-numbered year. Onuaku in 2010, Fab in 2012, DC in 2014.

I hope this doesn't hurt us recruiting a center for 2016.

we'll end up playing in more than 31 games though; get to the title games of both the ACCT and the NCAAT and it will be 40 games. Thirty percent of 40 is 12 . . . those garbage minutes he played vs. VT could end up costing him the ability to get a redshirt year.

Postseason games don't count. 31 regular season games. He's done.

This to me means two things one of which is almost now a lock.

First: Roberson is going to have to start getting 10 minutes a game, even if JB really doesnt want to. Were now one injury away from having one Center, The good news is Roberson is light years ahead of Dashonte Riley as a Frosh and we have seen flashes of his skills this year.

Two: Based on what I know about Syracuse sports and injuries today's announcement all but guarantees that in either the second game of the tourney or Sweet 16 both Keita and Rak will have foul trouble or some type of minor injury that forces us to play Grant or Roberson as an emergency 5, write it down now.

Postseason games don't count. 31 regular season games. He's done.
they counted in Devo's case . . . he played in 10 of 35 including the 4 post season games. 10 of 31 would have been too many.

It's nice to know that we can still beat the most physical teams in the country without Coleman.

Drama? Good lord. Every team has injuries.

I was thinking about JS last year and academics. The DC doesn't hurt as much although I can imagine how much DC is disappointed. You know what they say, "If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger."