Class of 2022 - DE Jimmy Scott (NY) Verbal to Pitt | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 DE Jimmy Scott (NY) Verbal to Pitt

I've lived in Buffalo for over 18 years. People in Western New York barely know what Syracuse athletics is. It's absolutely head scratching. What's really a slap to the face is how many people in Syracuse cheer for the Bills, but Buffalonians barely pay attention to Syracuse, unless they have a kid on a sports travel team and have to go down the thruway every now and then.

Pittsburgh is absolutely more on their minds than Syracuse ...and Notre Dame football and the Yankees

Buffalo fans cheer for Bills, Sabres, and UB in that order
Yep and it's Bills, Sabres.........UB. You'll catch some bandwagon folks in March during the tourney but even then it's not that many. College sports just don't matter there. You're right that there is probably more ND fans then anything. I'm not sure if it's just that they've been on NBC forever kind of like how there are a good amount of Braves fans my age due to everyone having TBS in the 90s. Have to love the Notre Dame football, Duke basketball people...who have never attended a game at either place.

It's honestly a kind of weird place where college sports aren't a thing and NBA fans are few and far between too. Lots of Yankees though.

Yep and it's Bills, Sabres......UB. You'll catch some bandwagon folks in March during the tourney but even then it's not that many. College sports just don't matter there. You're right that there is probably more ND fans then anything. I'm not sure if it's just that they've been on NBC forever kind of like how there are a good amount of Braves fans my age due to everyone having TBS in the 90s. Have to love the Notre Dame football, Duke basketball people...who have never attended a game at either place.

It's honestly a kind of weird place where college sports aren't a thing and NBA fans are few and far between too. Lots of Yankees though.

Yeah most Buffalonians could not care less about college sports. I went to Tully's on Niagara Falls Blvd a few years back to watch an early season SU football game. The place was dead. College football was barely on any of the TVs. There was a group sitting near me that was doing a Sabres season ticket draft. No one cared about any of the football games on.

Yeah most Buffalonians could not care less about college sports. I went to Tully's on Niagara Falls Blvd a few years back to watch an early season SU football game. The place was dead. College football was barely on any of the TVs. There was a group sitting near me that was doing a Sabres season ticket draft. No one cared about any of the football games on.
Been there many times. Don't live very far from there

I've lived in Buffalo for over 18 years. People in Western New York barely know what Syracuse athletics is. It's absolutely head scratching. What's really a slap to the face is how many people in Syracuse cheer for the Bills, but Buffalonians barely pay attention to Syracuse, unless they have a kid on a sports travel team and have to go down the thruway every now and then.

Pittsburgh is absolutely more on their minds than Syracuse ...and Notre Dame football and the Yankees

Buffalo fans cheer for Bills, Sabres, and UB in that order
When I was at RIT in the early 90s (I grew up in Syracuse), I was surprised by the lack of interest in SU sports from classmates of mine from WNY. And that was when we were really good.

Like you said, up North it us all Pro teams. In GA, where I live now, CFB is a religion. My interests have changed as well. I can watch CFB all day, the NFL? Meh

Hi, I've been in Lockport for about 20 years now. Similar experience in going to Santoro's on Transit Rd. and having to just about beg them to put the SU football game on by my table.

Outside of re-hiring Doug Marrone who would it be? How does having deep SU ties help us? Just limits the hiring pool which is silly to do.
Things I have heard more so than anything and the complete lack of ties with old players. Heard him and ex players are going downhill fast

Things I have heard more so than anything and the complete lack of ties with old players. Heard him and ex players are going downhill fast
When you say him do you mean Dino or marrone?

Hi, I've been in Lockport for about 20 years now. Similar experience in going to Santoro's on Transit Rd. and having to just about beg them to put the SU football game on by my table.

I'm pretty sure the Santora's on Millersport was at one time the "official" game watching spot for the WNY SU Alumni Club. I went there once several years ago to watch a big game and there wasn't another SU fan in sight.

That would be a little surprising to me, the Lally donation article that came out last year made it seem like ADJW and Dino were making efforts to reconnect with football alumni after they were neglected by Gross.

So Pitt got two players rutgers wanted bad. lol. As far as SU I dont have an answer for you guys. Not sure why Scott and Copeland werent pursued. Not sure if the interest with Jimmy and SU was mutual or one sided. Maybe SU didnt go after him as hard as others so he eliminated them. Maybe SU liked their other DL targets more.
Over the last couple of seasons Pitt has had recruiting weekends where they really hit it out of the park with multiple verbals of wanted recruits

It is impressive

Over the last couple of seasons Pitt has had recruiting weekends where they really hit it out of the park with multiple verbals of wanted recruits

It is impressive
Yeah thats not a surprise. Wanny recruited very well there and they have always been able to get a few high end kids from their state along with some from Ohio NY and NJ.

Knowing both programs well, Pitt is way ahead of the Cuse with regards to football recruiting and it isn't even close. The talent they are recruiting grade in the high 80's, low 90's while SU is in the low to mid 80's and that has been the result since SU joined the ACC. Also, in regards to ACC football records since Cuse joined in 2013, the Orange stand at 19 - 37 (33.9% - lowest is WF at 33.8%) while Pitt is at 31 - 25 (55.3%). The Panthers facilities are slightly better even though they play off campus in an NFL stadium. Lastly, Pittsburgh PA is a great, vibrant city and is only getting better for I lived there for three years and loved the 'burg. Ohana only works so far with high school recruits and the Cuse needs to change its recruiting style especially in Western PA, OH and the NE.

Knowing both programs well, Pitt is way ahead of the Cuse with regards to football recruiting and it isn't even close. The talent they are recruiting grade in the high 80's, low 90's while SU is in the low to mid 80's and that has been the result since SU joined the ACC. Also, in regards to ACC football records since Cuse joined in 2013, the Orange stand at 19 - 37 (33.9% - lowest is WF at 33.8%) while Pitt is at 31 - 25 (55.3%). The Panthers facilities are slightly better even though they play off campus in an NFL stadium. Lastly, Pittsburgh PA is a great, vibrant city and is only getting better for I lived there for three years and loved the 'burg. Ohana only works so far with high school recruits and the Cuse needs to change its recruiting style especially in Western PA, OH and the NE.
Buffalo News article on Jimmy Scott. I sounds like SU was his first offer.

Respectfully, no. They are not way ahead and the've not had an average grade of high 80's/low 90's since they've been in the ACC. They have done more with the talent they have, even though some of that can be attributed to playing in an easier division. More times than not, they've finished near us in the ACC recruiting rankings.

Buffalo News article on Jimmy Scott. I sounds like SU was his first offer.

If you compare offers, Scott looks like the far better player.

But he camped all over the place to get his name out there. It is a really important factor. He also had a really well done highlight tape on Hudl. Rashard had no highlights out there until very recently (think they finally came out in late February).

I bet Rashard didn’t go to any camps. Sure haven’t read about him attending any.

And Jimmy went to a fancy private school that plays other fancy private schools with big money, where all the games are filmed and the film is made available for creation of fancy Hudl highlight packages for every player with a pulse.

Rashard went to a HS in the inner city in Buffalo with a tiny budget and little support from the community. I suspect the only reason there is any film for him is because Bennett made a historic run to the state finals in the Dome, where a bunch of playoff games were televised.

I bet the staff at Bennett is half the size of the staff at St Francis and the Bennett coaches make less than half what the coaches make at St Francis.

So while Jimmy had many more offers than Rashard, and perhaps some were more prestigious, if you look at production on the field, looks look very different.

23 sacks to 5 sacks. 123 tackles? (I know it was over 120) to 43.

It will be interesting to see who ends up being the better player in college. Not to denigrate Jimmy, who I like and suspect is eventually going to be a fine college player. But I have my money on Rashard.

If you compare offers, Scott looks like the far better player.

But he camped all over the place to get his name out there. It is a really important factor. He also had a really well done highlight tape on Hudl. Rashard had no highlights out there until very recently (think they finally came out in late February).

I bet Rashard didn’t go to any camps. Sure haven’t read about him attending any.

And Jimmy went to a fancy private school that plays other fancy private schools with big money, where all the games are filmed and the film is made available for creation of fancy Hudl highlight packages for every player with a pulse.

Rashard went to a HS in the inner city in Buffalo with a tiny budget and little support from the community. I suspect the only reason there is any film for him is because Bennett made a historic run to the state finals in the Dome, where a bunch of playoff games were televised.

I bet the staff at Bennett is half the size of the staff at St Francis and the Bennett coaches make less than half what the coaches make at St Francis.

So while Jimmy had many more offers than Rashard, and perhaps some were more prestigious, if you look at production on the field, looks look very different.

23 sacks to 5 sacks. 123 tackles? (I know it was over 120) to 43.

It will be interesting to see who ends up being the better player in college. Not to denigrate Jimmy, who I like and suspect is eventually going to be a fine college player. But I have my money on Rashard.
Rashad Perry camped at Florida last year.
From the Buffalo News article.

Rashard was selected as one of the top linemen at the Florida Gators camp during the summer. It was there where special assistant to the Gators, former Syracuse coach Paul Pasqualoni, pulled him to the side and taught Perry the windshield wiper/sweep technique.