Deliverance and WVU | Syracusefan.com

Deliverance and WVU

NKR1978

Living Legend
Anyone know what this is about?

http://westvirginia./showmsg.asp?fid=33&tid=148884408&mid=148884408&sid=891&style=2

Did the band/dance team/cheerleaders do anything to offend the WVU fans?

Also, there are some quite racist leaning comments in that thread.

Yea? Tomcat never mentioned this...

I love this though from that thread

"there is a big difference between coming from a rural area and ass-raping Ned Beaty"

Otto and a male cheerleader played cut out guitars in the end zone to "dueling banjos".

The dueling banjo's thing I am guessing.

whatever, the school that burns couches as a post game celebration is upset about a "stereotype"...now that's funny!

Otto and a cheerleader had fake cardboard cutout banjos in the end zone right in front of the student section and the dueling banjos music from Deliverance was piped through the loud-speakers as they mock-played on the banjos. Didn't really think much of it at the time. Funny to have them ripping a degree from Syracuse when getting one from WVU is basically the equivalent of a community college. And honestly, WVU fans calling people racist...pot calling the kettle black to the Nth degree.

Thanks. That's a really strange thing to get upset about. The Sour Sitrus Society should play Country Roads when the basketball team beats them by 3+ touchdowns on January 28. Maybe that will make them feel better.

And honestly, WVU fans calling people racist...pot calling the kettle black to the Nth degree.

But yes, the "race" of West Virginians. There's an inbreeding joke in there somewhere.

And equivocating racial stereotypes and actual racism with "regionalisms" is insanely ignorant. I've never head of anyone lynched for being from West Virginia.

The dueling banjo's thing I am guessing.

whatever, the school that burns couches as a post game celebration is upset about a "stereotype"...now that's funny!

It was awesome. They did it right in front of WVU section. Although, to be fair, would we have mocked "rappers delight" if we were playing grambling? It always seems like a double standard. :)

It was awesome. They did it right in front of WVU section. Although, to be fair, would we have mocked "rappers delight" if we were playing grambling? It always seems like a double standard. :)

I'm sure WVU won't have these types of issues when SU is off their schedule and Air Force, UCF, SMU, and Houston is. Enjoy your new football schedule and future road trips!

This one is one us WV, as the kids say..."our bad!" So we just won't play ya anymore and hurt your feelings. enjoy traveling 3 timezone and playing in the BIG EAST! And enjoy going 10-1 and that Texas Bowl birth the 1st place Big East team gets an automatic bid to starting in 2014...lol

Otto and a cheerleader had fake cardboard cutout banjos in the end zone right in front of the student section and the dueling banjos music from Deliverance was piped through the loud-speakers as they mock-played on the banjos. Didn't really think much of it at the time. Funny to have them ripping a degree from Syracuse when getting one from WVU is basically the equivalent of a community college. And honestly, WVU fans calling people racist...pot calling the kettle black to the Nth degree.

You do know that you can't get a 4-year degree from a Community College.

You also cannot get a PharmD from Syracuse but you can at WVU, and a very good one at that.

Well now we know what's okay in WV:

- attacking a pregnant LSU fan: ok

- playing cardboard banjos to deliverance: not ok

You also cannot get a PharmD from Syracuse but you can at WVU, and a very good one at that.

Yeah. I think the WVU academic stuff is exaggerated. Hell, Tristan got wait-listed there!!

I obviously know that. It was sarcasm and a shot at the fact that between 86-90% of applicants are admitted.

or throwing something from the stands that hits a pitt coach. Nothing to see here. They run their mouths, get their ass kicked and want to whine about some ribbing? Please.

So playing music associated with a specific region is now considered non-PC? I'm upset DG agreed with this. Soon students won't be able to have any fun at the games at all if god forbid some old fart 5 states away gets his panties in a bunch.

Then of course the administration will complain that attendance at the football games is low. Of course it's gonna be low. Let's see... Hey song banned, country music now banned. Whatever.

So playing music associated with a specific region is now considered non-PC? I'm upset DG agreed with this.

What is Gross, or whoever in the AD actually reads/writes these types of e-mails, going to say in response? I imagine in that situation you agree it was wrong and promise to look into it. Tell the guy what he wants to hear so he can go back to his sad life thinking that he made a difference on this monumental insult to the great Commonwealth of West Virginia.

Back in my junior year of college in 1999 we took a road trip that took us to our fraternity's chapters at WVU, JMU and Va Tech. Only spent a monday night in Morgantown, but it seems like a pretty cool place to have a gone to school and the people there were pretty awesome. Just my one WVU story.

So playing music associated with a specific region is now considered non-PC? I'm upset DG agreed with this. Soon students won't be able to have any fun at the games at all if god forbid some old fart 5 states away gets his panties in a bunch.

Then of course the administration will complain that attendance at the football games is low. Of course it's gonna be low. Let's see... Hey song banned, country music now banned. Whatever.

Oy. I'm sure attendance is going to dip because Otto can't prance around to banjo music once every other year...

And they played the Hey song half a dozen times on Friday.

Not as I recall. They did it in front of the normal SU student section on the SU side of the field.

Personally, I love banjo in my music.

Not as I recall. They did it in front of the normal SU student section on the SU side of the field.
Correct. It was right in front of the student section and the student/parent section with Otto and the other person facing our side. My pops found it hilarious.

Correct. They did it in the southwest end zone corner. WVU fans were seated in the northwest cornet.

http://westvirginia./showmsg.asp?fid=33&tid=148884408&mid=148884408&sid=891&style=2

Sorry - they are really crying? Do they know the definition of racist? This from a school whose mascot is a "mountain man" in a coonskin cap carrying a musket and whose fans relish for being reknown for burning couches-:D. The entire thing is actually ironic and so funny. Guess they should be ashamed of themselves for carrying on the stereotype. It has to be a joke.

Yes. Marvin Graves was in the Otto outfit and yet again figure out how to piss off an entire state. The guy just has it in for West Virginia.

Sorry - they are really crying? Do they know the definition of racist?

At least three of them do not know what racism is (all sic'd):
I consider it to be RACISM...

Clearly, the dueling banjos was to mock WVians, to help perpetuate a stereotype. Its a form of racism that shouldn't be tolerated.

If you can tell a hillbilly joke, you can tell a watermelon joke. Or a rabbi joke. Or a Polish joke.

Ain't no difference -- a bigot is a bigot.

Correct. It was right in front of the student section and the student/parent section with Otto and the other person facing our side. My pops found it hilarious.

Wow. I specifically recall it in the endzone closer to WVU section. I was 12 blue lights in at that point so I'll yield to my much older Cherie elders. :)