Class of 2019 - DE/TE Steven Linton (GA) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 2/6/19 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 DE/TE Steven Linton (GA) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 2/6/19

Nope, we're going to be thin at DE after this season, need to get guys like this into the S&C program.

Should feel pretty good about this one too.

Great news -- this kid reminds me a LOT of McKinley Williams.

I know this kid has talent and hope he signs with Syracuse and excels. But I have a hard time getting too excited over a DE that is listed at 195 lbs. I just don't like the additional risk that this kid may not put on the required weight he'll need to play at DE. Hopefully the staff has a good idea what his genes are like. I'd be asking all sorts of questions to mom and dad about what age were at whatever weight. So can I see your photos from when you were 18...how about 20?

That said the kid does look to have great upside and probably is worth that risk.

I know this kid has talent and hope he signs with Syracuse and excels. But I have a hard time getting too excited over a DE that is listed at 195 lbs. I just don't like the additional risk that this kid may not put on the required weight he'll need to play at DE. Hopefully the staff has a good idea what his genes are like. I'd be asking all sorts of questions to mom and dad about what age were at whatever weight. So can I see your photos from when you were 18...how about 20?
If it makes you feel better, he is listed at 204 by ESPN and 210 by Rivals. Though he still lists himself at 195 in his HUDL video.

He’d be 205 by the time he’s to campus. Has over a year to put on 30 or so pounds of muscle. He wouldnt be expected to play until sophomore year

Worried about Fagan-itis?

Great news -- this kid reminds me a LOT of McKinley Williams.
I was think more along the lines of Chandler Jones (but with more offers)... recruited as a TE/DE, long, lean frame.

He’d be 205 by the time he’s to campus. Has over a year to put on 30 or so pounds of muscle. He wouldnt be expected to play until sophomore year
You say that like it will be an easy and likely task. Its not. It is very difficult for a 200 pound kid to put on anywhere near 30 pounds of muscle in a short period of time.

You say that like it will be an easy and likely task. Its not. It is very difficult for a 200 pound kid to put on anywhere near 30 pounds of muscle in a short period of time.
Over a year is a short period of time?

Over a year is a short period of time?
Yes. I don't think it is very likely he can put on enough weight by his RS Freshman year. I guess by the time he is a RS Soph he could be at a good weight from a rush DE stand point. We are looking at guys quite a bit earlier in the cycle than we used to so I guess that does factor in some. Plus the kid does look pretty strong for being only 195 lbs. Its just a bit of a risk is all. I do think he looks very talented though.

It's a bit of a hit or miss. You have plenty of guys who do it and plenty of guys who can't do it- Nadarius Fagan, Kendall Moore, Jake Pickard to name a recent few who couldn't

If it makes you feel better, he is listed at 204 by ESPN and 210 by Rivals. Though he still lists himself at 195 in his HUDL video.
But if he is now really 205 or 210 that does raise my optimism. Considering he seems to have gotten some additional good offers somewhat recently i'm guessing those updates may be more accurate.

Remains to be seen. I never lifted weights in high school, but once I got to college, my coaches told me I had to put on 30 pounds. So I put on 45.
An you're the board mathmatician!? :rolleyes:

Honestly i think we are so strong at d end and it seems like tight end is not a s e xy role in this offense that I am kinda
View attachment 150655

I have to disagree. We may be set next year at DE, but the year after we are going to need some guys. Give an athlete kid like this a year in the S&C program and we will be really happy if we can win this battle. Linton is on the top of my remaining wish list.

U kinda have to know this is the lifting coaches job to figure what he can and can’t gain.