DCII update from Donna D | Syracusefan.com

DCII update from Donna D

If DC2 plays this season it would mean partial loss of 3 seasons thus far. I feel for the kid and I would guess its on him to decide weather or not to take a red-shirt if he is cleared. We could certainly use his enthusiasm if nothing else.

Coleman participates in most of SU's practices these days. He has shed the bulky brace he wore last week and is able, during drills, to explode to the rim and dunk. His lateral movement looks improved.

That is great news and would mean he could really help us.

we need shooters though...i almost feel like we should save him for next year.

Although, the thought of having potentially Rak, Coleman and McCollough on the floor at the same time might be the most dominant in the nation. I know , i know.. McC isnt a 3...but he could do it.

Anyone ever think that Coleman might not want to stay 5 years. His NBA prospects seem slim right now, but I would imagine that with summer school, he's got to be tracking towards graduating in 4 years, and maybe he'd rather move on and get paid instead of doing a grad degree?

If he's healthy, I don't see him sitting this year.

Although, the thought of having potentially Rak, Coleman and McCollough on the floor at the same time might be the most dominant in the nation. I know , i know.. McC isnt a 3...but he could do it.

That would be interesting but DC2 and Rak are both post up players which would be my worry about it working more than Chris at the 3 where he has enough game to play away from the basket. Rak and DC2 are not going to play away from the basket so on offense they become a bit redundant IMO. Where I really feel DC2 would help is being the backup center even if just for 10-12 minutes a game. The offense wouldn't have to change because you are swapping 1 post player for another and both guys could play hard without a ton of worry about fatigue or foul trouble. It also keeps Chris out of the middle on D where not only does he struggle but the whole D does. Chris can worry about just learning to play on the wing and it allows him some actually extra rest provided Tyler stays healthy and active. Going small with BJ/Mike at the 3 and Chris on the bench isn't nearly as small with DC2 or Rak manning the middle and Tyler at the 4.

Anyone ever think that Coleman might not want to stay 5 years. His NBA prospects seem slim right now, but I would imagine that with summer school, he's got to be tracking towards graduating in 4 years, and maybe he'd rather move on and get paid instead of doing a grad degree?

A lot of ways to look at it but it may be in his best interest to play this season even if SU may gain more long term by redshirting him. Hard to say but if I was DC2 I'd want to play if I was 100% cleared because I'd want to know sooner than later if the knee was going to hold up plus there is an immediate need for him now which is never a guarantee going forward. That said I would hope that whatever happens its put into DC2 and his families hands to do what they feel is in his best interest.

A lot of ways to look at it but it may be in his best interest to play this season even if SU may gain more long term by redshirting him. Hard to say but if I was DC2 I'd want to play if I was 100% cleared because I'd want to know sooner than later if the knee was going to hold up plus there is an immediate need for him now which is never a guarantee going forward. That said I would hope that whatever happens its put into DC2 and his families hands to do what they feel is in his best interest.

I'm sure he wants to play, but that's not the issue.

It's interesting to think about adding him to an already good frontcourt of Christmas, McCullough and Roberson (if what he showed Sunday can be the real deal), but I don't think the incremental gain would be worth it given the limited upside of this year's team.

I'm sure he wants to play, but that's not the issue.

It's interesting to think about adding him to an already good frontcourt of Christmas, McCullough and Roberson (if what he showed Sunday can be the real deal), but I don't think the incremental gain would be worth it given the limited upside of this year's team.

Although I think we have more upside than many you kind of made my point for me. It may be in DC2's best interest to get out their and play this year but SU's best interest to redshirt him and keep him around another 2 seasons. Its not always best for the player to redshirt regardless of the lost time. Still none of us really know because honestly we aren't sure what he can provide other than energy and effort which was always a constant with him.

One thing to note is that DC2 coming back and having a considerable impact on the team also makes the NCCA committee look at our early season struggles a bit differently even if its more other players improving and DC2 just adding the depth we need these thing still can hold sway when it comes time for seeding.

I see a lot of Rak's offense coming on drives to the basket starting from 8-12 feet out.

That would be interesting but DC2 and Rak are both post up players which would be my worry about it working more than Chris at the 3 where he has enough game to play away from the basket. Rak and DC2 are not going to play away from the basket so on offense they become a bit redundant IMO. Where I really feel DC2 would help is being the backup center even if just for 10-12 minutes a game. The offense wouldn't have to change because you are swapping 1 post player for another and both guys could play hard without a ton of worry about fatigue or foul trouble. It also keeps Chris out of the middle on D where not only does he struggle but the whole D does. Chris can worry about just learning to play on the wing and it allows him some actually extra rest provided Tyler stays healthy and active. Going small with BJ/Mike at the 3 and Chris on the bench isn't nearly as small with DC2 or Rak manning the middle and Tyler at the 4.

Last edited:
They had to kick me out of school to get me to leave. I hope DC is enjoying his college experience and sticks around. If he can play 1/2 this year and then next that may be the most he can get out of his knee though.

Not having stretches where McCullough is forced to play the 5 and get abused in the paint could pay huge dividends for the team. If Coleman is able to play and be effective, I think the impact could be significant. I initially thought a redshirt was definitely the way to go, but I'm not so sure now.

If Bryant thinks he might be here two years (long shot), Coleman using up a year of eligibility could also have some influence on Bryant's decision; He'd have literally no worries about losing any time to another Center as a sophomore, regardless of whether or not he plays well.

They had to kick me out of school to get me to leave. I hope DC is enjoying his college experience and sticks around. If he can play 1/2 this year and then next that may be the most he can get out of his knee though.

I hear you there, but I didn't have the option of going abroad and making six figures to play basketball. Without any clue of his knee, you'd think he might want to get some money while he can, but that's just speculation on my part.

Christmas will make the NBA base don what he's doing in his senior year. Coleman could too. All it takes is one really good year.

I just wonder how much having to spend all these months in rehab has ed the development of his game. He had an awful lot to learn about playing at this level.

Christmas will make the NBA base don what he's doing in his senior year. Coleman could too. All it takes is one really good year.

I just wonder how much having to spend all these months in rehab has ed the development of his game. He had an awful lot to learn about playing at this level.

The NBA doesn't have a high demand for slow 6'9" guys who can't leave their feet or stay healthy.

Assuming he is physically able, after all this time and effort, DC2 has got to want to play so bad he can taste it. It would be his option to red shirt and I doubt seriously he would take it.

We would still have him next year.

Another thing to note is he can play and test out the knee and as long as he doesn't play more than 10 games could still redshirt.
thats teams 10 games not player 10 games..