Depth Chart Speculation | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Depth Chart Speculation

We kept playing the oldest LBs, and had new starters for 3 years in a row, whereas we've lost a couple promising young LBs who transferred out because they didn't want to wait. That's how I see it, anyway.

As for the RBs, I would say last year it was Jawahr Jordan and Markenzie Pierre.

The year before (2019), Abdul Adams and Jawahr Jordan again (who averaged 7 yards a carry on only 15 carries).

In 2018, Abdul Adams and Markenzie Pierre each only got 8 carries for the entire season, when we went with Moe Neal and Dontae Strickland, neither of whom were effective as short yardage backs.
In 18 Adams wasn’t eligible Until the bowl game.

and you were going to play 4 rbs? Strickland, Neal, and Howard were the rotation

they intentionally redshirted him

I don’t think it was line calls that kept him behind Neal, Adams, and Howard
Exactly and I was actually impressed with how many carries Howard received in 2018 as a TRUE FROSH particularly given he had a solid senior and very good junior in front of him

(Moe Neal has same YPC as Joe Morris, David Walker and Dee Brown so don’t @ me about how he was average or middleing)

I'm really looking forward to seeing our RB's in action this year. I'll be very surprised if we have more pass attempts than running plays. If the OL improves as we hope, the RB's should get plenty of carries and the QB will benefit. Hough may be at the bottom of the depth chart, but I hope we get to see him some. When's the last time we had such depth at RB?

This is all true. I don't disagree. But it seems like, for instance, having the running back call out the blocking coverage for a play has kept some young running backs off the field for us who might have helped our truly terrible run game the last couple years.

Offensive linemen need time. Defensive linemen can play more instinctively. But whether they can get on the field early is very much a function of their size and development.

It's at LB and WR and RB that I've been disappointed that more of the young guys couldn't get on the field sooner.
Calling out the plays has nothing to do with them not playing. Knowing their assignments and not playing well keeps them off the field. RB's need to know protection in any scheme. The O line is the reason for the terrible run game. Its not because we didn't play our younger backs.

Agree with lineman needed more time but I don't understand your expectation of the young skill players. They have to earn the right to be on the field. Be better than the next guy. Its that simple. Coaches are not purposely keeping the best players off the field. There's way too much at stake.

In 18 Adams wasn’t eligible Until the bowl game.

and you were going to play 4 rbs? Strickland, Neal, and Howard were the rotation

You're right, I forgot. It's probably Strickland I remember Dino talking about, saying he couldn't play other guys because Strickland excels at calling out the blocking assignments.

Calling out the plays has nothing to do with them not playing. Knowing their assignments and not playing well keeps them off the field. RB's need to know protection in any scheme. The O line is the reason for the terrible run game. Its not because we didn't play our younger backs.

Agree with lineman needed more time but I don't understand your expectation of the young skill players. They have to earn the right to be on the field. Be better than the next guy. Its that simple. Coaches are not purposely keeping the best players off the field. There's way too much at stake.

Not to argue, but this is my point. Yes, the line was poor.

But you are adding an extra element that is unique, so far as I know, in having the back call the blocking.

You can say, if a back can't block against the blitz, that keeps him off the field. I can understand that - on passing downs.

But if your system asks something of the back that backs don't grow up doing (calling blocking assignments), then you are adding an impediment to the "best" running back getting on the field.

That's my point.

I'm really looking forward to seeing our RB's in action this year. I'll be very surprised if we have more pass attempts than running plays. If the OL improves as we hope, the RB's should get plenty of carries and the QB will benefit. Hough may be at the bottom of the depth chart, but I hope we get to see him some. When's the last time we had such depth at RB?

Great competition at that spot

Post camp we will see if they all want to still be here

Tucker to me is special and I really like what Howard has done in the past

I think it goes both ways with the middle of the field issues. Yes we were not very good at running up the middle. But I think that was partly because we were very ineffective using the middle of the field in the passing game. Teams didn't respect our ability to pass over the middle. Teams would often rush us up the middle and could easily stuff the run if its was a run or just rush the passer up the gut. When passing we didn't have the ability to hold them off long enough to throw over the middle of the field or have the QB escape the pocket and then make the pass or a scramble for that matter. So they jammed rushing lanes and blitzed up the middle and covered the receivers on the outside. We have to find a way to punish teams and make plays over the middle. Our offense was way to easy to game plan for and stop.

You had me at goes both ways.

Fair but can we agree downfield includes the area between the hashmarks? And includes the intermediate pass? I feel like 90% of TDs throws that are not in the flat are deep balls, and usually the sideline.

I don't generally disagree, I just don't know everything that goes into the play call or the read. My understanding was that we look at the D and take what they give us.

Who knows if our staff is reading the D correctly, or if DeVito is reading the play correctly.

But yes, it doesn't often seem like we're using the whole field.

Not to argue, but this is my point. Yes, the line was poor.

But you are adding an extra element that is unique, so far as I know, in having the back call the blocking.

You can say, if a back can't block against the blitz, that keeps him off the field. I can understand that - on passing downs.

But if your system asks something of the back that backs don't grow up doing (calling blocking assignments), then you are adding an impediment to the "best" running back getting on the field.

That's my point.
When did that rumor ever begin? The RB's dont call out blocking schemes. lol. I'm not trying to be funny but its comical that people believe that. There are signals given to the QB and all the skill guys. The RB gets the signal then yells out code words. That allows the the line to know what play it is. RB is part of the line protection. The RB is part of the run scheme. Its all connected. This is common stuff. We do it at the HS level. There is no extra duties that are keeping RB's off the field. Wr's do need to know more. They do a lot of read and choice routes. Bottom line, they have to earn playing time. Nothing is given to them

Last edited:
I don't generally disagree, I just don't know everything that goes into the play call or the read. My understanding was that we look at the D and take what they give us.

Who knows if our staff is reading the D correctly, or if DeVito is reading the play correctly.

But yes, it doesn't often seem like we're using the whole field.
Very good point! I've mentioned numerous times that playing the QB position is soooo much more than "arm talent". (I hate that term)

Eric excelled at making the proper read at the LOS and getting the team into the right play i.e. he took what the D gave him. This is where TD struggles. Hopefully he's been spending considerable time in the film room.

Dino has played younger players, Cisco, Taj, etc but having new LB’s every was maddening.

I feel like DC White was rotating more last year. I may be wrong but it seemed like he was getting more players into rotation. Seeing what they can do in game action.

But I’m willing to bet if Adams and Howard don’t sit out and JJ doesn’t get hurt Tucker doesn’t see the field last year. And Tucker has shown to be more productive than all of them

Dino has played younger players, Cisco, Taj, etc but having new LB’s every was maddening.

I feel like DC White was rotating more last year. I may be wrong but it seemed like he was getting more players into rotation. Seeing what they can do in game action.

But I’m willing to bet if Adams and Howard don’t sit out and JJ doesn’t get hurt Tucker doesn’t see the field last year. And Tucker has shown to be more productive than all of them
May be true for the defense, but I also think the younger players are better than the prior years you are referring to. Wax, Thompson, Jones, Kpogba over Trotter and Fagan.

I'm not at all anti TD, and if he can make the throws, I am fine letting him be QB 1. But if Garrett can allow us to run a passing offense that is more than flat-flat-deep sideline, I am all for it. We need to use the middle of the field. We need to throw more 8-12-15 yard passes. Whichever QB can do that better is the one I want starting.
I think Tommy will start day one and he will be on an extremely short leash.

I could see Dino being comfortable going to one of the other QBs without hesitation if things are shaky.

I think Tommy will start day one and he will be on an extremely short leash.

I could see Dino being comfortable going to one of the other QBs without hesitation if things are shaky.

Maybe. And I am fine with that. If he looks better than Shrader in Spring.

Maybe. And I am fine with that. If he looks better than Shrader in Spring.
He probably will look better in spring. TD has a good arm and can make throws in practice. The problem seems to be in games when he knows he’s going to get hit and complex defenses are thrown at him his decision making and ability to improvise becomes a big issue.

He probably will look better in spring. TD has a good arm and can make throws in practice. The problem seems to be in games when he knows he’s going to get hit and complex defenses are thrown at him his decision making and ability to improvise becomes a big issue.

How do you know what looks he's getting in practice?

This has been an issue for the past 2 years. Are you saying you think they altered practice to account for this.

Just watching the limited videos and his play the last three years. We all know he can throw a good pass it’s his decision making in games that is the issue. In practice when you cannot be hit and you know your teams D it would be natural for a qb with a strong arm to excel. However it takes more than a strong arm to excel in games.
I hope he has fixed his game issues but I have been hoping that for two years.
Personally I do not care who wins the job as long as they allow the team to be successful.

This has been an issue for the past 2 years. Are you saying you think they altered practice to account for this.
That's been what people have said here. I think it's a bit much to assume that the staff a.) haven't seen what we've seen on game tape and b.) haven't tried to address it

Just watching the limited videos and his play the last three years. We all know he can throw a good pass it’s his decision making in games that is the issue. In practice when you cannot be hit and you know your teams D it would be natural for a qb with a strong arm to excel. However it takes more than a strong arm to excel in games.
I hope he has fixed his game issues but I have been hoping that for two years.
Personally I do not care who wins the job as long as they allow the team to be successful.
Yeah, I think he's def a better QB when it's not "live" - but I'd bet a lot that they've taken steps to get him into situations that are more game-like in practice

That's been what people have said here. I think it's a bit much to assume that they a.) haven't seen what we've seen on game tape and b.) haven't tried to address it
Let’s hope so.

White definitely subs more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom