Deco is surprisingly good
Knows the game
Explains it
And talks at fan level when he says things like he has
No idea what NET is.

But he has one annoying habit.
Using the phrase “downhill” so much
Last time I looked courts were level.
How about just saying the Orange run or push it or they want to fast break.
Something in nice plain simple English.

No love for the Dickey Simpkins broadcasts ?
Simpkins was fun though!

He always sounded like he was having a good time watching college basketball.

That's like 50% of the job, and the part that way too many broadcasters fail at.

It was incredible in the second half when Devendorf said Pack needed to get cooking for Miami, and Pack then hit 3 straight buckets.

It was also delicious in the first half when Devendorf commented on Mintz's matador D...speaking from experience there.

It's zero surprise that Cory Alexander isn't professional enough to handle traveling to Syracuse in the winter. During the 20-21 season, I was watching a game he was calling that was taking place during an NFL playoff game. This was the season when most announcers were calling games from their homes.

In between stories he told about texting former players and their parents, Alexander was talking about the football game and proudly stated he was watching the NFL game while calling the basketball game. Watching and commenting on a basketball game for 2 consecutive hours is your ONLY JOB! Not that difficult.
His flight got cancelled.

It was incredible in the second half when Devendorf said Pack needed to get cooking for Miami, and Pack then hit 3 straight buckets.

It was also delicious in the first half when Devendorf commented on Mintz's matador D...speaking from experience there.

It's zero surprise that Cory Alexander isn't professional enough to handle traveling to Syracuse in the winter. During the 20-21 season, I was watching a game he was calling that was taking place during an NFL playoff game. This was the season when most announcers were calling games from their homes.

In between stories he told about texting former players and their parents, Alexander was talking about the football game and proudly stated he was watching the NFL game while calling the basketball game. Watching and commenting on a basketball game for 2 consecutive hours is your ONLY JOB! Not that difficult.
Jesus. Smoke some pot or something dude.

I noticed that. It was a fun watch as a Syracuse fan, but I'm sure Miami fans didn't enjoy the broadcast and for all this board complains about biased announcers... well...

Miami has fans?

I think he did a good job.
Given his Syracuse roots, I think he over compensated a bit and probably talked more about Miami than Syracuse at times, looking at things more from Miami's angle. But that is not an easy thing to balance.

I'm sure he was cheering hard on the final play, and some of that came out in his comments.

Devo was pretty good, I thought. I did laugh though when I think it was Pack that they mentioned scored his 1,500th career point. Devo: "You know what it means when you score 1,500 points in your career? It means you can score the basketball." Yes. Agreed.

I think he did a good job.
Given his Syracuse roots, I think he over compensated a bit and probably talked more about Miami than Syracuse at times, looking at things more from Miami's angle. But that is not an easy thing to balance.

I'm sure he was cheering hard on the final play, and some of that came out in his comments.
I thought he was pretty balanced considering how close he is to SU and Syracuse, much better than Jay Williams but that bar is really low.

He certainly knows the game and articulated his thoughts well; so good job.

I’m sure ESPN suits were cringing when Devo had no idea what a Quad Win was. Other than that, he did great. He needs to take the next step and break down some of his lingo though.

I’ve been a basketball fan for 30 years at this point, so I know what “going downhill” and a “3 level scorer” means, but others probably don’t.

I’m sure ESPN suits were cringing when Devo had no idea what a Quad Win was. Other than that, he did great. He needs to take the next step and break down some of his lingo though.

I’ve been a basketball fan for 30 years at this point, so I know what “going downhill” and a “3 level scorer” means, but others probably don’t.
Neither do we my good man.
Neither. Do. We.

He’s good. Legit good. Gave a lot of credit to Miami during that game.
I agree for the most part, but he's just a bit too monotone IMO. Yes, a very minor thing, but I would like to see some inflection in his voice.

I agree for the most part, but he's just a bit too monotone IMO. Yes, a very minor thing, but I would like to see some inflection in his voice.
I think you’re being overly critical. He wasn’t boring. Could he use a few broadcasting training classes? Sure, but he’s largely untrained and just using his passion and knowledge about the game to bring good commentary. He wasn’t boring and did a very nice job balancing the PBP guy, which isn’t easy. I commend him for jumping into the seat with less than a day notice.

I think you’re being overly critical. He wasn’t boring. Could he use a few broadcasting training classes? Sure, but he’s largely untrained and just using his passion and knowledge about the game to bring good commentary. He wasn’t boring and did a very nice job balancing the PBP guy, which isn’t easy. I commend him for jumping into the seat with less than a day notice.
I don't disagree with anything you said. Been watching him for years now, and I think he's really gotten better and better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom