Depth Chart Speculation | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Depth Chart Speculation

I'm not at all anti TD, and if he can make the throws, I am fine letting him be QB 1. But if Garrett can allow us to run a passing offense that is more than flat-flat-deep sideline, I am all for it. We need to use the middle of the field. We need to throw more 8-12-15 yard passes. Whichever QB can do that better is the one I want starting.

I'm not at all anti TD, and if he can make the throws, I am fine letting him be QB 1. But if Garrett can allow us to run a passing offense that is more than flat-flat-deep sideline, I am all for it. We need to use the middle of the field. We need to throw more 8-12-15 yard passes. Whichever QB can do that better is the one I want starting.
I agree. I’m not sold on TD but if he wins the job and excels great. I just want a qb that can move the ball, score and most important win games.

Of course it's not automatic that the new guys will be better - or even good enough - but if you don't give them a shot, then you never find out. I feel like Babers hasn't played enough young guys at certain positions. Maybe that's because they don't understand their positions well enough to not make glaring mistakes. But you don't know until they play against live competition.
They get shots every day in practice. It starts off with tearing it up on the look team. Then you have to gain the coaches trust by being mentally and physically capable. That's how Taj got on the field early. That's how guys like Berg, Benson, Thompson, Jones, Cisco, Trill, Carter, Wax, Howard got on the field early.

Last edited:

The threat of running the ball will help open up the middle of the field. I'm a broken record on this, but Tommy's success will be determined by how well he can keep his eyes downfield and make a play when flushed out of the pocked. Either by a blitz or good initial coverage. Hopefully not because one of the OL was beaten like a drum.

They get shots every day in practice. It starts off with tearing up it up on the look team. Then you have to gain the coaches trust by being mentally and physically capable. That's how Taj got on the field early. That's how guys like Berg, Benson, Thompson, Jones, Cisco, Trill, Carter, Wax, Howard got on the field early.

It's going to be so important to win those first 2 games. All the ghosts of 2020 can disappear.

If we can do it, he can use the Albany game to experiment with all the younger guys.

It's going to be so important to win those first 2 games. All the ghosts of 2020 can disappear.

If we can do it, he can use the Albany game to experiment with all the younger guys.
Agree, need to win first two games and playing teams like Albany gives you a chance to give younger game reps. We have to also keep in mind that Albany's first team guys aren't better than what they see every day in practice.

Last edited:
Coaches have gone out and brought in OL, WR and QB players to provide plenty of competition. Having spring ball back this year should give the new coaches plenty of opportunity to see what they’re working with.

They get shots every day in practice. It starts off with tearing up it up on the look team. Then you have to gain the coaches trust by being mentally and physically capable. That's how Taj got on the field early. That's how guys like Berg, Benson, Thompson, Jones, Cisco, Trill, Carter, Wax, Howard got on the field early.

This is all true. I don't disagree. But it seems like, for instance, having the running back call out the blocking coverage for a play has kept some young running backs off the field for us who might have helped our truly terrible run game the last couple years.

Offensive linemen need time. Defensive linemen can play more instinctively. But whether they can get on the field early is very much a function of their size and development.

It's at LB and WR and RB that I've been disappointed that more of the young guys couldn't get on the field sooner.

This is all true. I don't disagree. But it seems like, for instance, having the running back call out the blocking coverage for a play has kept some young running backs off the field for us who might have helped our truly terrible run game the last couple years.

Offensive linemen need time. Defensive linemen can play more instinctively. But whether they can get on the field early is very much a function of their size and development.

It's at LB and WR and RB that I've been disappointed that more of the young guys couldn't get on the field sooner.
What running backs were kept off the field?

LB? What?

LB? What?
Jordan maybe, but that’s about it as far as I remember for RB, LB and WR.

Great opening post, showing great detail and loads of effort!

4DF196F9-A75C-4B68-9CEB-881EE4F31B23.jpeg

This gets at something important that rears it's head on the basketball side too. It's this idea that game time is this precious commodity to evaluate players. (Forgive me) "Kadary wasn't allowed to shoot but made a bunch of open 3's in that one game" and "Taj showed he's a slot guy since he caught a few balls once in that game I saw"

Not even close to the same, but my son is on a travel soccer team and it crops up there too. Too much emphasis on game "tape" and experience, not enough on the much more in depth, often longer time spent in practice.

It's a mystery to us because we don't have all of that time (or expertise) around the player. So we tend to form opinions on the data we have access to. I'm 10000% confident the HC's are saying "show us" every day in practice and the guys that are the most consistent get to do those things in games. Obvious, I guess - but a good reminder.

The threat of running the ball will help open up the middle of the field. I'm a broken record on this, but Tommy's success will be determined by how well he can keep his eyes downfield and make a play when flushed out of the pocked. Either by a blitz or good initial coverage. Hopefully not because one of the OL was beaten like a drum.
I think it goes both ways with the middle of the field issues. Yes we were not very good at running up the middle. But I think that was partly because we were very ineffective using the middle of the field in the passing game. Teams didn't respect our ability to pass over the middle. Teams would often rush us up the middle and could easily stuff the run if it was a run or just rush the passer up the gut. When passing we didn't have the ability to hold them off long enough to throw over the middle of the field or have the QB escape the pocket and then make the pass or a scramble for that matter. So they jammed rushing lanes and blitzed up the middle and covered the receivers on the outside. We have to find a way to punish teams and make plays over the middle. Our offense was way to easy to game plan for and stop.

Last edited:
This gets at something important that rears it's head on the basketball side too. It's this idea that game time is this precious commodity to evaluate players. (Forgive me) "Kadary wasn't allowed to shoot but made a bunch of open 3's in that one game" and "Taj showed he's a slot guy since he caught a few balls once in that game I saw"

Not even close to the same, but my son is on a travel soccer team and it crops up there too. Too much emphasis on game "tape" and experience, not enough on the much more in depth, often longer time spent in practice.

It's a mystery to us because we don't have all of that time (or expertise) around the player. So we tend to form opinions on the data we have access to. I'm 10000% confident the HC's are saying "show us" every day in practice and the guys that are the most consistent get to do those things in games. Obvious, I guess - but a good reminder.

some kids are just gamers, when the lights come on they play better. I have a son who struggles with this. it's never about effort it's generally focus. might drop a ball or whatever that they catch in the game. just keep trying to hammer home to the kids to practice like it's a game but i have no doubt some part of human chemistry plays a role here with adrenaline and endorphins etc.

You are spot on. As fans we evaluate what we see on game day and that's it. Anyone can show flashes. When we see it in a game we assume that player is showing that all the time. Its not as obvious to see if he miss reads and assignments, failing his classes, falling asleep in meetings, bad teammate etc.. As coaches you have to make evaluations based on what you consistently see and know about the players strengths and weaknesses. There's so many moving parts in football, All it takes is one player not doing his job. A kid can make a acrobatic catch for a TD but also missed 10 assignments on other plays that could have been significant gains. Average fan will say he should be playing more. Well they are right but he won't play more until he stops hurting the team in other areas lol.

LB? What?

We kept playing the oldest LBs, and had new starters for 3 years in a row, whereas we've lost a couple promising young LBs who transferred out because they didn't want to wait. That's how I see it, anyway.

As for the RBs, I would say last year it was Jawahr Jordan and Markenzie Pierre.

The year before (2019), Abdul Adams and Jawahr Jordan again (who averaged 7 yards a carry on only 15 carries).

In 2018, Abdul Adams and Markenzie Pierre each only got 8 carries for the entire season, when we went with Moe Neal and Dontae Strickland, neither of whom were effective as short yardage backs.

Last edited:
We kept playing the oldest LBs, and had new starters for 3 years in a row, whereas we've lost a couple promising young LBs who transferred out because they didn't want to wait. That's how I see it, anyway.
You might be referring to Fagan and Trotter...both were under sized weight-wise. I think Fagan was listed under 200lbs.

Your point might have been more valid under DC Ward but we've all seen a huge LB youth movement under DC White. The future at LB looks bright.

You might be referring to Fagan and Trotter...both were under sized weight-wise. I think Fagan was listed under 200lbs.

Your point might have been more valid under DC Ward but we've all seen a huge LB youth movement under DC White. The future at LB looks bright.

OK, fair enough. It has changed with the new DC.

As for the RBs, I would say last year it was Jawahr Jordan and Markenzie Pierre.

The year before (2019), Abdul Adams and Jawahr Jordan again (who averaged 7 yards a carry on only 15 carries).

In 2018, Abdul Adams and Markenzie Pierre each only got 8 carries for the entire season, when we went with Moe Neal and Dontae Strickland, neither of whom were effective as short yardage backs.
There is a case to be made for this point in some past season but if the younger players were actually better i'm not sure. This certainly isn't the case with the current situation at LB or RB after what transpired last year. Lots of young guys saw the field with a majority share of the snaps.

Fair but can we agree downfield includes the area between the hashmarks? And includes the intermediate pass? I feel like 90% of TDs throws that are not in the flat are deep balls, and usually the sideline.

Fair but can we agree downfield includes the area between the hashmarks? And includes the intermediate pass? I feel like 90% of TDs throws that are not in the flat are deep balls, and usually the sideline.

AND - we seem to have gotten totally away from the short curls, slants, and crossing patterns that guys like Erv, Briz, Riley, etc FEASTED on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom