Class of 2019 - DE/TE Steven Linton (GA) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 2/6/19 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 DE/TE Steven Linton (GA) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 2/6/19

I know this kid has talent and hope he signs with Syracuse and excels. But I have a hard time getting too excited over a DE that is listed at 195 lbs. I just don't like the additional risk that this kid may not put on the required weight he'll need to play at DE. Hopefully the staff has a good idea what his genes are like. I'd be asking all sorts of questions to mom and dad about what age were at whatever weight. So can I see your photos from when you were 18...how about 20?
That's a great strategy to win over mom.

He’d be 205 by the time he’s to campus. Has over a year to put on 30 or so pounds of muscle. He wouldnt be expected to play until sophomore year

205lbs to 235lbs by an 18 year old is easier said than done. A good amount of the added 30 pounds would not be muscle but fat and water. 15lbs of that 30 would melt off him in the first two weeks of preseason camp his sophomore year.

So Pickard, Berry, Robinson and Coleman will be seniors. So in 2020 Kingsley is a senior, Morton and Richards will be juniors and Okechuku, Goulborne, Tuazama and Dawson. So a total of 7 not including any attrition after 2019. What is typical team load for de? 8-10 on Cuse team that will try and move orne or two guys to dt?

205lbs to 235lbs by an 18 year old is easier said than done. A good amount of the added 30 pounds would not be muscle but fat and water. 15lbs of that 30 would melt off him in the first two weeks of preseason camp his sophomore year.
He has a year and change to do this, assuming we’d require him to have pt his redshirt freshman year, or be recruited over. Its building talented depth. See the rehaul at linebacker. Im farrr from concerned here.

18 year olds put on muscle fairly easily and this will be his first year of ACC p5 level physical conditioning.

He has a year and change to do this, assuming we’d require him to have pt his redshirt freshman year, or be recruited over. Its building talented depth. See the rehaul at linebacker. Im farrr from concerned here.

18 year olds put on muscle fairly easily and this will be his first year of ACC p5 level physical conditioning.

Ok. We’ll see.

Just watched Sr highlight. Kid took a big jump in two years. Big twitchy kid who flashes some tools. Much improved get-off. Have been crying in my beer over Smith for the last few days but I'm sold. This kid would look great in orange.

Kid appears to have height...gotta think he is at least 6'4". He would be a RS candidate so he has 18-20 months to put on 30 lbs. Hopefully he can add more quality weight after his RS FR year.

He is worth the risk...if he weighed 30lbs more right now he would be a 4 star recruit.

That's a great strategy to win over mom.
What I was saying was obviously hyperbole. But I would bet all of that type of information seeking is going on, just not stated in the manner I said it. Coaches want to know the likelihood that kids like this are going to be able to put on the weight. Hope the kid does as he does looks excellent in his film. If he puts on the weight he could be awesome for us so I think he is worth that risk.

Over a year is a short period of time?

Thirty pounds is still a lot of weight. It has to be good weight not to slow you down.
He could eat pizza and fast food every day and gain 30 lbs, but that's not what you're looking for.

I don't follow him but his Twitter feed crossed my path. Apparently he had NCAA issues in December that caused all of his offers to disappear. Now NCAA says he is good to go. Had one P5 offer (us I assume). He dreams of playing P5. Then says going JUCo and then says - hold on I don't know where I'm going. Wonder if he is waiting on others on SU's list.

Yes. I don't think it is very likely he can put on enough weight by his RS Freshman year. I guess by the time he is a RS Soph he could be at a good weight from a rush DE stand point. We are looking at guys quite a bit earlier in the cycle than we used to so I guess that does factor in some. Plus the kid does look pretty strong for being only 195 lbs. Its just a bit of a risk is all. I do think he looks very talented though.
I played with Gedney in HS and he was 6'6" then and weighed around 210.

After 1 year in the SU s&c program he was 245.

You have to remember that these guys are still kids at this point and some aren't even close to filling out yet naturally. Even without a world class S&C program. Along with a planned nutrition program with unlimited meals, etc.

I played with Gedney in HS and he was 6'6" then and weighed around 210.

After 1 year in the SU s&c program he was 245.

You have to remember that these guys are still kids at this point and some aren't even close to filling out yet naturally. Even without a world class S&C program. Along with a planned nutrition program with unlimited meals, etc.
Understood and I realize its certainly possible to do it. There have been many guys who have come in and put on a lot of weight pretty fast. I'm not discounting that. But there have been several guys who have come in and have not been able to put on much good weight at all. Everybody is different. Kid has a good frame and looks really talented with a great deal of upside. I think its fairly likely he will be able to put on a decent amount weight and hopefully pretty fast but being at 195 lbs currently I'm not sure about the likelihood of doing so by his Redshirt Freshman year. We'll see. There is still some amount of risk that he can't put on the weight. But I think the risk is likely worth it with him.

Linton seems to be down to USF and Syracuse. Picked up recent offers from Missouri and Baylor but I haven't seen anywhere that he's scheduled a last visit for this weekend.

I'm thinking USF here but this could potentially be our signing day surprise.

Last edited:
Linton seems to be down to USF and Syracuse. Picked up recent offers from Missouri and Baylor but I haven't seen anywhere that he's scheduled a last visit for this weekend.

I'm think USF here but this could potentially be our signing day surprise.
I think this kid has stated his desire to play P5 football.

I think this kid has stated his desire to play P5 football.
I have no insider info but I think if you look at where players come from and the type of career they have at Syracuse, players from Georgia have had the most success of any state (with multiple players). The level of HS football there is really really high.

Would love to see Linton and Watts sign with Syracuse Wednesday.

I have no insider info but I think if you look at where players come from and the type of career they have at Syracuse, players from Georgia have had the most success of any state (with multiple players). The level of HS football there is really really high.

Cf’s from georgia right?

I'd agree. Our success percentages are pretty high with Georgia kid.

What's weird is I think our two highest rated Georgia recruits are the ones who've had the least success.

If this kid commits to us, in my opinion this would be easily our most impressive class in multiple decade regardless of ranking.

If this kid commits to us, in my opinion this would be easily our most impressive class in multiple decade regardless of ranking.

Yeah, just one more D lineman (and then probably a grad OT in May). This class is really, really good, especially including the transfers who are now eligible.

Add in that 8 guys enrolled in January, and man, this group is going to make a serious impact. I'm not a big football recruiting guy, just because there are so many players to follow, but our coaches really seem to be able to identify and reel in talent. Let's have another 9+ win season and then see what they can do!