DCII update from Donna D | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

DCII update from Donna D

Actually it is 30% of games and none of them can come in the second half of the season
hm ok, when does "second half" technically begin?

If I were DCII and I felt like I was healthy, I think I would play this year.

Looking at him as a player I don't think he is guaranteed any playing time. It isn't like were talking about a major contributor coming back from an injury. We are talking about a guy who didn't look all that great and consistently looked a step slow and didn't really execute the defense well. Will he be deserving of playing time over other guys??

Now if you look at the situation this season, we have a clear need for a backup C. At a minimum without having to prove much of anything there will probably be approx. 10 mpg available to him this season, just playing at a mediocre level. Obviously he could earn more time than that if he produces.

The time that he gets this year could spring board him to a starting role next season. If he sits out now landing that starting role the following season may be more difficult. He would be competing with Roberson, Diagne and Bryant (likely) for a starting role and at that point I would say they are all on relatively equal footing with him not having seen game time in over 1-1/2 seasons. If Bryant comes in and takes the starting role at C and Roberson is the PF and Johnson/MGB/Richardson are the SF, he could find himself in a position where he doesn't get great minutes next year or the year after.

Counting 31 regular season games (not sure if the ACC tourny counts, so I will assume not for sake of argument) that puts the 15th game as GT on Jan. 7th. So if he plays in a few games prior to then, and then its decided they want to use the redshirt I believe they could sit him for the rest of the season and that would give him a second year of eligibility.

when you've played in half your games?
oldshitcopy.png

Part of me wants him back this year, part of me wants him to come back next year.

I want him for two full years. He wasn't a finished product when he got hurt, and hes going to come back rusty. I'm sure its just as tough a decision for him and the coaches.

They had to kick me out of school to get me to leave. I hope DC is enjoying his college experience and sticks around. If he can play 1/2 this year and then next that may be the most he can get out of his knee though.
Which was more fun, your second Sophomore year, or your third?

Which was more fun, your second Sophomore year, or your third?
To be honest my sophomore and junior years are kind of a blur. But just so you know I actually graduated in 4 years (ok 4 plus a summer because I didn't take one of my required courses in the Spring because I didn't want to leave). I think I told my parents there was a scheduling conflict so I couldn't take it in the Spring.

If he's ready to play now, having him for the ACC schedule and those 18 games would be good for him and the team. If he can go and be effective I would like to see him play. if he's going to come back before he's really ready and won't get on the court then he should continue rehab. I'm sure he's itching to get out there and sees we don't have a back up center and wants to help this team.

I'm not sure he can afford a longer delay. He just turned 22 and needs to play to get back to the game, if that's what he wants. I hope he heals well before he gets back to playing regularly, but he needs the work. He's been out of things for a good while and needs an equal amount of time to rehab.

The NBA doesn't have a high demand for slow 6'9" guys who can't leave their feet or stay healthy.

And if he's still that, they won't have a demand for Coleman. I'm saying if he has a Christmas-like transformation in his senior year, that year would be enough to put him in the NBA. He doesn't have to hold back this year so he'll get 2 years to impress the NBA. If he never becomes an NBA caliber player, two years of not being one isn't going to help him.

"Right now," said Dr. Bradley Raphael, "his knee is exactly where I hoped it would be at this point."

He went on to say that, "It's sort of in the middle of his leg, roughly halfway up between his foot and his hip."

If DC2 plays this season it would mean partial loss of 3 seasons thus far. I feel for the kid and I would guess its on him to decide weather or not to take a red-shirt if he is cleared. We could certainly use his enthusiasm if nothing else.

If he red shirts this year he's going to be like 25 years when he's a senior.

"Right now," said Dr. Bradley Raphael, "his knee is exactly where I hoped it would be at this point."

He went on to say that, "It's sort of in the middle of his leg, roughly halfway up between his foot and his hip."

Doctor, it hurts when I play basketball.

paging brian piccolo. gayle sayers severely injured his knee 9 games in yet still played the next season in the days of caveman medicine and led the league in rushing .we all saw dajuan play and walk off the court last time we saw him.
i originally thought about 3 months tops given my internet degree.any doctors reading here please clue me in.
what's the hurt exactly? and why is it taking so long to heal in this day and age?

Last edited:
paging brian piccolo. gayle sayers severely injured 9 games in played the next season in the days of caveman medicine and led the league in rushing next season.we all saw dajuan walk off the court last time we saw him.
i originally thought about 3 months tops given my internet degree.any doctors reading here please clue me in.
what's the hurt exactly? and why is it taking so long to heal in this day and age?

"The procedure performed on Coleman is known as osteoarticular transfer system or OATS."

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/arthritis/g/oats.htm

I said all along it was meniscus issues. He's really going to have to be as lean as he can be to have any career at all. It's major surgery. And there is so much pressure on the points where the plugs are located. And they can still tear. He has a chance to have a basketball career but I think he should red shirt.

A00422F05.jpg

thanks dr. dave. i feel smarter. but still when i google OATS i see like 6 months recovery on the outside. what gives here?
i realize dajuan carries a lot of load bearing weight on that particular joint but still he is getting the best possible care afforded to anyone. please tell me in your informed opinion if indeed this is the normal recovery period for an athlete.
your post somewhat hints at the infamous unseen seinfeld movie. prognosis negative.

Last edited: