Depth Chart Speculation | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Depth Chart Speculation

Because he’s a skinny mofo who would match up better in the slot?

He’s never been a “fight for the jump ball” WR at all -
in fact, he’s been personally responsible for several INT’s due to not fighting for the ball, or at least trying to break it up from the DB picking it.

He tends to bracket himself against the sideline, which is taken away being in the slot.

And - he’s GREAT at RAC, so let’s get him the ball with room to run and make things happen.

All that said - I won’t be at all surprised if he’s back out wide again this year.
But I’m solidly in the camp that he’d be waaaay more effective in the slot.
Who has proven to be better than what he's shown? Do you think he can improve at outside Wr or do you think he will remain the same while others improve?

Last edited:
He’s too small to fight for those yards along the sideline. Or at last glance he was, and he played that way last year.
Im asking who has shown to be better? Or should we assume Queeley , Alford and Williams will be better than him? Shouldnt we wait until the new Wr's coach work with him?

Because he’s a skinny mofo who would match up better in the slot?

He’s never been a “fight for the jump ball” WR at all -
in fact, he’s been personally responsible for several INT’s due to not fighting for the ball, or at least trying to break it up from the DB picking it.

He tends to bracket himself against the sideline, which is taken away being in the slot.

And - he’s GREAT at RAC, so let’s get him the ball with room to run and make things happen.

All that said - I won’t be at all surprised if he’s back out wide again this year.
But I’m solidly in the camp that he’d be waaaay more effective in the slot.
Move him around - split reps out wide and slot. We started doing this late in the year, I think.

Who has proven to be better than what he's shown? Do you think he can improve at outside Wr or do you think he will remain the same while others improve?

No one has proven to be better than him in the slot either. I love Courtney Jackson’s potential but I think Taj’s skill set is better suited for the slot and it was fairly apparent in the games that he excelled there. That’s why people are making the judgement. Get the best 3 or 4 on the field.

Personally my starting 4 WR set is Queeley, Jackson, Harris and I’m going Williams over Alford.

You know what you will get from Taj (outbursts and all), and I think he's a great #2 wideout. Queeley was pretty good too last year and earned more looks. I don't see a true #1 wideout though. As far as I'm concerned, this group really needs some guys to step up. Need more productive guys down the depth chart.

No one has proven to be better than him in the slot either. I love Courtney Jackson’s potential but I think Taj’s skill set is better suited for the slot and it was fairly apparent in the games that he excelled there. That’s why people are making the judgement. Get the best 3 or 4 on the field.

Personally my starting 4 WR set is Queeley, Jackson, Harris and I’m going Williams over Alford.
A lot of assumptions are being made because people want Taj in the slot. No depth chart has been given. We dont know what the other guys can do in a game yet. Lets see what improvements he's made. Not sure why people think Taj cant improve his weaknesses and everyone around him can. They are going to have to prove they are better.

A lot of assumptions are being made because people want Taj in the slot. No depth chart has been given. We dont know what the other guys can do in a game yet. Lets see what improvements he's made. Not sure why people think Taj cant improve his weaknesses and everyone around him can. They are going to have to prove they are better.

His performance over the past few weeks isn’t an assumption though. It actually happened.

Agree with this. Move him around.

Taj has all the tools, let's all hope he puts it together and has a qb that can consistently put the ball on him. Think it's been concentration lapses more than anything at times but equally feel he was pressing to try and make big plays happen every play. If he can get some help and some of that weight is lifted the game should slow down for him. The bad plays we all remember look like his mind was 5 yards down field running before securing the ball which is kind of understandable if you have no faith in sustaining drives and are trying to carry an offense.

Would be curious how different our route trees are for slot vs wide though? Otherwise I'd think you'd see more guys cross training both and we'd try and work favorable matchups for Taj specifically.

Not sure why some just assume Taj is going inside. He's going to stay where he's at if the other guys aren't better than him. He will have a big year as long as the line and QB is serviceable.

It’s speculation . But it’s not based on nothing.

It was my way to get bigger bodies on the edges and have Taj operate underneath and in space, where he made some big plays last year.

If the three freshman are better than anyone on the roster, start them. That is THE unit that should be wide open for competition.

It’s speculation . But it’s not based on nothing.

It was my way to get bigger bodies on the edges and have Taj operate underneath and in space, where he made some big plays last year.

If the three freshman are better than anyone on the roster, start them. That is THE unit that should be wide open for competition.
I get it but the key word is if. Sometimes we get all giddy for the next guy when we dont know how good they are. Some people are talking as if Dino told them Taj is staying at slot. Lets see how it plays out.

Im asking who has shown to be better? Or should we assume Queeley , Alford and Williams will be better than him? Shouldnt we wait until the new Wr's coach work with him?
Taj is definitely our best WR. If he stays at WR and kills it, great

But I would like to see him the slot because he is great with YAC but also aren’t slot routes generally more high percentage(especially when we just seem to throw bombs to WR)?

Irv Phillips put up better numbers in the slot than Taj at WR and that was with Etta-Tawo and Ismael going over 1,000 yards. I miss being able to get those 5 yards to the slot that Irv was so good at. Taj would probably excel at that

Leveraging OX's fine work in Ensleyology here is my cut at a depth chart. Much more guessing and reliance on the ND depth chart than what would have done in the past. Some position assignments are based on getting the most talent/experience on the field.

QB

Quarterbacks (3 / 2)DC
13Tommy DeVitoQBQB6'2
221​
R-Sr.
1​
Garrett ShraderQBQB6'4
220​
R-So.Transfer from Miss St / Jan Enrollee
2​
15JaCobian MorganQBQB6'4
203​
R-Fr.
3​
11Dillon MarkiewiczQBQB6'5
216​
R-Fr.
4​
Justin LamsonQBQB6'3
210​
Fr.Signed NLI / Jan Enrollee
5​

Battle at the top, but DeVito has a big inherent advantage. Hopefully the freshmen aren't needed this year.

Offensive Line (12 / 7)
68Airon ServaisOLC6'6
309​
G-Sr.Returning
1​
57Dakota DavisOLLG6'5
327​
R-Sr.
1​
60Matthew BergeronOLLT6'4
312​
R-So.
1​
67Chris BleichOLRG6'6
332​
R-Jr.
1​
Willie TylerOLRT6'7
335​
Jr.Transfer from Texas
1​
52Carlos VettorelloOLC6'4
289​
R-Jr.
2​
55Josh IlaoaOLLG6'3
295​
R-Fr.
2​
70Wil FroumyOLLT6'6
307​
R-Jr.
2​
56Darius TisdaleOLRG6'4
342​
R-Sr.
2​
69Patrick DavisOLRT6'5
311​
G-Sr.Returning
2​
Jakob BradfordOLLG6'4
300​
Jr.JUCO from Iowa CC
3​
72Mark PetryOLLT6'4
265​
R-So.
3​
51Anthony RedOLRG6'5
297​
R-So.
3​
53Garth BarclayOLRT6'7
270​
R-Fr.
3​
Wes HoehOLOG6'4
250​
Fr.Signed NLI
4​
Enrique Cruz, JrOLOG6'5
250​
Fr.Signed NLI
4​
Kalan EllisOLOG6'5
350​
Fr.Signed NLI
4​
Austyn KauhiOLOT6'5
260​
Fr.Signed NLI
4​
Tyler MagnusonOLOT6'5
260​
Fr.Signed NLI
4​

I think four guys are locked in the 1st unit, Servais, Davis, Bergeron, and Bleich. Where the configuration changes is between the RT and Center. Many position assignments are guesses. Just looking at measurables of height, weight, and games played this unit should be a strength and is finally "ACC" level there. I'll repeat, this will be the biggest and most experienced OL since at least 2012.

Wide Receivers (10 / 3)
3Taj HarrisWRSR6'2
164​
R-Jr.
1​
14Anthony QueeleyWRWR6'2
193​
R-Jr.
1​
35Damien AlfordWRWR6'5
210​
R-Fr.
1​
19Sharod JohnsonWRSR5'11
181​
R-Sr.
2​
81Justin BarronWRWR6'4
208​
R-Fr.
2​
86Ja'Vontae WilliamsWRWR6'0
203​
R-Fr.
2​
85Courtney JacksonWRSR5'10
173​
R-So.
3​
12Russell Thompson-BishopWRWR6'0
234​
R-Sr.
3​
80Isaiah JonesWRWR6'4
200​
R-So.
3​
29Trebor PenaWRSR6'0
185​
R-Fr.
4​
Oronde Gadsden IIWRWR6'4
190​
Fr.Signed NLI
4​
Umari HatcherWRWR6'3
175​
Fr.Signed NLI
4​
Kendall LongWRWR6'3
210​
Fr.Signed NLI
4​

First premise is that Taj moves to the slot. I think the incoming recruits have a significant opportunity to get in the rotation. Coming out of August this could be radically different. Need consistent production out of this group.

Tight Ends (4 / 1)
5​
Chris ElmoreTEFB6'0
288​
G-Sr.Returning
1​
87Luke BensonTETE6'3
233​
R-So.
1​
88Steven Mahar Jr.TETE6'5
225​
R-Fr.
2​
47Maximilian MangTETE6'7
250​
R-Fr.
3​
Landon MorrisTETE6'5
210​
Fr.Jan Enrollee
4​

Wish we could here what Morris is doing. Tape was impressive. Elmore and Benson are known quantities. Mahar and Morris seem to be more move/slot guys and Mang if he can get some heft the traditional inline guy. I have no idea if he can be a receiving threat.

Running Backs (4 / 1)
34Sean TuckerRBRB5'10
202​
R-Fr.
1​
23​
Abdul AdamsRBRB5'11
205​
G-Sr.
2​
28​
Jarveon HowardRBRB5'10
214​
R-Jr
3​
24Cooper LutzRBRB6'0
201​
R-Jr.
4​
Josh HoughRBRB6'2
235​
Fr.Signed NLI
5​

Top to bottom most proven talent in a unit on the team. Should show up in the preseason books in the top third of the ACC.

Every guy has made plays and brings a little something different. Would love someone who really knows the position to breakdown the style each guy has, as in Tucker is like player X.

Defensive Line (9 / 4)
9Kingsley JonathanDLDE6'3
264​
G-Sr.Returning
1​
85Josh BlackDLDT6'3
282​
G-Sr.Returning
1​
0McKinley WilliamsDLNT6'4
291​
G-Sr.Returning
1​
93​
Caleb OkechukwuDLDE6'4
257​
R-Jr.
2​
97Cody RoscoeDLDT6'0
258​
G-Sr.??
2​
52Curtis HarperDLNT6'2
296​
R-Sr.
2​
88Drew TuazamaDLDE6'5
244​
R-So.
3​
12Latarie KinslerDLDE6'3
213​
R-Fr.
3​
61Joe RondiDLDT6'4
272​
R-So.
3​
Jatius GeerDLDE6'5
240​
Fr.Signed NLI
4​
Chase SimmonsDLDE6'4
240​
Fr.Signed NLI
4​
Elijah FuentesDLDT6'3
260​
Fr.Signed NLI
4​
Terry LockettDLDT6'1
255​
4​

This has to be the one group that keeps Dino up at night. I believe there is still uncertainty on the status of Okechukwu and Roscoe. If these guys can't play stouter it will really limit the team. Designed for a team where the offense is putting the opponent in keep up/catch up mode and you are playing with favorable down, distance, score situations. There are big bodies to spare on the OL, can one of them play NT?

Linebackers (10 / 3)
31Geoff Cantin-ArkuLBMLB6'4
228​
R-So.
1​
27Stefon ThompsonLBSLB6'0
235​
R-Fr.
1​
13Mikel JonesLBWLB6'0
230​
R-So.
1​
32Marlowe WaxLBMLB6'0
230​
R-Fr.
2​
17Steve LintonLBSLB6'5
224​
R-So.
2​
42Tyrell RichardsLBWLB6'4
234​
R-Sr.
2​
90Ishmael GoulbourneLBLB6'3
207​
R-So.
3​
16Leon LoweryLBLB6'4
225​
R-Fr.
3​
24Anwar SparrowLBLB6'0
204​
R-Fr.
3​
21Lee KpogbaLBMLB6'0
224​
R-So.
3​
Malik MatthewLBLB6'3
210​
Fr.Signed NLI
4​
Derek McDonaldLBLB6'4
225​
Fr.Signed NLI
4​
Austin RoonLBLB6'3
220​
Fr.Signed NLI
4​

Very solid two deep. Based on last year you could treat the ones and twos as co starters. Because of the Kpogba uncertainty did some shuffling with the 2nd unit. Full of young play makers. It will be great if guys don't get as dinged as last year.

Defensive Backs (9 / 3)
34Eric ColeyDBBS6'2
206​
R-Sr.
1​
14Garrett WilliamsDBCB5'11
184​
R-So.
1​
Duce ChestnutDBCB5'11
180​
1​
19Rob HannaDBFS6'0
168​
R-Fr.
1​
11Ja'Had CarterDBRV6'2
191​
R-Fr.
1​
Malcolm FolkDBBS6'1
185​
2​
15Neil NunnDBCB6'0
183​
R-So.
2​
35Chase AtkinsonDBCB5'11
180​
R-Fr.
2​
26Aman GreenwoodDBFS5'10
180​
R-So.
2​
28Ben LabrosseDBRV6'2
200​
R-Fr.
2​
10Adrian ColeDBCB5'10
171​
R-So.
3​
Jason Simmons, JrDBS6'0
193​
So.Transfer from New Mex St
3​

Biggest worry bead after the DL in my opinion. At lot of guesses using the ND depth chart as a starting point. By far the youngest unit on the team. This is just my guess this could end up as radically different in August. The guys entering early have radically changed the outlook of this unit and the defense as a whole.

It there is room on the roster adding a DT and a DB would be great.

I hope somebody beats our Servais. He may have been hurt, but he's been our worst lineman for 2 years running, first at center, then at left tackle. Please somebody beat him out.

Size wise the others seems suited for the outside for blocking and jump balls. Taj did not seem suited for blocking when the ball was not going to him. Taj does not seem to have elite speed to run by defenders consistently.

Size wise the others seems suited for the outside for blocking and jump balls. Taj did not seem suited for blocking when the ball was not going to him. Taj does not seem to have elite speed to run by defenders consistently.
Sounds like you are trying to make guys better than Taj before actually proving it. So now he's too slow and the other Wr's have elite speed? Dino always had sets where he put outside guys in the slot. Not sure why people started inking him in as a full time slot. Especially before other guys prove they can hold their weight out there. Taj staying in the slot was never mentioned by the staff. Just people assuming he will be better there and other wr's will be better than him on the outside.

Last edited:
Taj has all the tools, let's all hope he puts it together and has a qb that can consistently put the ball on him. Think it's been concentration lapses more than anything at times but equally feel he was pressing to try and make big plays happen every play. If he can get some help and some of that weight is lifted the game should slow down for him. The bad plays we all remember look like his mind was 5 yards down field running before securing the ball which is kind of understandable if you have no faith in sustaining drives and are trying to carry an offense.

Would be curious how different our route trees are for slot vs wide though? Otherwise I'd think you'd see more guys cross training both and we'd try and work favorable matchups for Taj specifically.
All true. We all know his issues. Its been talked about to exhaustion here. My thoughts really has nothing to do with him. We have an idea of what he can do. Its more about the other guys stepping up. Some automatically think others wr's will be better. Some think the next recruit is always better. What reports have we heard that makes people feel this way? Last year version of Taj still might be better than what we have. We don't know but lets see how the other Wr's developed. Lets see if Taj matures and develops. Cross training makes sense. I think that is something they try to do with all their Wr's. A lot of Taj catches his freshman year actually came from the slot. Then he played outside the last 2 years. He will line up in different spots. Not sure why people have him locked in at slot.

Last edited:
All true. We all know his issues. Its been talked about to exhaustion here. My thoughts really has nothing to do with him. We have an idea of what he can do. Its more about the other guys stepping up. Some automatically think others wr's will be better. Some think the next recruit is always better. What reports have we heard that makes people feel this way? Last year version of Taj still might be better than what we have. We don't know but lets see how the other Wr's developed. Lets see if Taj matures and develops. Cross training makes sense. I think that is something they try to do with all their Wr's. A lot of Taj catches his freshman year actually came from the slot. Then he played outside the last 2 years. He will line up in different spots. Not sure why people have him locked in at slot.
I'm sure they'll move him around. But I think the slot concept for Taj comes from his slender build, and his tendency to get jammed at the LOS. In this respect (release), while guys like Q and Alford (and Williams) are not "better" than Taj, they are 35-50 pounds heavier. So if they're developed enough to give the staff confidence (like Q) ... I can see Dino putting Q and Javonte' (or Damien) outside so Taj can operate in space (slot).

Last edited:
I agree, I like the size of Alford. Him and Queeley are capable of being good blockers on the edge. They also have the ability to high point the ball with their length and strength but they still have to prove they can do it. I like the potential of Williams and the guys coming in but they are all unproven. Not sure who you've seen on the roster that have ran by defenders on a consistent basis. Ive seen Taj do it at times. Running by DB's hasn't been a big issue. Dropping them has. I've also seen him out run defenders to the end zone after catches as well. Im hoping the others can do it as well so Taj can be moved in different places.

I'm sure they'll move him around. But I think the slot concept for Taj comes from his slender build, and his tendency to get jammed at the LOS. In this respect (release), while guys like Q and Alford (and Williams) are not "better" than Taj, they are 35-50 pounds heavier. So if they're developed enough to give the staff confidence (like Q) ... I can see Dino putting running Q and Javonte' (or Damien) outside so Taj can operate in space (slot).
I totally agree and he is slender but he doesn't go down easy. We have bigger stronger Wr's that get tackled on first contact. Taj might improve on those down field 50/50 balls. Some people are assuming that the slot position wont get better. The staff might think Pena and Courtney will give them what they need there. I like the potential of Williams playing inside or outside. I like length of Alford and Jones on the outside but you have to keep Taj outside primarily until the other guys can prove they can make the plays Dino needs them to make on the outside.

Of course it's not automatic that the new guys will be better - or even good enough - but if you don't give them a shot, then you never find out. I feel like Babers hasn't played enough young guys at certain positions. Maybe that's because they don't understand their positions well enough to not make glaring mistakes. But you don't know until they play against live competition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom